POPSTREAM

halee

Well, since he only made one album, my favourite must also be "Into Orbit" ;)

A new album is on the way from Spun though.

215814[/snapback]

well he should hurry up and make heaps more ...... thought he had though..

:D:D:D great! The "Into Orbit" album is a little under a year old and it still sounds Brand New! Great production! And amazing useful to a morning dancefloor.

I wish I could get to this dude's sound. He's a genius producer!

Somehow seems to have a little less bass in the overall mastering when you compare it to other artist's like gms etc.. maybe a secret to the sound?

It's still a cutting edge release and massive leap forward in the science of producing psy!

I keep hearing the hype but what makes this sound any different from all the other full-on clones?

216603[/snapback]

i am also sceptic, but after listening to the latest timecode cd, my faith has been restored a little. its full-on, or a type of full on, but its actually very very good and brilliantly put together. there are new creative styles of full on coming out, not your average chemical crew cd, or gms clone, but actually really fresh creative stuff. id love to give this cd a whirl.

I keep hearing the hype but what makes this sound any different from all the other full-on clones?

216603[/snapback]

production!

Give it a whirl on a big system, crank it up loud, and you'll see. Or rather hear the magic!

yeah there's a lot of cloning out there! It would be sad for this great record to be lost in the same catergory.

but we do need new things to happen in the full-on arena. And I don't think just adding vocals of some girl singing are pushing us all forward! The newer Full-on seems to be aiming more at radio play and commercial success than blowing peoples minds.

but we work to change that!

boom!

mylo

Just production? I guess I'm looking for strength of composition, interesting approaches, creative arrangements. Production is like the finishing touch on a good piece of work, not the defining characteristic of goodness for me...

Try out Cydonia's Funky Monkey on a big system sometime if you really value that production thing :)

Just production? I guess I'm looking for strength of composition, interesting approaches, creative arrangements. Production is like the finishing touch on a good piece of work, not the defining characteristic of goodness for me...

Try out Cydonia's Funky Monkey on a big system sometime if you really value that production thing :)

216640[/snapback]

ALL IMHO. :P

This is electronic music. We are not talking about old mono Hendrix recordings here. We are talking about the Dolby Wonderland of today! Sure, you gotta have the leads and the hooks and the grooves and true artistry that goes along with it. But psy-trance is 50% presentation. Not just sound, but the manipulation of it. The science of controlling the way a speaker cone moves, opening up spaces in the low end to get the sub to really pump etc. The production is what seperates the good from the great. The best of the scene right now are musical genius's and studio wizards.

We all have our different tastes in this wonderfully diverse genre. If it wasn't for new and fresh approaches and advancements in production it would all sound like sh#t!

So I guess I'll meet you half way on that one!

off to check out that Cydonia track!

peaceout

If i'll hear the word Production once again i promise i'll stab some innocent bystander.

Seriously now. He is another full-on clone. Anyone who disagrees with me advised to stay off ecstasy for the next few weeks and realise it by themselves.

216706[/snapback]

lol

indeed, indeed.

don't know what the hype is all about. as full-on goes, pop stream isn't bad. but it isn't all that...

maybe the next album will prove me wrong?

hope so

If i'll hear the word Production once again i promise i'll stab some innocent bystander.

Seriously now. He is another full-on clone. Anyone who disagrees with me advised to stay off ecstasy for the next few weeks and realise it by themselves.

216706[/snapback]

I actually agree with you ;)

Nope, there's nothing groundbreaking in his music, and yes, he's a full on clone - but a very good one I might add! :)

216979[/snapback]

aren't they all? ;)

I dont get the fuzz about these so-called "groundbreaking" new artists. All I see is an endless copying and stealing from the Full ON / Neo Full On artist that came before them. And those that came before stole, copy & pasted from those that came before them! I fail to see very little (if any) personality and uniqueness in any of those "Rolling Bass" version 10.000 tracks.

Artists have always borrowed from eachother. No doubt about that but come on now. 99% of these "amazing and grounbreaking" Full On / Neo Full On artist dont even bother to cover it up. Popstream, Eskimo, Bite my fat ass and whatever they call themselves are one big pool of "oh I got myself a PC now - yeahhhha I am going to be a star soon". The labels are runed by people that wouldn't even make it to an interview for a job on a real label and all they do is drag the psy scene further and further down into the mud.

But I can't say I blame the artists. They just cash in on a scene that has lost all it used to stand for. Everybody want to be a Star these days. Just take a look at all the reality Shows on TV. People want to be famous and get their 15 mins of fame. Why should people be any different in this scene ;)

It's a virus spreading as fast as the next track is released !!!!

The blame should be pointed to the labels (if you can call them labels at all) that sit in a Bedroom thinking they can hit it big with the next clone. Quantity is the keyword to those amaturish labels!

Then there's the people listening to those artists. Come on now. Could the scene become more Groupie oriented these days? Where's the point which build this scene gone? That artists aren't "stars" and better than the person on the Dancefloor? I see small girls with writing on their Stomachs saying "Eskimo was here" and people worshipping the "stars" to a point where it's gone hysteric. It's all about being seen and looking "right" these days. And I indeed blame the Full On "movement" for this development. Now you say I rant and yes I rant... But like it or not.. Todays "trance" scene has got nothing to do with trance. Heck you cant even get into a stat of trance with this kind of music. So let's rename it to Full On pop and celebrate the POP Kings!

I definitely agree with you on a lot of your points EP, but don't see what this has to do with Pop Stream in particular. Interesting discussion though, perhaps it needs a topic of its own?

And I still think Pop Stream is one of the better full on clones out there. Certainly not groundbreaking, just very enjoyable full on in my opinion :)

I definitely agree with you on a lot of your points EP, but don't see what this has to do with Pop Stream in particular. Interesting discussion though, perhaps it needs a topic of its own?

And I still think Pop Stream is one of the better full on clones out there. Certainly not groundbreaking, just very enjoyable full on in my opinion :)

216996[/snapback]

Well I think it has all to do with Pop Stream. It's not long ago I saw him being announced as the new wonder "artist" that should bring Full On forward. He's just as big a part as any of the other Full On mass-produced clones and indeed belong in a debate like this. ;) Why move it? Let's start the debate and flaming LOL

Well I think it has all to do with Pop Stream.  It's not long ago I saw him being announced as the new wonder "artist" that should bring Full On forward. He's just as big a part as any of the other Full On mass-produced clones and indeed belong in a debate like this. ;)  Why move it?  Let's start the debate and flaming LOL

216997[/snapback]

I'm all for it. Let's debate and flame those clones. BUT. Let's bash not only the full-on clones. Everybody can bash them. Let's bash also the progressive and the tech-trance clones. Can someone explain me why Son Kite's and FreQ's albums were so unproportionally praised? Son Kite didn't anything new in their last album. Just ripping from here and there, trying to gain as big fanbase as possible and most importantly running away from their unique sound, that they worked so hard to develop. Freq's album, with all due respect id nothing more than same sounds and patterns all the way through. I totally dig 1 tune in this style, perhaps 2. But the whole album sounds like a loop. Aside the amazing collaboration with Fractal Glider that should be done more frequently. Why nobody awakes the ppl that fell asleep with Antix's Lull album that was praised all over? Why only full-on is the one to be blamed and to be bashed? Because it is so successful nowadays! That's why.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not defending Full-on!!! But. Let's be honest, and agree that the cloning is everywhere.

I'm all for it. Let's debate and flame those clones. BUT. Let's bash not only the full-on clones. Everybody can bash them. Let's bash also the progressive and the tech-trance clones. Can someone explain me why Son Kite's and FreQ's albums were so unproportionally praised? Son Kite didn't anything new in their last album. Just ripping from here and  there, trying to gain as big fanbase as possible and most importantly running away from their unique sound, that they worked so hard to develop. Freq's album, with all due respect id nothing more than same sounds and patterns all the way through. I totally dig 1 tune in this style, perhaps 2. But the whole album sounds like a loop. Aside the amazing collaboration with Fractal Glider that should be done more frequently. Why nobody awakes the ppl that fell asleep with Antix's Lull album that was praised all over? Why only full-on is the one to be blamed and to be bashed? Because it is so successful nowadays! That's why.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not defending Full-on!!! But. Let's be honest, and agree that the cloning is everywhere.

217059[/snapback]

I totally agree with your points. I also find a lot of Progressive trance to be clones and quite frankly boring. And your right about the examples you mention even though I dont agree about the Son Kite view. I find Antix and Freq to be too polished and lacking of personality. To me it's just very good sound production with little room for experimentation, and the fact is that more and more artists into progressive trance try to copy their sound these days. That's not innovative. But you cant say that Freq and Antix sound like anyone else. They do have their own sound even if you or I find it a little boring ;)

Son Kite is not my no.1 favorite music but I find it quite interesting in the sense that they try out new things and are not afraid to use cliche's like 80's Disco sequenced basslines ect. It might not be new in the sense of it's not all done before BUT they do not sound like anyone else and that's what also count for me. They sound like Son Kite and that's more than I can say about many other artists in progressive and Full On ! That's the big differnce between them and many others. And they are not afraid of releasing a live DVD and interesting concept CD's. many other could learn from the way they promote themselves.

So yes there's indeed room for bashing in progressive, tech ect. I just find that there's way more "artists" concentrated in the Full On scene copying eachother down to the single note.