What is psy?

MIT

Good link, but just one word EVOLUTION B)

219604[/snapback]

What is that supposed to mean?

Ah, I see... language has evoluted and the word psychedelic isn't used in the same way as it used to be.

Like "killer" doesn't mean "a person who killed somebody" anymore, but is used to describe a track the is really great.

Yeah, sure.

What is that supposed to mean?

Ah, I see... language has evoluted and the word psychedelic isn't used in the same way as it used to be.

Like "killer" doesn't mean "a person who killed somebody" anymore, but is used to describe a track the is really great.

Yeah, sure.

219607[/snapback]

No just word, the people are changing, the drugs are changing e.t.c.

You know in the past psymusic was rock, but in nowadays when you say psy most people understand electronic psychedelic trance and this is evolution. I like this evolution for now B)

For me it's about the music. I don't want my mind altered, I like it the way it is. :)

219623[/snapback]

For me, its even MORE about the music. psychedelic music works best when you are on psychedelics. it sounds better. fact. which is why i do it. its the only way to really experience the music. you hear in a much wider range. you can hear every sound crystal clearly. its just sounds way better when you are on psychedelics. and thats not even a matter of opinion. thats just the way it works. :)

i cant understand why some people get very upset with me when i say that drugs play a very important role in the psychedelic trance culture. they are all "its not about the drugs". true. its not about the drugs. its about the psychedelic experience.....but to access the experience.....you need psychedelic drugs. *duh* flame me to death. whatever.

219575[/snapback]

Your definition couldn't be more by-the-book, and I hardly see how you could be "flame to death" for stating the obvious. The very word "psychedelic" was coined because H. Osmond needed to describe his experiences with LSD in 1957 ! Trying to distinguish between psychedelia and the use of LSD is historically wrong.

But then some may argue that listening to Psy is similar TO SOME RESPECTS to the drug experience (perceiving sounds as colors being the main analogy for me). As you pointed out, it is imposible IMHO to equate listening to Psy with a true psychedelic experience, though some "side-effects" can be felt.

As for Psy sounding "better" while you're high, there is a lot of controversy around it...

J.

As for Psy sounding "better" while you're high, there is a lot of controversy around it...

219689[/snapback]

thanks for you comments. i think "better" was in inadequate word. i think "fuller" is a better one. it is a fact that when you are on psychedelic drugs your perception is hightened. i.e. you can see "more" and you can hear "more". imagine if your brain was a broadband line. 512kps. when you are on lsd, your brain is probably a nice fat 2mb pipe. therefore experiences whiles on it (like listening to psy, or doing whatever) seem deeper, fuller and more "nutritious". in a way. there is no doubt in my mind that listeing to psy while high (hey that rhymes!) definitly sounds fuller and deeper. its supposed to. ;)

Just take my word for it he's right. He's not forcing drug use or 'drugs-are-cool-so-do-em' mentalityupon the psy culture just stating the obvious which goes over some ppl's heads sometimes. Psychedelia and psychedelic. Those words and meanings would not exist without drugs, specifically LSD, but others too. You can achieve similar states with meditation or while dreaming, etc. But the 'psychedelic experience' is what you get using LSD, and that's where it comes from.

There is really no proving it, as much as proving that you won't fall if you jump out of an airplane or something. You can't be E-tarded if you've never been high on E. And of course you can enjoy this music without ever taking drugs. But it does help! hehehe

And of course some music needs drugs to be enjoyed at all, like say Happy Hardcore (shudders)

If it's not a matter of opinion, then I take it you can prove it somehow? :)

219840[/snapback]

well actually i can :)

1) go to a pstrance festival

2) stand in front of the speaker.

3) listen to the music

4) take some lsd

5) wait about an hour

6) go listen to the music again

theres your proof. :P

also, as mentioned above. i am NOT promoting use of LSD or other drugs. in fact. dont take the above seriously. but those who have will understand what i mean. im not saying its good. im not saying its bad. im just saying it is. ;)

Interesting opinions people...Youve enlightened me :)

I always saw psychedelic as being what it meant - taken from the greek

psyche = mind

delic = light

meaning light of the mind or enlightenment?

If this is enlightenment - have i just had a psychedelic experience??

My opinion would be that almost anything / situation can be psychedelic - if your in the right frame of mind...

Interesting opinions people...Youve enlightened me  :)

psyche = mind

delic = light

If this is enlightenment - have i just had a psychedelic experience??

My opinion would be that almost anything / situation can be psychedelic - if your in the right frame of mind...

220158[/snapback]

Exactely!

It is after all a mental state.

It is a profound state of intensified perceptions, which can be triggered by different things.

Music - Meditation - drugs - etc..

psyche = mind

delic = light

220158[/snapback]

I am not argueing about the root where the word psychedelic is derived from, namely mind and light., I am talking about the meaning of the word psychedelic as such.

New words get created from older ones and then given a meaning.

Take another example: Homeopathy: homoios = similar, pathos = suffering. The words homoios and pathos are the roots of the word homeopathy.

The theory of homeopathy got developed around 1800 and that's when the word homeopathy got the meaning as we know it.

Do you know anybody who referes to homeopathy as "similar suffering"?

I don't.

The same applies to the word psychedelic.

Psyche and delic are the roots. The word psychedelic is a fairly new creation though and got coined by Humphrey Osmond in the mid 50th, describing the effects of mind-altering chemicals such as LSD.

Of course in both cases the meaning of the word is connected to the roots it is derived from, but the meaning is more than a sum of the parts.

I am not argueing about the root where the word psychedelic is derived from, namely mind and light., I am talking about the meaning of the word psychedelic as such.

New words get created from older ones and then given a meaning.

The same applies to the word psychedelic.

Psyche and delic are the roots. The word psychedelic is a fairly new creation though and got coined by Humphrey Osmond in the mid 50th, describing  the effects of mind-altering chemicals such as LSD.

Of course in both cases the meaning of the word is connected to the roots it is derived from, but  the meaning is more than a sum of the parts.

220175[/snapback]

Hmmm - I bow before your intellect Eleria - well argued (for a draconian you certainly know your greek!) :P

However we must go back to the initial question at hand "What Is Psy?"

MIT wanted to know what we meant when we use the word "psy", he wanted our opinions - therefore he has asked us a particular question to which there can be a number of replies (I think by our own admissions we have shown that "Psy" can mean a great many things to a great many people, and not just from a time in the 50/60s - It has a long history as with any word - I think it is pertenant, as you mentioned, to show the connecting root of the word we use today - It gives a better understanding of why we use it (god bless those greeks)

x

psyche = mind

delic = light

220158[/snapback]

Well it must be

psyche = soul from the Greek ψυχη

and delic,it comes from the word delos which in Greek means clear,visible.

So now it makes more sense ;)