Psy Equipment

Posted this in the general forum , completely forgot about this one

Anybody making psytrance, what kind of equipment do u use? synths, programs etc.

I mainly use Reason and have various VSTs I use with Cubase, (mostly NI instruments) and have an Andromeda A6.

My "dream quartet" of VST plugin consists of:

- Audiorealism Bassline (great for thumping and heavy basslines)

- ReFX Vanguard (does most of the synthwork, great in producing metallic Leads, 303's, Gated and Arpeggiated Synths, bassline and FX also)

- Linplug Albino (great for wierd Psy FX, this one is a really powerful synth capable of almost everything)

- Spectrasonics Atmosphere (sample-based pad- and ambient-synth, great for atmospheric soundscapes - and some very nice pads!)

I also use some free Plugins, one worth mentioning is EffEm - it's a quite nice FM-Synth, great for Psy!

I use Reason, Nuendo and VSTs...

great VSTs: Waves, Voxengo, Native Instruments, Orange Vocoder, Lexicon

VST Instruments: Vanguard, Albino, Korg Wavestation, Atmosphere (this almost seems a copy of Cybernetika's)

against my will, i have a giant tendency of making everything from scratch @ reason, not using too much VST instruments.. wich sound great!!

I definitely have to go find some kind of reason addiction treatment :blink::rolleyes:

I noticed nobody really uses hardware then, I was planning on getting some new synths, Fantom XR and V-synth XT, what are ur opinions of these and would u recommend any other hardware/synths.

Do u think software is the way forward, In my experience I was always against hardware having started out on Reason, but I'm begining to think that hardware has the edge over software, quality-wise, this is quite obvious when I use the Andromeda and compare it to the likes of the Subtractor in Reason.

well i said i have a nord lead so that's hardware.. :)

as far as software vs hardware i feel that spftware is def good enough..

but hardware has an extra warmth to it, especially analog synths... and my nord has some pretty fat filters and oscillators... a little bit better than the software i use... i am no expert though :)

i currently own a kurzweil k2000, nord modular and korg oasys, all sitting in a closet collecting dust.

I personally think they all sound better than any software i own but its so much easier to have all the patches saved within a project(not to mention messing with piles of IO cables) that its not worth bothering with for a bit better sound quality that in the final mix no one will care about anyway.

I'm begining to think that hardware has the edge over software, quality-wise, this is quite obvious when I use the Andromeda and compare it to the likes of the Subtractor in Reason.

220110[/snapback]

Subtractor is a really basic softsynth, I dropped Reason a little while back because your only analog synths are Subtractor and Maelstrom. I know lots of people coax brilliant sounds out of it, but its only software, there should be at least 10 unique sounding analogy synths in Reason. And you have to manually patch effects in. You don't get to select a patch, hit a key and go *wow*

Hardware rules in that you get hundreds of sounds all instantly available. If that's good for you (it sure is for me), then get hardware once you have researched and know what you're getting. But it doesn't sound better. Your artistry in making things work together makes the music sound better.

You can do everything in software and midi controllers, it appears that most people do these days. Neither option is clearly better. What's clearly better for me is that hardware's workflow makes more sense to me. And I make more music and with less effort than on a computer.

Live

I use Reason, Cubase, Wavelab, An200, MS2000... and a load of VST.

Also have an ATARI next to me, but no programs for the moment... But soon.

Will soon get a new soundcard, and monitors... hope so... :blink:

I also us my sick brain... :P

Mabey we could get a topic where we tell about our gear(music gear)... perverts.

And mabey put up some pictures... If some one would like that.

I use a mac powerbook g4 1.3 ghz with one meg of ram

korg triton 61 key workstation

Elektron monomachine

Soon to have a access virus TI 61 key synth

X-session

Layla 24

KrK monitors

Im a hardware guy....Sure the whole world is moving towards softsynths and thats cool with me... you can all sell me your hardware for cheap and drive the prices down!

namaste,

kenton

I mainly Use

My Novation Remote 25 with my Virus B and Nord rack 2 .

I have a ok soundcard , and some studio speakers( Near05 )

And i rec some samples on my condenser mic that runs thru a mini preamp and thru my mixer .

Thats what i use for hardware

Software . I love the waves Renassaince series , and Vanguard and Z3ta + is also to be found in my vsti setup , For my full on bass i use the v station .. Its great for this Imo .

Next step xeon ,adam speakers a rme fireface soundcard .

I use FL, Cubase and some VST's like Asynth 3, Trilogy (powerfull bass sinthesizer) reFX Vanguard... @WinXP pro.. but I desided to do this with mac and I'm gonna take mini mac.. BUT... I'm not sure i can use normal PC display... and apple's one is very expensive :( can u somebody help with this whole mac stuff.??

thanx alot. ;)

Guest .::E.P

I use FL, Cubase and some VST's like Asynth 3, Trilogy (powerfull bass sinthesizer) reFX Vanguard... @WinXP pro.. but I desided to do this with mac and I'm gonna take mini mac.. BUT... I'm not sure i can use normal PC display... and apple's one is very expensive :( can u somebody help with this whole mac stuff.??

thanx alot. ;)

224051[/snapback]

I would not buy a mini mac for Music purpose. It's build in Hardisk is way too slow for that. Yes you can use a PC monitor and I think the Mini come with a cable for that. You should go to www.appple.com and look at the specs.

Just for your info. You can not use your PC plugin's on a Mac and most PC plugin's are not made for mac. The mac is best used with Logic'as new program that include the various Logic plugins + good old Hardware ;)