What exactly is "Full-on"?

healium

Can anyone please tell me? Honestly I have no idea what is full on because it all sounds like what I would call "full-on", except maybe the lower BPM minimal stuff like Reefer Decree..

Am I right that it's just high BPM melodic/maximal psytrance?

Is stuff like old Astral Projection and Pleiadians "Full-on" then?

When Hux Flux "Division by Zer0" came out people were calling that full-on, but that isn't really melodic...

Isn't all psytrance high BPM though?

I've been meaning to ask this question for a long time...

well no need to mention that genres are very arbitrary decisions of subjective opinions, right? each one calls whatever he feels like and all that shit

but to me, what is full on?

I cant define exactly, but when I hear that over-used rolling bassline, those same kind of breaks and build ups and those scratchy sounds and many many layers, I call it full on...

is all psytrance high bpm? well.. not really .. I mean, if you consider prog inside this ´trance´ category, then there are low bpm trance.. and also on the un-fixed borders between trance and house, it can get as low as 130 or even less bpm...

I preffer the lower bpm stuff myself.. 140 is already too much, but I can accept.. above that is too much and I cant even stay on the dancefloor.. 130-135 works the best on the dancefloor for me :)

Am I right that it's just high BPM melodic/maximal psytrance?

full on is high bpm, the bassline is the most important part. But the melodies are more simple then goa trance. The FX used in full on are more regular compared to goa trance. Full on uses melodies but is rarely musical.

Is stuff like old Astral Projection and Pleiadians "Full-on" then?

no that's goa trance. full on is less melody, more bassline.

Isn't all psytrance high BPM though?

Today most psytrance is above 145 bpm

Old skool is more 138-145. To have a good trance expierence 138- 145 is much better.

145 bpm is the speed sporters use to get the best results. If you have a good health then 145 is the fastest a man can run without getting tired. I gave a sporter a goa trance cd and he always uses it to train nowadays. :P

When the bmp is +145 people will get tired and that will limit the trance experience. :(

145 is the guilder cut, it will get you the deepest, most distant experience.

For me, it's been a while since i experienced a good trance.

I don't use drugs so i can't dance to full on for hours in a row.

maybe my last decent trance was longer then a year ago.

but hey, i can still get drunk, smoke weed & annoymy friends at parties so no complaints :lol:

Hmm   

what do you mean by that?  :)

221558[/snapback]

At big trance party's I / we see more and more DJ's using Full-On and trance music in their sets. Like "Flemming 00 something". He playes alot of Full-On, like Astrix ect in his "trance2 sets.

And England is really catching on to Full-On (the club scene) So this just means in simple terms that Full-On (witch acctualy is the commercial side of Goa/psytrance) will be more presented in Clubs ect. then it used to be. Because.. Full-On is "the hipp next thing" (see it from a regular persons eyes that dont know about psytrance/Goa that much.

IM and Astrix are among the bigger names today, and in the future (?)

+ that when people say that Goa/psytrance is getting more and more popular, it is really (the new) Full-On style they are refering to. Because imo. The new Full-On is listener friendly.. and Ergo... well.. you know what i mean. :)

At big trance party's I / we see more and more DJ's using Full-On and trance music in their sets. Like "Flemming 00 something". He playes alot of Full-On, like Astrix ect in his "trance2 sets.

And England is really catching on to Full-On (the club scene) So this just means in simple terms that Full-On (witch acctualy is the commercial side of Goa/psytrance) will be more presented in Clubs ect. then it used to be. Because.. Full-On is "the hipp next thing" (see it from a regular persons eyes that dont know about psytrance/Goa that much.

IM and Astrix are among the bigger names today, and in the future (?)

+ that when people say that Goa/psytrance is getting more and more popular, it is really (the new) Full-On style they are refering to. Because imo. The new Full-On is listener friendly.. and Ergo... well.. you know what i mean. :)

221566[/snapback]

and yea its no good! ;)

its also the feeling that i dont enjoy , everytime i listen to a fullon song i feel myself as a stupid drug dealer and i feel like those damn commercial freaks! so its also about the feeling. lets stop talking about fullon shall we? go and listen to Goa , thats a direct order! B)

all psytrance that i dont like

i call full on

or powertrance.

sometimes wicked full on exsist

sometimes...

shift

rinkadink...

there's still one question to me: Is only the commercial stuff with goofy melodies like Astrix considered full-on or is darker hard in-your-face Psy like Fungus Funk and Kindzadza Full-On, too?

221595[/snapback]

hehe.. We human beeings shure need boxes to understand.. Fungus Funk ect ect ect is refered to as "PsyCore and "dark psy" :)

all psytrance that i dont like

i call full on

or powertrance.

sometimes wicked full on exsist

sometimes...

shift

rinkadink...

221589[/snapback]

...absolum

cpu...

i like full on. i got into trance through astral projection and cosmosis but when i heard full on i thought it was a definate improvement. much more effort put in productionwise i'd say, and a lot more thought put into the drums. I think a lot of people don't like it cos "it just aint trancey enough". more people should just forget about what label it may or may not come under and enjoy it as a new genre thats at least doing something different. That's not to say i'm not getting a little tired of the amount of releases that sound exactly the same and follow the full on formula. but there are some artists who are full on but have there own unique sound.

i'll shut up now. :ph34r:

there's still one question to me: Is only the commercial stuff with goofy melodies like Astrix considered full-on or is darker hard in-your-face Psy like Fungus Funk and Kindzadza Full-On, too?

221595[/snapback]

FOR GOD SAKE DON'T PUSH IT :o

just kidding.

full on = bassline first, then little bit of percussion + add some 3 note melodies

dark psy = goooooooood percussion, then a deep dark bassline + some twisted sounds with innovative FX.

Dark psy like fungus funk & kindzadza have very good percussion & FX. Ever heard kindzadza make the bass go below hearingrange freq. & then reappear again. Man that's wicked music! it think lowest range humans can hear is 80 Hz, so kindzadza goes 75 - 85 , 75 - 85 in - out in - out. You don't hear the sound but at high decibel you still notice it's there. very strange. It doesn't sound musical but if you listen carefully you'll notice that guy is brilliant! He's more like an electronic wizard then musician.

221595[/snapback]

now i realize that goofy isnt an exclusive of Disney´s world.. :lol:

although i dont like most full on stuff these days, how would you classify Timecode's new album. The Turning? it is bloody fantastic. but it is full on...or is it? its much more complex and well produced than most Exail or Skazi or GMS or 1200 mics stuff. it actually sounds a bit less psychedelic and a bit more, hard trance-ish. i dont know. its very good though, but i think the term "Full-On" is gonna branch off into even more sub-catagories.. because to say you "hate full on" would mean you hate all of it. and there is actually quite a few, very very good, well produced, creative and original full on stuff out there...

imho of course ;)

For me there is just good or bad fullon, more bad then good cause I'm more into old skool... but I like some fullon a lot...

like my avatar - rastaliens is fullon and the release 'freestyle' is great I rate 10/10 so... the first release of 1200 mics I found very refreshing back then and still respect it a lot....

What is fullon...

My personal definition of fullon is that it has always been the fastest & hardest psytrance on the goa market... Everytime it got bigger, faster & stronger. So fast that comparing too what we used to call fullon isn't like fullon anymore... If you take the xerox - freeman released tracks from 1998 (who are fullon) and compare it to present morning fullon 2004-2005 you wouldn't call it like fullon anymore... It just sounds more goatrance to me then fullon...

Conclusion, the conecpt fullon has been influenced by evolution IHMO...

So maybe the fullon of today won't sound fullon anymore in a couple of years :D

One thing is for sure... the fullon of today has got a real specifiek formula...

for me there are 4 big differences:

-the bassline (that's the most obvious difference, is always the same)

-the layers (modern full on acts only use 1 melodic layer... Mfg used 5!! (check we are the machines etc)

-the climaxes (you can always EXACTLY say when a climax will come in modern full on, mostly they have a FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIw sound on it to make it even MORE clearly, in older full on they surprised you a lot)

-the same sounds are copied exactly all the time!

197291[/snapback]

this description anoebis wrote a long time ago but really fitted IMHO...

comparing to older fullon who hasn't got that typical formula... It's just goatrance faster and more melodic...

Dark psy like fungus funk & kindzadza have very good percussion & FX. Ever heard kindzadza make the bass go below hearingrange freq. & then reappear again. Man that's wicked music! it think lowest range humans can hear is 80 Hz, so kindzadza goes 75 - 85 , 75 - 85 in - out in - out. You don't hear the sound but at high decibel you still notice it's there. very strange. It doesn't sound musical but if you listen carefully you'll notice that guy is brilliant! He's more like an electronic wizard then musician.

but i think the term "Full-On" is gonna branch off into even more sub-catagories.. because to say you "hate full on" would mean you hate all of it. and there is actually quite a few, very very good, well produced, creative and original full on stuff out there...

Thank fuk some sanity has prevailed in this discussion. What about the massive amount of simply twisted aural mayhem that gets released or unr and is hardly noticed? I cant believe that the same "GMS clone, fuck Skazi and Astrix rhetoric is continiually regurgitated! Its as if we have a boxing ring and the red corner is the "ol' skool goa heads" and the blue corner is the "new wave full on crew" and the rest of us are in the audience yelling "hurry up and belt the christ out of one another so we can piss off and listen to some decent tunes" :P

Check out this baby. It's better then The Turning imo.

Hey Insejn! Nice one. Do you have both releases? Are you comparing them through listening?My Midnight storm hasn't arrived yet, I really enjoy timecode stuff, that Artifakt - Nosferatu trak is simply amazing. Hail the Artifakt.

Personally i couldn't give a flying fuck what full on is, but I will recommend one recent release that is simply psy mayhem. Psy yours 3 - Parvati recs.

Its just great, brutal psy. Fix the fluff..... :lol: