AMD 64

Guest djnemo

Ok, so I had a lot of trouble lately with my 2.8GHZ P4 1GB RAM... I was at a friends house, and we were talking about computers (DUH, why does that always happen, especially when the ladies were not so impressed hehe). He told me that he had a Motherboard for a AMD 64 that he didnt use and I could have that and a gfx card very cheap (indeed very cheap!!).

Next day I went and got myself a AMD 3400+ 2.4 GHZ Processor and 1 GB of ram to go with it. I assembled the computer and then installed everything..

WOW!! It took about 10 seconds to boot into a fully installed Music Partition. Then I loaded one of my tracks that I had made that I had loads of trouble with. 10% CPU USAGE!!!!!!!! No problems whatsoever playing the track. Midi was perfect!!! It has about 10 VSTi's with efx on top as well.

This track takes up 80% CPU on my P4.

Well, for me this is the end of INTEL. I will never ever get another INTEL Processor, not unless they frikkin do better processors! !@#$*(&!

Anyone else here that had the same? Dont you think this is insane? I mean, WHY spend 150 euros more on a CPU when the cheaper one is faster and so much more reliable?!

Anyways, im a happy man again, I can make music without having to freeze my VSTi's...

TIP: GET AMD 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMD rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been studying a LOT about new processors and its performance in sound aplications and there is no match for the new AMD 64 bit.

I'm very looking forward to get the last € and buy my new AMD laptop :D

by the way, Cubase SX3 and maybe Nuendo3 take already advantage of the 64 bit architecture, so when there is a true 64bit operating system this software and hardware will blast in every way our current perceptions of PC music production!

Serguei

Swan X-1

Ok, so I had a lot of trouble lately with my 2.8GHZ P4 1GB RAM... I was at a friends house, and we were talking about computers (DUH, why does that always happen, especially when the ladies were not so impressed hehe). He told me that he had a Motherboard for a AMD 64 that he didnt use and I could have that and a gfx card very cheap (indeed very cheap!!).

Next day I went and got myself a AMD 3400+ 2.4 GHZ Processor and 1 GB of ram to go with it. I assembled the computer and then installed everything..

WOW!! It took about 10 seconds to boot into a fully installed Music Partition. Then I loaded one of my tracks that I had made that I had loads of trouble with. 10% CPU USAGE!!!!!!!! No problems whatsoever playing the track. Midi was perfect!!! It has about 10 VSTi's with efx on top as well.

This track takes up 80% CPU on my P4.

Well, for me this is the end of INTEL. I will never ever get another INTEL Processor, not unless they frikkin do better processors! !@#$*(&!

Anyone else here that had the same? Dont you think this is insane? I mean, WHY spend 150 euros more on a CPU when the cheaper one is faster and so much more reliable?!

Anyways, im a happy man again, I can make music without having to freeze my VSTi's...

TIP: GET AMD 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!

218210[/snapback]

WOW , ive gotta get one AMD!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm waiting for powermac g5 2x2.5ghz. amd has no sense for me, i can't run logic on it (5.5.1 32bit version??)

anyway, if there are optimized plugins like z3ta, i would go for amd and use it just as vst rack.

what about g5 vs amd64 ?

what i see is that my 1,5ghz g4 powerbook is very similiar power to my p4-3ghz.

Hmmmm.....

Long standing debate.

Different processors are good for different things. I have a P4 3.06Ghz with a gig of ram and it blazes like the bomb. It depends a lot on what brand of hardware you buy, such as an expensive asus or a cheap alternative. Also depends a lot on your memory and your soundcard. Intel have far greatre scalability nowdays with all the new features on their boards and are currently building multi-processor chips. In a short while AMD will also have PCI express and DDR2 memory. These new multicore chips by Intel however have 64bit extensions, much like the AMD 64s. There's good reason to wait for Intel's new crop but if you can't - I'd advise getting an AMD64. They're damn hot alright - certainly wouldn't mind owning one myself. But I have no reason to complain. As for Macs - They're good for certain things too. Very good for multimedia such as graphics and sound... pretty crap for games and other things. As well as the fact that they're run in a monopoly and cost twice as much. It depends on your purpose really.

;)