Orion - Futuristic Poetry (2005) [Avatar Records]

amphiton

This Orion album is the only one i like from them, it is in my top ten goa trance album ... a wonderfull old school album with lot off quality and originality ... i will buy it for sure.

I made a review in the old review section, i paste it here :

Thursday, April 24, 2003

Wow, what an album ! I can't believe it is from 1997, it's full off a very nice fresh sound, very dynamic and powerfull. Track after track : (1)Nazca Spider: Great track which directly indicate the style off the album with this nice sweet (shy) drum, unforgettable eletronic acid sound, at 4:00 the melody appear, and the sound bring the atmosphere. a Good track 8.5/10. (2)The Source: A killer track with a crazy bassline, a very nice break with oriental voice and tribal percussion, the end is unforgetable 9.5/10 (3)Rooster : The famous track with the cocorico, strange, this track is good but not more, some interesting idea, but it appear as the funny track. 6.5/10 (4)Beyond the others track, Funkadelic is more a complex bassline work, no really melody, but the complexity off the bassline is very interesting and deserve to this track a very enjoyable listening. Fresh sound all over the track as each tracks in Futursic Peotry 7/10 (5)Caracol: Same building as the 2 first track but in more disapointing, nice work but not my cup off tea, maybe i miss something...but i see this track more as a transition track (a building up for the great next track) 6.5/10 (6)Akeru oo great famous Akeru, here is a very very interesting track, i advice it to the intelligent goa lover, i just love it, it's very well build and progressive, few differents melodies and sounds appear in the track, when you are totally into the move, it's really great 9.5/10. (7)The Souce (mixed by Elysium) : An other tribal oriented track, awesome synth sound too, great voice, very nice atmosphere but it miss energy 8/10. (8)Highway. With this slower track for outro we track the highway to bo gack to the real world this track start with very nice liquid sound, beetween water and highway. It's really nice, 8.5/10 I can say the album Futursic Poetry is the mixture of the melodic side off the old school album and the fresh sound of the new psytrance. A mixture off the tribal ambiance of juno reactor and the energic rythmic off M.O.S. I have the feeling to voyage all over the world with a spaceship, and for few track here, to travel in a highway by space cars. NO bad track, nice atmosphere in the whole album, Orion thanx for the voyage. I like very much. Final Verdict 8.75/10 Boom !

Maden

I hope it can help you :) Boooom

• 2 months later...

Never listened to the original album, but this remastered version sounds quite fresh, of course old school, but still fresh, the music is very chaotic, very varied, The source is stunning. Recommended to any old school nostalgic who like twisted psytrance, very chaotic without big melodies.

• 1 month later...
Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I never consider Orion as a top notch goa artist. I knew The Source Elysium remix due to compilation & that was the only track i could bare from Orion.

I must admit my opinion has evolved a bit about the guy with this remastered album. I still don't list Jean Borelli as a must have goa artist nonetheless i'm pretty sure this first album Futuristic Poetry is by far his best for a single reason : the presence of Mino Vaknin as co-producer, the long drummer experience of this guys has really impacted the production sound & confers real energy that too much lacks in other Borelli's work.

My peak level: Rooster (starting from the cock sample the tune drives me crazy)

My favourites: The Source (original & Elysium remix),Funkadelic,Caracol & Akeru

I dislike The Nazca Spider, sounds like the more recent Orion tunes for me, flat, boring, uninteresting.

I like a few of the recent Orion tunes. High quality morning dancefloor material, much better than the regular "full-on" bullshit.

Guest antic

...I dislike The Nazca Spider, sounds like the more recent Orion tunes for me, flat, boring, uninteresting...

I have to disagree with you completely about your statement here.

Orion's last album (Artificial Frequencies, Solstice) was for me the best album of 2003! At first it doesn't sound quite impressive, but the more you listen to it, it grows on you and reveals new things. For "untrained" ear it may sound like many other full-on clones released nowadays, but it surely isn't. I'd call his sound very musical and psychedelic. Notice with how many layers of different sounds, textures, acidy squelches and other unidentified Orion builds his music. He does not go for easy synth melodies so popular this days - instead he creates multi-textural sequences of sounds, that form rythmic and musical patterns. It IS trancey AND psychedelic, without sounding cheesy or amateurish...

And about the drums. True that Mino added some special groove to his older tracks, but I think you didn't listen to the newer tracks very closely. In most of them percussions are created with at least two or three drum loops, that are mixed, flanged and filtered in- and out- of the mix. With a foundation of steady kick and funky, syncopated hihats, this creates totally groovy backbone for his music. But of course, you probably think Eskimo makes great percussion, so it's no use to discuss about it any further ;-)

His new album is going to be released at the beggining of July.

• 1 year later...

I might as well confess up front that I have only gotten to know this album now with the release of the Avatar reissue. So what's a supposedly 1995 "goa classic" doing to unbiased ears almost 10 years after its' release?

Reconfirming my passion for midnineties goa! This album represents all the things I look to goa for. All tracks oozes creativity, psychedelic madness, and an urge for story telling. Moreover, the tracks identify themselves as individual tracks. There's no simple formula here that's being adhered to. Not that there is anything wrong with formulas. They're outthere for good reasons. Borelli & Vaknin is just so packed with ideas on FP that they couldn't stick to a formula if they wanted to. Like track 2 The Source. This progresses smoothly when they decide to break it down, build up with tribal drums, add a new rhytm which is just about to go mayheem, when they decide to kick in with another beat. All logic says this shouldn't work. But it does! A-fucking-mazing!!

Goa trance may never obtain mainstream popularity with the challenges it presents to the listener. But, damn, those of us who aren't afraid of challenges are in for treats after treats here.

Nuff said. Almost ten years after its' release this album still entertains with a vengeance in the fast forwarding electronica world. Thank you, Avatar, for making it readily available! Now I just gotta dig deep for that original release ...

• 5 months later...

Jean this is my respect to you guy for just make me love to be in my first ever party event that took place in the underground ACID place.

That party was the one of the best ever as I danced to so many groovy psychedelic goa mixed by this talent Jean Borelli!

Avatar Records thank you for keeping the goa spirit alive.

All the album is just a gem for a true goa fan.