lloking for a good sound card

Im in the process of building a studio for myself

and was curious as to what sound card (s) are

perfect for high quality music production..

I would love to hear all of your input 

regards

221742[/snapback]

how many i/o's do you want, and whats the price range? :)

how many i/o's do you want, and whats the price range?  :)

221745[/snapback]

My price range (at the moment)

is anywhere between 500-1000

I have no real preference for the number

of inputs being that my price range is limited

-- although--

I would love to be able to connect my guitar, a controller,

and a few older analogue drum machine/synths

and record them in real time.

Im using a celeron processor (not the best but not bad)

with 80gb of space, windows xp (if all this matters)

thank you for the help

Im using a celeron processor (not the best but not bad)

with 80gb of space, windows xp (if all this matters)

221769[/snapback]

Celeron........Woah! :o

I had really bad experience with my Celeron!

I even changed my Soundcard because the latency was TERRIBLE. But after the new soundcard installation I still had programs like Reason freaking out under the strain and Cubase was still a joke.

I am told that the Celeron is the WORST card for soft-synth based music production and basically anything that uses live real-time playback. They say it's a "Multimedia" processor that likes Games and DVD playback and that's all!

I would suggest first getting a new Processor. Then a new soundcard!

I got a P4 Hyper-Threaded beauty (P4 HT), and it changed my life! :D I use a silly little AUDIGY soundcard, and my P.C kicks ass! It's incredible! Awesome latency with ASIO at 48 000khz and it runs smooth! And Cubase and Reason are finally friends. Yay!

boooooooooooooooom!

Maybe you should spend some money on upgrading your pc first, but thats up to you off course.

go for a motu soundcard or maybe the rme fireface?

presonus also have a new racksoundcard, its called something with "fire" too.

you could also look at the Tascam fw-1884

demon, if you want high quality and let's say "final" solution for soundcard, go for rme fireface 800, it's superb quality, has digital mixing - this helps your cpu alot, i've read in some cases 20-30% cpu enhance. In future, when you will need more analogue inputs, you just buy professional AD converter and connect it digitaly via ADAT interface with the Fireface. You can't go wrong with this.

But really depends on how much money you want to spend.

Definitely for professional work, you don't need to upgrade your computer, you have to buy something around 3ghz with fast memories and harddisks, or if you want to be safe, buy a mac.

If it's a lot of money, it depends if you do it for fun or do it professionally.

For 1000EU, you can get quite good PC, p4-3ghz HT 800fsb, 1gb PC3200 ram, 160gb harddrive, with delta 1010lt which is ideal for home use (had it for some time, was great, you have lot of inputs and outputs, you can connect lines, mics, spdif,midi.

or go for amd64 technology if you have software support, looks like first amd cpu i'm looking reviews for on net :)

also, there is now behringer ddx3216 on sale very cheap, it is digital mixer with 16 motorized faders, the price is around 450-500EU, maybe it's not bad idea to put in the computer only the ADAT card (it costs around 150-170EU), rme for example, so your computer has digital 8in / 8 out (or put 2cards if you want) to ddx mix where you connect also your other devices (the ddx has also 16mic preamps i think). It's quite clean solution...

Only thing why i also didn't bought ddx were these strange rumours around net talking about the construction quality of the mix, i'm in slovakia and waiting time when you order ddx is at least 6 weeks (there is no piece in shops), so when i image that the mix will be fucked up after a month and i will have to break my work and wait 2 months or longer till they gave me repaired unit is terrible imagination. But i'm not sure about this, some people are saying it's good, some bad and people that don't reviews on net are just happy when they buy and plug it :)

mylo: if you put for example m-audio audiophile soundcard in celeron, then it's as significiant change as when you upgrade the cpu, the work is completely different. at least in logic, kx asio was so bad when i compare to m-audios ), was also less stable..

games are also realtime playback, few of my friends are fine with celeron, but they are definitely not doing psy music :)