Why is Hallucinogen considered to be the best?

Zewu

Well, a hallucinogen album first brought me to Goa Trance so te me personally it's something special :) ... First of all, it's the weak kick and the rythm that's in a way quite atypical for trance music... I think it is mostly atmosphere/buildup/layering that's so exceptional about Posford's tracks. On every single Posford track you can listen to - instantly the music evokes pictures in your mind, hypnotizes you and doesn't become any boring even after thousands of listens.

its that one song

gamma goblins part 2 !!!

wich makes him popular.

they should make more leprechaun tracks like that me thinks...

does anyone now some of that style of goa?

In our smallish psy trance world I'd put my head on the line and say that 'Twisted ' is THE seminal album. The one that took trance to a new more sophisticated level. For sure, Hallucinogen is one of the best 3 psy acts IMO. Juno Reactor is another. I'd probably say GNOTR as the third but they only made one album plus several tracks that appeared on compilations. The thing I like about Hallucinogen is that he has strong hooks in his tunes and a quirky element as you can year in 'Snarling black Mabel' and 'Mi-loony-um'.

hmmm

i don't consider Hallucinogen as 'the best' or whatever, but I do think that Simon Posford is one of the... Incredibly musical, I enjoy all his work, especially the more chill out work.

Shpongle is already legendary and very influential to a lot of artists. Then, other things he did whether alone or together, like Younger Brother, Infinity Project, Mystery of the Yeti etc. are very well produced.

Have never understood the fascination with X-Dream or Astral Projection etc. Maybe cause I didnt get to know them from the start but they kinda suck hard if you ask me :P

(maybe it's better not to ask me, then ;))

There is a hallucinogen track on the new Unusual Suspects compilations, and based on this interview I think he is still going to release hallucinogen tracks.

Besides who says that he's the best, I think only people who don't know that much goa or psy find that. He's very good but when you get to know more stuff you can't keep saying he's the best. Been there too once :rolleyes:

but one thing is true.. the first track in the celtic cross cd kicks ass

No, it's "has".

221826[/snapback]

I've thought about this and I think that the word "has" actually derives from "haves". Think about it, all verbs in third person singular in English are the infinitive with an "s" at the end of it. Infinitve here is "have", so the logical way to write "have" in third person is "haves". It is just that "have" is such a common word that "haves" has been abbreviated to "has".

Two of my MOST PSYCHEDELIC experiences I ever had:

-- When I smoked dmt just in time my acid trip was at its peak.

-- A night time set of HALLUCINOGEN at last year's Australian Earthcore party.

222372[/snapback]

oh yeah and i forgot to mention on the first experience above, i was in my room listening to SHPONGLE.

massive respect to Simon Posford

and another thing i find funny is that he calls himself HALLUCINOGEN.

he surely knows what he is doing with his music.

• 9 years later...

His works are very creative, and also nicely produced. He doesn't throw random samples to his songs (like many producers do) to make them more "psychedelic" or unnecesarily complex, so everything sounds coherent and focused, making his music extremely enjoyable.

• Like 1

He is well known and has a fan club. Probably most of his fan club don't dig any deeper in psy music (maybe even electronic music) than him.

Personally I find his music overly weird in a hipsterish way, not a positive way. There are good parts, but it would be better if he wasn't trying so hard to be weird. I guess lots of people associate weird with psychedelic.

He has benefited somewhat from releasing very little psy in the past 15 years. Whereas others continued, evolved, and altered their legacy (i.e. Etnica) he more or less stopped near his peak and this creates somewhat of a legend.

That said, his peak is pretty damn high. The individuality, quirks, outright psychedelicness of his work is right near the top. I would also say that the fact he has a number of huuuuuge tracks that stand out from the rest (LSD, Gamma Goblins, Deranger, etc) help. Instant classics.

• Like 2

Guest The Hypnotic LFO Room

As always it's the ears that decide who's "the best". I always had somewhat of an issue when people declare someone "the best". The best of what? His music is his music and he is good at what he does just as many other artists are good at what they do just taking their music in another direction. Just because he was very good at what he did is not the same as he would be good at some other style of music or direction in psy or goa. It's all about the ear that listens and most of all taste. The technical point of view can be debated and example Shpongle makes use of samples taken directly from CD's which is fine with me but not that creative as some fans think. Maybe it takes one artist to spot another artist technical skills to really say if that person is a "genius". I do not like to use that word as it put people into a box they can't always fill out.

As an example it's just a "difficult" to make a minimal tune sound brilliant as it is to make a twisted psychedelic tune brilliant. It's two different artforms.

my 2 cents.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Simon Posford is a musical genius with one key flaw: his love of cheeeeeesy samples. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't but I think I'd appreciate his music more with (the right) 50% of the samples removed :P