When/how did your goa expierience begin...

Guest Rain

144 members have voted

1. 1. When/how did your goa expierience begin...

• < or = 1993

aaah... now therein lies quite a story. lets take a trip back in time to the dark and evil winter of 2000....

i remember borrowing depeche mode's 'violator' from a friend of mine. before he let me go, however, he handed me a burnt cd with strange and ominous inscriptions on it: INFECTED MUSHROOM - THE GATHERING :blink: .

That was back in my heavy metal-days when metallica, clawfinger, rage against the machine and rammstein did it for me. i had dismissed electronic music as garbage (bad experiences with eurodance and cheesy trance) but decided to give it a go. i hit play and all of a sudden this creepy, monstrous melody ('release me', i later found out) loped into my cortex and made my mind a very scary place to be. a thumping beat i knew quite well from trance, but with this indescribable touch to it, like nothing i ever heard before. not trance, this was new. it was as if evil, infinity and playful wickedness assumed the form of sound. and WHAT a sound! Combined with familiar soundsamples from Independence Day and Men In Black, it all made one hell of a sonic experience.

Of course, not all first encounters are succesful and i dismissed this one rather quickly.

But barely 6 months went by when i was on a guy-trip to the forests of sweden in the summer of 2001. someone decided to put on Astral Projection - 'mahadeva' and for the first time in my life i listen to something new and proclaimed within 5 seconds: HEY! THIS STUFF KICKS ARSE! i later learned that this kind of music was called 'goa'. and the rest, as they say, is history. During the following months i developed a habit of inviting mates to my flat, turn off the lights, open a few bottles of substance, pump up the volume, activate a wicked winamp-plugin and play astral projection-tracks while realising i had truly discovered something unique here.

it was winter 2001 and i quickly decided to expand on my small collection of goa-music and went to a friend whom i considered the best when it came to knowledge of weird electronic stuff and guaranteed goodness. he recommended a little thing called hallucinogen - gamma goblins :ph34r: . before i knew it, i was listening to space pussy and gamma goblins pt. 2 - while having the greatest musical experience of my life (it got even better over the years). one thing lead to another and my collection of favorite goa tracks expanded into include hallucinogen, shpongle, tristan, x-dream, infected mushroom, astral projection and juno reactor. :D

and here i am, quite a few years later with a vast collection of cds including both psychedelic trance and ambient/dub by some of the finest of names in this wonderful underground industry of delight. :lol:

introducing myself to goa-trance was the opening of the doors of perception into another multiverse of divine music that could be anything from downright scary (delta, hujaboy), fascinating, intimidating, powerful (gms, prometheus), pure hilarious (1200 mics, hallucinogen & joti) and pure genious (hallucinogen, shpongle). i thank everyone involved and of course the brilliant musicians for bringing us this mad, wonderful genre of music. none mentioned and none forgotten.... ok, here are some of them: simon posford, raja ram, riktam/bansi, marcus maichel, nick barber, frank e./ian ion, erez/duvdev, avi nissim/lior perlmutter, benji vaughan, space cat, ofer dikovsky, astrix and many many many many many MANY more. :rolleyes:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my expedition started somewhere in 2001, bassement of a very very old warehouse next to a railroad. We had to climb in through some sort of small door/window.

the bassement was about 3 meters high, so if i would stick out my arms & jump i could grap old dusted pipelines. OOOh man i loved to play the monkeyboy down there.

about 150-250 people, few blacklights, very dark athmosphere & music, cold&rainy outside, completely drugged spaced out people.

the organisation, the soundsystem, the Dj's, everything at the party was crappy in some way, but still it has this....very energetic powerfull "vibe".

the location was superb, never to forget. Not even my wildest dream, or the most twisted movie can capture the atmosphere that was hanging in that claustrofibic bassment. Never met it again. 1st party just blew a whole in my sense for reality like a shotgun.

I stayed at the party till 18:00 and when i went home about 15 die-hard freaks were still dancing & sveral others were stranded in & around the location.

If i find a pic of the location i'll post it here.

1997. Me and this buddy of mine we're into the more comercial trance (Trancemaster etc). One day, at our usual cd shop we saw this cd with an amazing album cover(Pulse 4) and bought it. There was this amazing track Blue Planet Corporation - Intrigue on it wich i listened everyday. Never heard anything like it, i was so hooked up by that music that i even talked about it on an english homework i had then.

Guest Astro Cortex

Hi all!

yet another lurker posting his first post here :)

It all started for me in 1995 (at the age of 11) when I started buying some trance compilations from TV advertisement, such as the Trance Nation, Trancemaster, Cosmic Cubes and Hypnotrance series. That way I already discovered some psy/goa tracks (e.g. Etnica - Chemical Trance, Blue Planet Corporation - Overbloody Flood, Art of Trance - Octopus (original & MWNN Rmx), Three-State-Logic - Chromium Dioxide) but without knowing that they are actually in a diffrernt style than the other stuff on those CDs. Not until I came across the "Trancemaster GoaHead XL-Mix 2" CD (why the hell did they call it GoaHead?) I realised that the Astral Projection tracks Mahadeva and In-Novation were different and better than anything I've heard before. So, of course, I decided to search for more of this particular kind of trance.

In 1996 I picked up the Travelling 1 compil (on the same label as the Trancemaster series) as I already had tracks by MWNN, Quartermass, Etnica, Glasswalker and Disco Volante on other CDs. With that purchase I had found what I was looking for.

During the next few years all I could do was to check out what my local music store had to offer, which was mainly Tantrance, Pulse, Travelling and Goa-Head comps. In summer 99 I was on holidays on Ibiza, where I found a record shop that had all the releases on Spirit Zone Records. Up to that point I didn't even know that the genre is big enough that there are proper artist albums released :lol:

Later that year I got my Internet connection and at that point the real adventure of gathering more and more information on the psy scene, artists and releases and, of course, collecting releases began. Most importantly thanks to that fantastic review database that is now called psynews.org. Yes, I'm actually around here since the beginning but rarely posted anything. Also, I rarely visited psynews during the last 3 years, as I was focussing on expanding my musical taste a bit (still all electronic though), but as psytrance sort of was my first big love I decided to sign up to psynews again, and I'm really looking forward to sharing some thoughts on good music.

sorry it ended up in a kind of introduction post....

...but then again it's my first post, so it should be forgiven ;)

Hello Astro Cortex, Welcome ! I really liked your nickname so I had to reply to you...;) I am glad you started so early, that early. I also started that early and you can really feel the difference of discovering trance between new commers and people that were newbies back then. I know lots of young, new commers that haven't even heard of MFG or Transwave for that matter. It is like they are stuck with modern that they are not even aware of the past. I am glad that you experienced right music at the right time...My first purchase was Pulse 1 compilation and after hearing all of the songs I was abolutely split apart, cause I also started with early Prodigy, Underworld, Orbital, some gabba trance and early trance before that so when I discovered PSYCHEDELIC my brain waves biologically connected to that frequency instantly so I got entranced and haven't stopped trancing for 9 years now...;)

Started back in 93-94....!!! First Party was Chakra and Mark Allen if i'm not wrong....!! And after that was "The Goa kids from Holland-Riktam and Bansi" as it was written on the flyer...!! Before they form GMS....!! Have some pics from that day and they look pretty young....small boys.....like what i used to be then...!!!

I began the search for music I heard back when I was doing the club scene (about 1995 or 1996). Skip forward to 1999 and Napster! It opened my eyes beyond the Oakenfold and Van Dyk and introducted me to Hallucinogen and Astral Projection!!!! This music is infectious....

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I really take counscious about goa sound thaks a musical shop L.C.D, it was a weird cool concept which was created in 1994 in my town (it has dissapeard since, & had lested few time) indeed for few money you got the right to borrow a cd for a limited time. The owner was possessing lots of german trance cd & electronic cds & of course some few goa one (i remember i took at LCD a compilation with some Platipus stuffs on it :Union Jack -Cactus).

I only bought my first goa cd on 96, it was Tantrance 2.

Guest Astro Cortex

Hello Astro Cortex, Welcome ! I really liked your nickname so I had to reply to you...

Thanks seraph for liking my nickname :D

It's actually a track by my favourite band, Ozric Tentacles. That track rocks and so does its title, that's why I chose it as my nickname :)

I am glad that you experienced right music at the right time...

yeah, I only wish I had discovered more of it, especially the early 90s stuff that I'm tracking down nowadays, very psychedelic but not yet psytrance. But there was no chance. I didn't have internet at the time, so it was difficult to get information on what's "out there" in terms of underground electronic music. And I was probably a bit too young to have the right connections. I knew zero other persons at that time who had the same musical taste and even today it's very very few. But then, I'm not sure if I would've enjoyed, for example, something like Autechre at the time, who I count to my top favourite artists nowadays. Ah yes, I remember watching the video clips of Aphex Twin's Donkey Rhubarb and Autechre's Second Bad Vilbel on MTV back in 95 or 96. But it simply had to be trance for me back then :rolleyes:

well, i have allways liked electronic music. never could listen to anything else. I liked stiff like Milk inc and TRancemaster trance. But as a few buddies and i were downloading music for a party we were looking for tracks similar to Brooklyn Bounce, with alot of base. But we didnt know what to search for and by pure chance downloaded a track just called Goa and Dancing Galaxy by Astral. When i heard the Astral track i was forever spell bound and when the Goa track came on it was also wonderfull. this was in 2001.

But after that i went back to more mainstream trance , but still listened to random Astral tracks.

But in 2003 again i was sick of the regular trance and wanted something new. A girl in my class was all into Psytrance/mushroom trance as she called it. Thought i was horrible(infected mushroom) but then i went on DC and downloaded Electric Universe-one love,total eclipse and Goa Gil for some reason. someone typed the album names in the chat and then i had rediscovered the love for psy. Then realizing that the tracks that i had loved from Astral was psy trance made it even deeper and i understod that this would be with me for ever.

Dec. '03, I had just ingested an extremely massive dose of shrooms in a creepy dark basement at midnight by myself, and my friend started sending me tracks off of Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger on the comp down there. Quite a trip, I was in a world of demons and plants with infinite fractalled leaves.

Cubicidal, you were in the world of demons while listening to The Lone Deranger ?!?! How come ? That album always showed me bright paths especially Deranger track. Umm, yes, there is Horrorgram track and you were in the basement, makes sense...:P

goa...

i begin to listen,or that time to interest in trance music in 96'..this time it's already was ok with this stuff in israel..

after i came to india first time in 2001...since then .....woooow full power.goa partys...full moons in rajasthan...parvaty and himachal pradesh..non stop..

i give thanks and praices in strange places...but all for jah..and lord shiva for my inner connection..

love love love..

Cape Town, Easter, 1998.

On the morning of a Flying Rhino outdoor party. Under a tree. With Dr Hoffman in head..... and Dominic Lamb in my ears!

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

i also discovered psytrance in 'TranceMax' (i remember it was friday evening) and after that in 'la skyreve' about 8 years ago. at this time i did not really liked this music very much (i was 13 years old and i mostly listened eurodance, baaahh!), but little to little i began to repeat in my head some goa samples like 'transportons nous par la pensée...' and one day i realised that "this is the music i really like". since then i never stopped to listen goa music...

• 1 year later...

One lovely topic from the past :)

i can't remeber if i already told the story on how I got into the goa scene...

it was similar to one experience i read here, a dude came back from holand with this strange cd of this weird music he has never heard before, called VA - Pulse - This Is Psychedelic Trance. He made me a tape with some guitar heroes (at the time i was playing guitar and listening to metal) and added one track from that cd.

IT was Quatermass - Kali. After the first listen i found something strange in the music, something fascinating.. i asked him for the compilation and woa my journey became. It made me mad.. ahhh memories :)