Completism

Zebedee Gherkin

Once in a while, along comes an artist or group who's that good IMO that I try to get hold of everything they've done even if I've never heard the stuff. For me these include Juno Reactor, Simon Posford, Underworld, Orbital, Fluke, Joe Satriani, Transglobal Undergound, Afrocelts, Leo Kottke, Groove Armada, Astralasia, Banco da Gaia, Martin Taylor (jazz guitar phenom) and err..that's about it.

And you? Psy and other

That's a horrible syndrome - you can never get everything from everybody, and what you don't get will annoy you. I try to resist it as far as possible, but in the case of Shpongle I can't.

Infected Mushroom

Marilyn Manson

Juno Reactor

Deftones

Zeromancer

Psysex

Fungus Funk

The Prodigy

Subgud

Biosphere

OTT

Simon Postford

+ + + + + (i'm gonna stop now)

oh god.. I collect to much. Cinos got a point in my case, hehe :blink:

yeah i totally hear you on that. I'm def the same way with Posford and Fluke also. Although with Fluke, I haven't really enjoyed anything outside of Oto and Risotto. There is also just the thrill of trying to complete a collection, which can be anything (stamps/coins/cards/CDs, etc). It always feels good to finally track down that rare item that has eluded you for so long. Problem is that in the case of music, for the most part, the ultrarare stuff isn't usually the best (which is why it's so freaking rare, heh). So for me at least, the actual tracking it down is more rewarding than the reward of the CD itself. Ofttimes I'll find a CD that I am completely in love/infatuated with... all tracks sound amazing, and i'll play the hell out of it. Meanwhile I'll be looking for more of that sound by the same artist, but it just so happened that I found the best CD by them to begin with so it's a gradual let-down as the search goes on.

-ensign

i know, i think all of us have a compulsive music collecting disorder up to some point. i bought converting vegetarians and IM the supervisor, even though i had heard it before and thought it was crap. but i still bought it coz i wanted all the infected albums. same goes for sphongle and anything simon posford related. i usually also buy most things dragonfly records release as i really like their compilations...

Psytones - Deftones are indeed awesome. One of my very favourite groups. Around The Fur and White Pony, two of my all-time faves... Adrenaline was pretty good but not as good as those 2. I saw them live, and they were just fantastic! If you haven't seen them, do it.... It's worth it.

Psytones - Deftones are indeed awesome.  One of my very favourite groups.  Around The Fur and White Pony, two of my all-time faves... Adrenaline was pretty good but not as good as those 2.  I saw them live, and they were just fantastic!  If you haven't seen them, do it....  It's worth it.

217217[/snapback]

I know I know.. agree 100% on your statements. Live... Well, i still havent seen them or KoRn live yeath :(

Havent seen Korn live... But they're kinda past their prime now... All old and fat bastards... would have been good to see them after Life Is Peachy or Follow The Leader tours. Now they're just a band going thru the motions... Their old stuff still lives on in my head though.

Yeah, I am absolutely obsessed about completing my favourite artists. I have complete discographies of :

ASTRAL PROJECTION

MESSAGE FROM GOD

PLEIADIANS/ETNICA

SIMON POSFORD

COSMOSIS

CALIFORNIA SUNSHINE

MAN WITH NO NAME

INFECTED MUSHROOM

JUNO REACTOR

KOX BOX

SHPONGLE

FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON

THE ORB

APHEX TWIN

DEAD CAN DANCE

DELERIUM

SYNAESTHESIA

and some more...

I had this obsession with Prodigy, Chemical Brothers and Underworld. Recently their output was very weak. So i decided not to buy their recent records. Now i'm in pursue to fill the discography of Simon Posford. Got most of his records in original media and some in Mp3's, but as soon as i'll be financially ready i'll finish the collection. I still need the Dub Trees, Celtic Cross and to find TIP's Feeling Weird album. BTW, do you buy the compilation with your favorite artists or only albums? With artists like IM or Simon Posford it's quite hard to fill the discography isn't it?

HUH, How could I forget Chi-A.D.? I have all of him, albums and loads of singles except maybe two singles I am missing. He is one of my favourite artists from the scene...:)

Yeah, I am absolutely obsessed about completing my favourite artists. I have complete discographies of :

PLEIADIANS/ETNICA

Now pardon me for doubting, as you may indeed be telling the truth here, but do you have the Intense Visitation vinyl? The Asian Code 12"? The etched Alcyone 12"? Their first release on Brainstorm records? To my knowledge, noone on the planet has all of them.

SIMON POSFORD

The North Central Positronics 12"? And all his bazillions of other appearances? Honestly now...

KOX BOX

The promo only HH10 001 single? The releases on Where's The Party and Outloud? Their debut appearance from 1992 on "Cyberworld"?

And the Future sound of london and Aphex Twin... dude, you don't have complete discographies by these artists =) Sorry for the harsh coming down on you here, but "complete discographies" should mean that you have all their releases and not "all albums on cd, at least the good ones" or whatever.

I collect Old Etnica myself, still missing some. I have all Transwave releases (both CD and vinyl) but not all compilation appearances. I have about 230-ish Björk records, but I'm not actively collecting her stuff right now. I have all releases, both cd and vinyl, on Celtic Records. I have all 12" singles on Symbiosis, including the unreleased #16. I am approaching a complete 12" series on TIP and apart from one or two, have everything Dragonfly released on vinyl throughout the nineties, including the never released Infinity Project 12".

I hope to have all major labels complete one day, but I'm unfortunately not made of money =/

Hey Ukiro, I know you are obsessive Goa Trance collector and am sure you have lot of stuff and probably completed hundreds of discographies but you don't have to be THE MASTER of collecting. I am missing Asian Code but I do have Intense Visitation song. Of course I don't have every single TRACK they released, and maybe missing few tracks here and there but to me completism doesn't mean HAVING ALL but having essential albums and important singles by group. None of us can have practically all stuff, unless you are a dj and knows hundred of people that can connect you and bring you loads of stuff. As I was collecting all by myself with a little help of my friends, I can't say I have complete discographies but rather 80-90 % which I do find almost complete. FSOL I even have all albums, all except one singles on discs, two Amorphous Androgynous albums, okay for example I don't have their very early worx, before Amorphous... and Aphex Twin all of the albums plus loads of singles....Thanks for enlightening me...

Sure it is good to know there're some ccompletists out there and what music are you completing about.

And Ukiro, I see you are quite thorough in your music.

The thing is that time ago, I've made friends of a recordstore owner here that used to have his bussiness+mail order at London over the 70s and eighties.

He used to tell us stories about record collectors who searched countries(and decades) for rare LPs and get really to know their stuff.

Of them, the three or four at the top used to have invested quite a lot in their collections and where sort of widely known in the field over several countries. Obviously getting some special items raised them in status. He also told us those incredible stories about how they've found a particular item, which -of course-is part of the fun(or pain) of collecting.

We can all identify several types of collectors/sellers and their ways. Easy to spot them at fairs or if you check at GEMM.com where thousands of small shops distribute their music and most certainly comprise many collectors. Talk about memorabilia people!

I guess those have similar completist behaviour but taken to extremes, it may take your life!...

Personally I have done it several times with some of the music/goups of my liking(see the signature), and at some cases I am very happy with the results, specially when they allow me to be able to mix(or to gather a compilation)in a much more fluid way, by placing alike sounds together or by letting me rework unpredictable structures and such...

For me there are never enough remixes of a good track!

A turning point was when I meet a musician who was part of an important label and then he showed me all that music that wasn't released, -not because it was not good- but because "the label cannot release all". That much music could never fit over the limited commercialization timetable, based in what us consumers are able to handle...

Since then, the coding attached to each release(whatever hard to find or not) looked much less important to me... And now I tend to look for the stuff I am going to be able to utilise...not always ;) .

You want to know hos I avoid that disease BTW? I only collect the good stuff. I mean, does anybody (except ukiro ;) ) want some 1997-release by Mr Joe Bob where his has synths farting and he keeps banging his bathroom sink?

I don't. So basically, when I have all good stuff from an artist, I consider that part of my collection complete. (thus, I will IMO have a complete Posford collection after I get Dub Trees & Younger Brother).

And I can't be bothered to buy vinyl either. It's too... what do you say? Too... I just don't. :)

(and as the previous poster said, if you obsessive-compulsive collectors realize how much unreleased stuff labels have... you'll get some obsessive heart-attacks.)

I agree. I am also in pursuit of all the ancient Posford/TIP releases. But I only go after the good compilations if i find the sound samples intriguing. So far, my collection (of purchased cds) includes:

-TIP: Mystical experiences

-Mystery of the Yeti 1

-Mystery of the Yeti 2

-The mystery of the 13 crystal skulls

-The secret of the 13 crystal skulls

-Dub Trees : Nature never did betray the heart that loved her

-Younger Brother : a flock of bleeps

-Celtic cross : Hicksville

-Shpongle: Are you shpongled

-Shpongle: Tales of the inexpressible

-Hallucinogen: Twisted

-Hallucinogen: The lone deranger

-Eclipse

-Dementertainment

-Prometheus Robot-o-chan

-Pigs in space: The artifical pigs agency

-Saafi Brothers: Mystic cigarettes

-Spacecat: invasion (the first track has a touch of posford)

It was a costly and rather tiresome affair but well worth it ;) Now, all that remains to buy is Shpongle: Nothing lasts, Unusual Suspects 2, TIP: Feeling weird and V/A: Beyond Colour. Alas, the latter is out of stock and has become as hard to come by as the holy grail :(

But then... you can not have them all. There are just too many releases. Buying lp's and 12" is over the top, but i think its a good idea to get all the Posford/TIP oldies but goodies. They're well worth EVERY cent, i assure you :)

Hey Ukiro, I know you are obsessive Goa Trance collector and am sure you have lot of stuff and probably completed hundreds of discographies but you don't have to be THE MASTER of collecting. I am missing Asian Code but I do have Intense Visitation song. Of course I don't have every single TRACK they released, and maybe missing few tracks here and there but to me completism doesn't mean HAVING ALL but having essential albums and important singles by group. None of us can have practically all stuff, unless you are a dj and knows hundred of people that can connect you and bring you loads of stuff. As I was collecting all by myself with a little help of my friends, I can't say I have complete discographies but rather 80-90 % which I do find almost complete. FSOL I even have all albums, all except one singles on discs, two Amorphous Androgynous albums, okay for example I don't have their very early worx, before Amorphous... and Aphex Twin all of the albums plus loads of singles....Thanks for enlightening me...

217329[/snapback]

Well a complete discography isn't a complete discography if you don't have everything, now is it? And if having MP3's (I'm referring to Intense Visitation) counts as "having the complete discography", well then I think this entire discussion is pointless. Anyone could download them you know... And in my opinion, a complete discography should include all released material by a band or artist.

I know you know a lot obout this type of music and I assume you have a pretty neat record collection. It's just that I strongly disagree with your definition of complete discography and I was under the impression that we were discussing records here, not MP3's.

(and as the previous poster said, if you obsessive-compulsive collectors realize how much unreleased stuff labels have... you'll get some obsessive heart-attacks.)

217398[/snapback]

Well if you're a true collector at heart, you'd know - there is so much more to collecting than just having the items. Some people dedicate their lives to collecting stamps, which is arguably far more "worthless" than records - at least I get a whole lot of excellent music in the experience =)

And I don't drink alcohol, I don't travel around much... I chose to spend my money on records because I find that it gives me more satisfaction per euro spent. I wholeheartedly enjoy sorting and organizing things, so achieving complete collections of a record label or artist is very satisfying on more levels than just having the music.

While I fully understand that there is a charm in hunting great unreleased music as well, I must point out that there is so incredibly much great music released that there's not much lost if you focus only on vinyls and "proper" CD's. I have a decent amount of unreleased stuff too, rest assured, but my collection is for real records. Finding good unreleased stuff is for my love of the music. There's an important difference.

That's where we differ - while I can agree having a complete collection would be neat, I won't waste my money on bad releases. The collection isn't worth that for me.

I agree. I am also in pursuit of all the ancient Posford/TIP releases. But I only go after the good compilations if i find the sound samples intriguing. So far, my collection (of purchased cds) includes:

-Pigs in space: The artifical pigs agency

217403[/snapback]

wtf man? :huh: That's not posford stuff! :D

though a good cd :) (made by ofer dii btw :) )

here's the discography: http://www.discogs.com/release/77403

I have ZERO real records in my collection...so no, not a completist... or well, there are of course some artists that I like so much I have to hear everything they've made. :) And pllllz don't complain I really don't have any money to purchase real CDs... I'm just a poor student :(