"Classical" Goa sound often used

Hi everyone...

I am pretty new in doing Goa/Psytrance but I really would like to get further on also in this Style (actually I a m doing some sort of EBM or Future pop)...Bassline and Kick seems pretty clear how to do...FX also, but i absolutely don't get how this "classical" Goa Sound (sounds like distorted filtersweep) is done....

i tried Stepfilter on Stab sounds but this wasn't what I looked for.....can anyone help?

I use as hardware Synths:

Novation Supernova

Novation Bassstation

Korg 01/w

Korg N5

Yamaha An1X

Roland JV 1010

MAM MB33 Mk2

Juno Alpha 2

and as Plugins:

RefX Vanguard

Z3ta+

V-Station

Moog Modular

Absynth 2.0 and 3.0

Athmosphere

Stylus

Groove Agent

as Sequencer I use Cubase SX 2.2

with Waves Plugins

Hi everyone...

I am pretty new in doing Goa/Psytrance but I really would like to get further on also in this Style (actually I a m doing some sort of EBM or Future pop)...Bassline and Kick seems pretty clear how to do...FX also, but i absolutely don't get how this "classical" Goa Sound (sounds like distorted filtersweep) is done....

i tried Stepfilter on Stab sounds but this wasn't what I looked for.....can anyone help?

I use as hardware Synths:

Novation Supernova

Novation Bassstation

Korg 01/w

Korg N5

Yamaha An1X

Roland JV 1010

MAM MB33 Mk2

Juno Alpha 2

and as Plugins:

RefX Vanguard

Z3ta+

V-Station

Moog Modular

Absynth 2.0 and 3.0

Athmosphere

Stylus

Groove Agent

as Sequencer I use Cubase SX 2.2

with Waves Plugins

215276[/snapback]

hi,

i suggest to use some effect plugins. Ultrafunk has nice wahwah filter, or native bundle from tc-works has good filtrator plugin. Put there some flanger, phaser etc.

Im not really sure wich sound youre after but with a distorted filtersweep (as with any distorted sound) most of the sound's character depend's on the type of distortion used.

Try experimenting with a simple saw wave through different types of distortion. Try guitar distortion pedals or multifx or download some distortion plugins. When you find a good distortion you can start messing around with your synths through it until you get a nice sound.

Does it sound like any of ->these<- sounds?

The first is a distorted saw wave, the sweep is a osc sync not a filtersweep.

The second is 3 operators of FM synthesis and the sweep is made by changing the velocity of the second modulator wich is fed back into the operator.

The third is just two osc synced saw waves, sweeping the pitch of the synced saw.

Sorry that the sounds aren't that good, i made them in a hurry. :unsure:

Maby i should give a bit more detailed description on how those sounds where made.

For >this< sound i used a Nordlead. Both saws are identical but the output of the source sound is turned all the way down to 0. In the beginning of the file im not touching the pitch at all. When i start playing arround with the pitch knob i get that osc sync sound we all love. :)

>This< sound uses osc sync too, but this time i use distortion. It's a synced sine wave. At first you hear it without distortion. When distortion is added it becomes a whole different sound. If your aming for this type of sound i would advise you to have the distortion turned on while making the sound.

>This< sound is a whole other kind of syntesis. I used a Yamaha TG77 (wich is a FM synth). I use a pretty simple algorithm for this sound. It uses 3 operators: one carrier and two modulators. The modulators are stacked on top of eachother like this: Carrier-Modulator1-Modulator2. Modulator2 is fed back into the carrier. The carrier is fixed at 1000Hz, both modulators use ratio 1.00. First i use only the carrier, as you can hear since it's fixed at 1000Hz it doesn't respond to the different pitches but when i turn on the modulators it gets more exighting. And by changing the level of the modulators the sound changes it's character.

Hope this helps. :)

thank you ver y very much..

this gave me a good Idea of how to produce this kind of sounds..

I also found a method using a stab pad (layered Saws) and then let the output go throug the filterbank of my MAM.....

but your method sounds much cooler ( the snippets I heared..)..

i try this with my Supernova oder the An1x and post you the snippet here if i succeeded :-)

thnx a lot