What is psy?

MIT

What is psy for you? I mean when you use that word what you realy mean. "When you say that pic is realy psy" or "that story was realy psy".

218436[/snapback]

i say..."that would sound really wicked if i were on acid". or "that would look really trippy if i were on acid " or "that story would have totally freaked me out if i were on acid"

works for me.

i say..."that would sound really wicked if i were on acid".  or "that would look really trippy if i were on acid " or "that story would have totally freaked me out if i were on acid"

works for me.

218467[/snapback]

Very interesting. I think I got an opposite definition : "that sounds wicked AS IF I was on acid" "that looks really trippy AS IF I was on acid".

Indeed, IMO perceiving things in a psychedelic way is "normal" when you're on psychedelic drugs, but achieving the same state without it, that's the role of psychedelic music.

On top of that, some will say combining the two is pure bliss...

J.

Psy for me:Anything intense,extreme,colourful,insane and wicked.

BTW psychedelic comes from the Greek word psychedelia which originally means Confession Of Soul, although nowdays we use it as a synonyme of Madness etc. ;)

I thought PSY is simply the abbreviation for the word: psychedelic. Never thought to use it for anything else.

Wait a minute, have I been missing something this whole time? No one says or describes something for being i]psy[/i], like meaning "cool" where I'm from. They just say psychedelic or trippy if its referring to a trippy looking picture or some of the music I listen to.

Guest al3xandar

Psy could be a short for Psychedelic, which I occasionally use when I see something that really makes me FEEL. Say, there was a funny guy some day ago in the park and he was kinda drunk, a little bit old, dirty and was saying some funny songs...that is psy, psy could be something you experience in your other level of consciosness...astral plane is so psy I can tell..

If someone reffers to Psy as a kind of music, he probably means on Goa which is not just a kind of music, but also part of India, and as one BIG man (with huge droidlocks :)) once said...GOA IS A STATE OF MIND.

This is what Google says for Psychedelic: HERE

Aleksandar, Macedonia

When I say or hear the word psy I only think of the music, as in PSYtrance.

Psychedelic is for me the madness, crazyness, totally flipped out, freaky- sound/music/picture whatever. I've never heard anyone say "This picture is so psy!" :)

just the psychedelic concept that is present in music, clothing, art gallery, drugs and on & on... :... just releated to lsd & mushroom as roots... things that sound good on acid, look nice on acid are psychedelic...

Psy or psychedelic is something that expresses in some way experiences made under the influence of psychedelic "drugs".

Alex Grey's art is a clear example. His paintings are visualizations of his psychedelic experiences with substances like LSD.

Psychedelic music is expressing these kind of experiences in the form of sound.

I know many people think different, but imo without the experience you can't create a visual/audible representation of "psychedelic".

And like it or not, the word psychedelic is connected to "drugs".

You don't have to be on "drugs" to enjoy psychedelic art or music and you can get a fairly good idea about what psychedelic is, if the artist translated his experiences in a skilled way, but you won't really know what psychedelic is, without having the experience of psychedelic "drugs" and you won't be able to produce psychedelic art/music without the experience either. (As always, there are exceptions, but very few) My opinion :)

You don't have to be on "drugs" to enjoy psychedelic art or music and you can get a fairly good idea about what psychedelic is, if the artist translated his experiences in a skilled way, but you won't really know what psychedelic is, without having the experience of psychedelic "drugs" and you won't be able to produce psychedelic art/music without the experience either. (As always, there are exceptions, but very few) My opinion :)

218631[/snapback]

i know whats the real psykadelia and i never touched on drugs , and im also an old skool Goa producer , so its just your opinion ;) .

Clothes , decoration , psyart (fractals , kaledeiscopes ,etc) , Goa-Trance and its feelings are the psychedelic to me. Psychedelic to me is the magic that i feel when listening to a good piece of psy music , steering at those Shiva pics and closing my eyes and travelling on the vast world of magic and mystery.. :)

The term "psychedelic" was coined by LSD researcher Humphrey Osmond in a letter to author Aldous Huxley in the mid-1950s. They were searching for a word to describe the effects of mind-altering chemicals such as LSD and mescaline. Other suggestions included "phanerothyme" and "entheogens". It is important to bear these origins in mind when considering the concept of psychedelic music.

Not only my opinion ;)

Reference

Edit: It's worth clicking on the link. It also has a nice quote about psychedelic art, which is not possible to copy-paste (and I am too lazy to type it all)

psy·che·del·ic Audio pronunciation of "psychedelic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk-dlk)

adj.

Of, characterized by, or generating hallucinations, distortions of perception, altered states of awareness, and occasionally states resembling psychosis.

Hmm, can't say any piece of music or anything for that matter would fit into that description for me. :)

Psy or psychedelic is something that expresses in some way experiences made under the influence of psychedelic "drugs".

Alex Grey's art is a clear example. His paintings are visualizations of his psychedelic experiences with substances like LSD.

Psychedelic music is expressing these kind of experiences in the form of sound.

I know many people think different, but imo without the experience you can't create a visual/audible representation of "psychedelic".

And like it or not, the word psychedelic is connected to "drugs".

218631[/snapback]

lol eleria! :lol: are like "the oracle", when it comes to this kind of stuff.

as for achieving the same state psychedelic state without drugs....im not so sure about that. if we could do that....well....none of us would use drugs would we?

"oracle" LOL

But the psy and drug issues are very important to me, because I think there is a lot of misunderstanding, misinformation and misconception about these subjects.

I also think, that it is (almost) impossible to achieve the same psychedelic states without drugs, that you experience under the influence of certain substances.

(I say almost, mainly so people who think they can don't get offended. They are free to believe what they want.) As I said before, you can get a fairly good idea, but it's not the same as the actual experience. Of course you can reach different states af consciousness through fasting, sleep deprivation, in floating tanks, through intense meditation and so on, but still it's not what the term psychedelic describes in the way it was coined in the mid 50th.

....gotta go to my Yoga class now. Altering mind too ;) Catch ya later.....

Not only my opinion ;)

Reference

218640[/snapback]

link is safe :) ...

The fact if you actually expierienced lsd does mather of the perspective you take looking at psychedelic art, listening to psychedelic music... Someone who hasn't got that expierience will look and feel in a different way but that's doesn't mean better or worse...

There's is still a generality... A group of people who expierienced lsd will directly have te same connected thought about psychedelic stuff cause they've been there... some who's not is more inidivudual but still perfect in it's on way...

some who's not is more inidivudual but still perfect in it's on way...

219374[/snapback]

i disagree. their own personal perspective would not be a true psychedelic one. perfect in its own way. but not truely psychedelic. you can only know what psychedelia is once you have experienced it. and sorry folks, unfortunately, you DO have to take drugs to do this. sorry :unsure:

i disagree. their own personal perspective would not be a true psychedelic one. perfect in its own way. but not truely psychedelic. you can only know what psychedelia is once you have experienced it. and sorry folks, unfortunately, you DO have to take drugs to do this. sorry  :unsure:

219383[/snapback]

I know that's my opinion too but the individual expierence of psychedelic would be different then what we drugusers expierence as psychedelic... so for us (drugusers) their individual expierience isn't psychedelic but for them individuals it' psychedelic...

damn better read this twice :D

I know that's my opinion too but the individual expierence of psychedelic would be different then what we drugusers expierence as psychedelic... so for us (drugusers)  their individual expierience isn't psychedelic but for them individuals it' psychedelic...

damn better read this twice  :D

219393[/snapback]

i agree, but we are talking about a true "psychdelic experience". if the user has convinced themselves that they have tapped into this perception without the use of psychdedelics, whatever he/she is experiencing is NOT a "psychedelic experience". even though they may think and beleive that it is. and we are talking about an actual true psychedelic experience. not what someones own unfounded idea of it is. it would be like believing a lie. you cannot obtain a fullblown psychedelic experience without the use of some kind of psychedelic drug. through years of training and meditation and sensory deprivation and fasting etc. you can actaully start to "live" in a semi-psychedelic state. but even then, it wouldnt compare to taking a single dose of LSD for example.

...and that is why drugs cost money :)

When I say or hear the word psy I only think of the music, as in PSYtrance.

Psychedelic is for me the madness, crazyness, totally flipped out, freaky- sound/music/picture whatever. I've never heard anyone say "This picture is so psy!" :)

218583[/snapback]

For me psy is the shortening of psychedelic always... its just too long to say psychedelic trance so out of laziness it has been shortened to psytrance. Yet as a description of a picture etc we tend to use the longer version imo and experience.

psy·che·del·ic  Audio pronunciation of "psychedelic" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (sk-dlk)

adj.

Of, characterized by, or generating hallucinations, distortions of perception, altered states of awareness, and occasionally states resembling psychosis.

Hmm, can't say any piece of music or anything for that matter would fit into that description for me. :)

218693[/snapback]

Maybe we use the word psychedelic to describe music that i most complimentary to hallucinatory states of being. Just a thought. ;)

I also agree with OD and Rain... how can one know that one is having a psychedelic experience sans drugs when one has never taken the drug that coined the term in the first place ? :unsure:

I also agree with OD and Rain... how can one know that one is having a psychedelic experience sans drugs when one has never taken the drug that coined the term in the first place ?  :unsure:

219574[/snapback]

which is why i cant understand why some people get very upset with me when i say that drugs play a very important role in the psychedelic trance culture. they are all "its not about the drugs". true. its not about the drugs. its about the psychedelic experience.....but to access the experience.....you need psychedelic drugs. *duh* flame me to death. whatever. that is the truth. some people just dont accept that. its true that once you have accessed that experience, you may not need to access it again. because you "know". but if you have never experienced true psychedelia (and yes, unfortunately that means, if you have never taken psychedelic drugs)...then in my honest opinion, you may think you understand what its all about. but you dont.

but if you have never experienced true psychedelia (and yes, unfortunately that means, if you have never taken psychedelic drugs)...then in my honest opinion, you may think you understand what its all about. but you dont.

219575[/snapback]

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y