Why is Hallucinogen considered to be the best?

Zewu

In the goa/psytrance scene, I think Hallucinogen seems to be widely acknowledged as the best or one of the best artists. I want to know why this is the case. Personally, I only find most of the Hallucinogen tracks to be "okay" but not at all among the best goa/psytrance I have heard.

I do notice however that his tracks seem very detailed and perhaps that's a possible explanation to why many people consider him so good. Do most people who think Hallucinogen is so good do so because that's the goa/psytrance they like listening to the most, or because his work is just very "well produced" with a lot of advanced layering and details?

his work is just very "well produced" with a lot of advanced layering and details?

221568[/snapback]

Yes!

he is not the best , he is one of the best. why? cause his music haves his unique style.

Also yes!

And he tend to keep his musical projects psychedelic, that is for me very important,

:)

not the best for me..

in fact, there is no ´best´... each with their own characteristics, and each artist brings and fits a certain mood and atmosphere.

His music does not reach me so much as to some others, but he does stand out of the average, that I can say for sure... and he has a ´funny´ side to his music which I enjoy somehow

Although he sure have become a technically capable producer with the years I cannot agree with his music really.

The early Hallucinogen stuff was not particularly well produced usually, but was for sure a bit original at the time.

Unfortunally I never really got of on the style and my disliking was first based on really suffering on a couple of parites with his livesets.

I just didn't find it very danceable.

Now the production is good, but a bit to polished for me.

I just cannot get along with music that has production that sounds like it has been someone struggleling to achive it.

Maybe is all the hours in the studio I spent that blocks me, but I want to hear music where it sounds like artists/producers that are enjoying themself.

I just feel i get a lot more from a good vibe and inspiration than someone trying to get something to be perfect.

When I started to listen to psy (year 2000) Infected Mushroom was my fave and I also wondered why the fuck Hallucinogen is considered better? The first Posford tracks I heard were Demention and Alpha Centauri. And I didn't like them at all. But over times I listened to them over and over and now I love those tracks. Since I heard LSD somewhere, Hallucinogen is my favourite trance artist.....

Still, when I finally 'got' the hallucinogen catch, there were a few tracks I didn't like much (Trancespotter, Gamma Goblins, Spiritually Antiseptic) and after some time I started to love those as well :lol:

I guess his music takes some time to .... umm.... I can't rmember the word in english at the moment :unsure: ... let's say 'understand', tho that's not what I mean....

Ofcourse not all people like his music even when hearing it over and over again, because his music is kindof specific.

BTW there is still one Hallucinogen track I don't like :ph34r: - Beautiful People. But concidering the history, I will start loving it some day :)

Although he sure have become a technically capable producer with the years I cannot agree with his music really.

The early Hallucinogen stuff was not particularly well produced usually, but was for sure a bit original at the time.

Unfortunally I never really got of on the style and my disliking was first based on really suffering on a couple of parites with his livesets.

I just didn't find it very danceable.

Now the production is good, but a bit to polished for me.

I just cannot get along with music that has production that sounds like it has been someone struggleling to achive it.

Maybe is all the hours in the studio I spent that blocks me, but I want to hear music where it sounds like artists/producers that are enjoying themself.

I just feel i get a lot more from a good vibe and inspiration than someone trying to get something to be perfect.

221576[/snapback]

good point really... :)

hallu is gone now , never heard more music from this fella.

Twisted was a landmark that set the standard for complex Goa trance... the production isn't so great on that groundbreaking debut, but in this period of time he worked with many artists - The Infinity Project, Dick Trevor, Space Tribe, Doof, and Slinky Wizard - and helped to forge the sound. For that we can give him respect. The early tunes that he helped to produce generally sound better than other songs from the group on their own. Later with The Lone Deranger he really came into full bloom with what I consider to be great production and incredible song-writing skills. It is so completely different and unique and utterly mind-blowingly psychedelic that one cannot help but trip out listening to the album. Shpongle came out around that time as well, another masterpiece. What's not to love?

The years after TLD were slow - some good songs, some mediocre stuff... in the post-millenial era I agree that the sound had become too polished at times, and wasn't so exciting... however, his new collaborations - especially on Unusual Suspects 2 - are wickedly psychedelic. I do find his music to be as good as the reputation... he's made some of the best Goa trance ever conceived, and his trance remains very psychedelic to this day. Hallucinogen is fantastic, now stop the hating ;)

I do notice however that his tracks seem very detailed and perhaps that's a possible explanation to why many people consider him so good. Do most people who think Hallucinogen is so good do so because that's the goa/psytrance they like listening to the most, or because his work is just very "well produced" with a lot of advanced layering and details?

221568[/snapback]

Yes, AmithabaBuddha beat me to it. Simon Postford; Hallucinogen is one of the best artists for several reasons. Why you may ask, is Hallucinogen ranked so high?, like you always hear positive, never negative things about Hallucinogen, ya know? And on top of that, its been 7 years since the last album! People still talk about Hallucinogen like crazy! Like Hallucinogen, the same has gone for, generally speaking:

*Astral Projection

*X-Dream

*Pleiadians

*Transwave

One big reason is the times when they released their work.

When I hear several Pink Floyd songs I may like now for example, I really don't see the big deal. I think, man if this was released 10-15 years ago, I'd probably think it was great or much better than just pretty good stuff, but in actuality, Pink Floyd was around in the 60's-70's I think, which would have made his music groundbreaking! Differences aside (styles, genra's) however, the goa scene just really began to get slightly known in the early-mid 90's. Those several artists above (especially AP and Hallucinogen) are maybe the few of just several of the first biggest, considered groundbreaking (for their unique styles) goa artists to produce groundbreaking goatrance, whether you like the style or not.

Another BIG reason for Hallucinogen to still be so popular and regarded so highly is because of how the music developed, in short it didn't after 1998. His last album was a masterpiece; it went out in glory in stead of releasing something inferior. Think about it. X-Dream basically PEEKED with their huge hit XD's - Radio and side project, The Delta. Granted, their style was never as ellaborate and layered as Hallucinogen, but if they stopped making music at their best, their greatest times, do you think they'd be loved more or not? With X-Dream and Astral Projection, they continued to make music past their primes and biggest successes, which overall, wasn't as great and impressive / innovative as it used to be. I think when you reach your peek and start to come down, its sometimes best to take a break and re-evaluate the situation so you don't start putting out crap or rehashing your own stuff. In the middle of the 90's, when goatrance seemed to be at its highest, ONE very unique, groundbreaking artist just stopped. Some others stopped too of course, but none overall more impressive overall than Simon Postford. So people remembered back to those first two excellent albums and how they felt in those times because like Starwars, NOTHING ELSE came close to it visually. But UNLIKE STARWARS, the visuals in goa faded away and overall lessoned into the wave of more minimal and mainstream projects, leaving just two albums by Hallucinogen (and several others, but others who have tainted their image more than Hallucinogen overall) ...absolutely priceless.

If The Matrix ended without the flawed, not REALLY necessary or great sequels, would your impression of The Matrix be higher or lower? I know the answer. For most people, if The Matrix ended with the first one, you'd obvoiusly be hearing much more positive things than not, but because of the sequels, people's minds associates to the last thing they remember, which is the inferior Matrix Revolutions, because thats the last thing that came from The Matrix. The luster has warn off this once ellaborate masterpiece because of how not well done, deeper, innovative, and ellaborate as the first, the story ended. Same goes for music... Hallucinogen could potentially never have another main album again, but just because people "THINK" it could be amazing, (because of his first two albums) thats reason enough why some people do consider him the best, and overall most people like myself are realistic; we have other groundbreaking albums to compare him to, and so we consider him as one of the best. :)

As the saying goes: "Less is more.

Hallucinogen is by definition, quality over quantity.

In the goa/psytrance scene, I think Hallucinogen seems to be widely acknowledged as the best or one of the best artists. I want to know why this is the case. Personally, I only find most of the Hallucinogen tracks to be "okay" but not at all among the best goa/psytrance I have heard.

Production skills <flame away!>, Songwriting and the fact that he was one of the first so he knows where Trance came from... not just where it's going.

I saw him in Cape Town on NYE 2000! The organisers called him a day before he flew down for the show and asked him if he had anything special planned for the 2000 countdown.< He was playing at 12:00 and would bring in the New Year. >

Unfortunately there was a break in commuinications and Simon had nothing planned. In 8 hours < or so the legend goes...> he cooked up "Milloonium". Before he got on the plane !

Now that's kick ass! He's solid. I have a lot of respect for good ol' Simon P. Legend has it that Steinberg test their new software on him.

I never play his tunes cos they don't fit in my sets, but my favourite Hallucinogen track is "The Beautiful People".

booooooooooom!

I love Simon Posford. He is in the scene from the beginning, and even though his music wasn't brilliantly produced in the beginning he surely knew how to make music and melodies. His album TWISTED is landmark of an album. THE LONE DERANGER is also brilliant and he only released few singles which apart from MAGIK were all great. I also feel sorry he is not producing trance anymore...But he has been very hard working in ambient/downtempo/dub and he is also great there, so that is why he might be considered as one of the best and he surely is. What is important is that he is musically very talented and to me that is what is most important in making music, to make music and not throw effects and sounds around beautifully arranged...;)

Twisted was a landmark that set the standard for complex Goa trance... the production isn't so great on that groundbreaking debut, but in this period of time he worked with many artists - The Infinity Project, Dick Trevor, Space Tribe, Doof, and Slinky Wizard - and helped to forge the sound. For that we can give him respect. The early tunes that he helped to produce generally sound better than other songs from the group on their own. Later with The Lone Deranger he really came into full bloom with what I consider to be great production and incredible song-writing skills. It is so completely different and unique and utterly mind-blowingly psychedelic that one cannot help but trip out listening to the album. Shpongle came out around that time as well, another masterpiece. What's not to love?

The years after TLD were slow - some good songs, some mediocre stuff... in the post-millenial era I agree that the sound had become too polished at times, and wasn't so exciting... however, his new collaborations - especially on Unusual Suspects 2 - are wickedly psychedelic. I do find his music to be as good as the reputation... he's made some of the best Goa trance ever conceived, and his trance remains very psychedelic to this day. Hallucinogen is fantastic, now stop the hating ;)

221623[/snapback]

ditto - nice one Basilisk :D

However, does anyone remeber the set he played at 2002 Samothraki Dance Festival? It was the last set of the festival - such a shame...but still Great!!

there is no best ... And what is considered :rolleyes: ...

One of the reason off couse is his quality and the fact that he was at a certain point of the evolution of goa 'way ahead' other goa artist...

& think the main reason is the fact that he is involved into many goa projects and you really can't miss him... Everyone will like at least one thing of simon cause he made so many stuff... (not everyone but you know what I mean)...

and a good name off course, lots of people begin to listen at psytrance with hallucinogen & infected mushroom (or used to be)... it's their first expierience and the best... :)

As others have pointed out, Simon Posford's (Hallucinogen) albums Twisted and Lone Deranger were milestones in the history of our beloved trance. I still remember the day I heard 'LSD' for the first time...about 10 years ago. Time passes...

When judging music, it is helpful to be kind enough to take into account when the tracks were released. If one listens to them nowadays, one can complain that Phuture's Acid Trax sounds boring and Afrika Bambataa's Planet Rock sounds amateurish...but that is missing the point is it not?

Of course, Hallucinogen's albums have dated somewhat and production, techniques and technology have moved on. And no, his albums were not revolutionary in the same measure as the two examples that I gave. But they were damn good and innovative when they came out.

Pedro

Sometimes I ask myself that question... <_<

....and then I listen to Gamma Goblins pt 2, Space Pussy, Deranger, Trancespotter, Jiggle of the Sfinx, Long Long Arms, Herb Garden, E, Magik and Stretch Tastic.... :lol:

....and the answer presents itself :rolleyes:

I think Hallucinogen is the anti christ of psytrance!!!

He's just too good compared to the rest.

Now I lost interest in alot of other music!

Without him, i maybe would have liked full-on!

It's all his fault people always dislike skazi & full on!

//don't take me too serious on this one

Twisted was my first goa trance CD.

I think that's why i love Simon's music so much.

I played it constanly on repeat in those days.

never got tired of ot.

Still listen to it few times a month.

Never will get tired of it.

It's like a door to good feelings & memories for me.

Some people take photo's or make movies to remember good times.

I've got Twisted. :)

Am I wrong or did I red in this topic that simon isn't making music anymore under 'hallucinogen'... I thought he played at a goaparty here in belgium (didn't go)... under the name 'hallucinogen' with some new fresh music... Reading the reviews from the party back then everybody was 100% positive about the music quality...

I could be mistaken... Any confirm ???

Am I wrong or did I red in this topic that simon isn't making music anymore under 'hallucinogen'... I thought he played at a goaparty here in belgium (didn't go)... under the name 'hallucinogen' with some new fresh music... Reading the reviews from the party back then everybody was 100% positive about the music quality...

I could be mistaken... Any confirm ???

221944[/snapback]

Music played at the party was all old stuff. No new tracks. It just sounded different sometimes because he was playing it live.

But i did hear something lately there would be a 3rd hallucinogen album soon.

Don't know if it's only a rumour or not.