When/how did your goa expierience begin...

Guest Rain

144 members have voted

1. 1. When/how did your goa expierience begin...

• < or = 1993

once i heard LSD, my goa craze started - that track took me to far away distant lands! amazing  :D

i think i am one of the few people in my area that listen to goa, lol... i love closing my eyes, listening to the music, and feel like i am dreaming, yet jumping and stomping around....!

215012[/snapback]

thats why i listen to it! :D

my first time was in a forest rave - but i think it may have been acidic techno - if only i could remember - i dont fully remember hearing the music as such, but the people were definately psychedelical / dreds sandles & flouro.. suppose thats all i needed to remember..

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like autolycus, long time lurker, 1st post.

I was living in Japan in 2000 when a friend loaned me Moment of Truth and a few Destination discs. I was blown away from the first listen, and immediately wanted more. Oddly enough, we noticed some flyers that week advertising a goa/psy party at an underground (literally) club. We made it to the party, and that was it.

The city I was living in was packed with Israeli's, as many are doing the Goa - Thailand - Japan loop (the Japan leg is to make cash selling jewelery on the street, the others are for dancing). I'd been working as a bartender and quickly befriended many of them, who passed on lots of music to me. Within a couple of months I'd amassed a fairly decent amount, and started going into the club I worked at in the afternoons to learn how to mix it. A short time later I started to DJ, mostlly at after-parties that wouldn't begin until 7 or 8 am. After a couple of years, I'd worked my way into much bigger parties. The last big event was on an island, on top of a mountain, amidst the trees, off the coast of Hiroshima for 3 days. Pure bliss.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble. Point is, doing the trance dance for the last five years has been incredible. I left Japan a year ago, got married, had a son, bought a condo and am now resigned to stomping around my living room with the headphones cranked. My life has changed but my music has not. Peace. javascript:emoticon(':)')

smilie

My first exposure was in 1994 when as friend of my mothers sent us a tape from India.... the music was of course unlike anything I had heard before and I loved it!!! :D

Sporadically we would get music sent... i had absolutely NO idea how/where to get it from other than that.

Went to my first forest party in 1995. I feel so damn lucky to have grown up in an area that was having forest parties 10 years ago... real small - 100 people or so, a few fluro hangings, a couple of lights - it was awsome! It felt so damn different to anything else that was happening at the time - really underground and hence incredibly friendly.

***nostalgia***

hi, long time lurker, 1st post ;)

1996 - i was into the modscene, and downloaded a music disk called "Lucid 2" from ultrabeat, and there was a goa track in there "Welcome to the Gods" by Sybaris, and i thought it was great! in the comments, he mentioned "hail the Hallucinogen!". so i was like, i must know what Hallucinogen is!

215012[/snapback]

Hey, great to see other sceners here too. Did u make own music aswell?

Anyway, Ultrabeat is one of my main reasons for liking goa too.

Symbiotes "Phantasmagoria" and everything made by Mantis/Matrix Cubed/m3

is just awesome. Still today..

1995 when I bought my first two goa EPs

Man With No Name - Floor-Essence

100th Monkey & Tristan - Desert Music EP Part 1

I can never forget that energy!

Mine began with a tape also/k7. amazing trance still blows my head today.

is this the same tape everyone is talking about?

anyway from the whole tape i only found one song till now. its astral projection life in mars. the rest its been so many years and i still haven t found the rest.

Then i listened to IFO and i was addicted.............simple

Mine began with a tape also/k7. amazing trance still blows my head today.

is this the same tape everyone is talking about?

anyway from the whole tape i only found one song till now. its astral projection life in mars. the rest its been so many years and i still haven t found the rest.

Then i listened to IFO and i was addicted.............simple

215117[/snapback]

the tape i had was a recorded one, not original , and didnt had astral on it.

i'm having a deja-vu , there was already a topic like this..

My experince first happend in 2001 I was livoong in the outback Northern territory australia and went for a walk near my house in near the beach inbetween the grass shrubs ther was hundreds of people with a full moon loud music the best of have ever heard outside and the decor they had pput up freaked me out totaly I was a bit freaked out but mesmirezed just standing back and wow.. got my freinds they came down and i have never looked back ever since

by the way when I say freked out it was like a natraul kinda high.....yehh :lol:

I started listening in 1999 to goa/psy!!! I was very negative to "boring repetitive" non-inspired techno music at the time since i had never heard the goa/psy style before!! But a friend insisted that there exist really great music so she showed me some good ol' infected mushroom (gathering album) and astral projection tracks .. then i heard Hallucinogen, shakta, transwave etc! it went downhill from there! :blink: thus i got stuck forever in this neverending serotonine release heaven! :lol:

It was exactly the kind of music i was searching for!! I felt like it was speaking to my soul!! yeey! No other music make me feel this way other than ambient stuff!

Guest The Journey Man Project

1996 after starting off with happy hardcore,moving into acid techno followed by drum n bass and prodiy early works then I found Psytrance through X-Dream... had a bad drug experience n '99 and stopped listening to electronic music for 2 years (sold off my studio my masiive collection of music) and then fell back in love with psy again.... now I have 350 cd's and my dj gear and busy saving for new studio... although I must say I miss my gold copy of Hallucinogen cd that I sold for $10.00 in Australia...

I guess it was around 2000 when I first heard about goa. I was enjoying nightlife and E every weekend, mainyl in clubs are at trance/techno parties. Then one day my best friend took me to a small indoor party her brother was organising. She told me it was goa and he was one of the DJs, I haven't heard of Goa before but didn't really care. We went there, it was fantastic (the music and the deco and the party) and since then I'm loving it. We were still going into other clubs but during the summer we visited mainly outdoor parties and I got more and more familiar with the sound. Started to buy CDs and later also vinyls and of course I still do that now.

Unlike many others I still like trance and I still visit trance parties today. But for sure not every weekend. I love psy and goa but there is also enough space in my heart for good trance.

for me it was in spring 2000, i went to a friends house, everybody was on pills. i also had my first e experience. then after a while i noticed the music, it just got me somehow. i used to despise techno and electronic music in general before that, so i was verry curious asking them all they knew about this-they didn't know much. so the next day i went online to find out more about it and luckily also found psynews.org!! and 2 weeks after that i went to my first psy-trance party, the zoom festival in switzerland. i didn't take anything and i was totaly blasted away by the whole thing, the people the decor and of course the music. i still remember that they played psychedelic pollution by logic bomb, i had that elephant noise in my head for ages. thats when it started for me and ever since-i love it. :P

I had enjoyed electronic music for some time. I used to listen to Kraftwerk's Computer World on cassette tape when I was a kid as well as some Tangerine Dream.

In 1997 I was looking for something different from the usual and bought a 2 cd compilation called Distance to Technoland. Most of it was pretty mediocre until I got to the back end of the second disk. There sat Hallucinogen - LSD, Astral Projection - Aurora Borealis and Transwave - Ulysses (Voyage 2). I used those artists as a guide to make my next purchase which was Distance to Goa 3. I used the tracks off of that as a guide to the next, etc, etc.

I now own nearly 500 cds of electronic music. Goa, Psy, DnB, Chill, Ambient, Breakbeat, Dub, etc. Most of it is psy. I don't see ever getting tired of the variety in electronic music.

it all began in 1998....where i went to my first rave (we all had to start somewhere) and here i was given my first ecstasy tablet. and i had a wonderful time. then i repeated this process every weekend for around 2 years. then one of my mates told me one day that this was no longer the way, there were greater and more fun things to be done....the truth lay hidden in a beautiful valley a hundred km out of cape town, south africa. "pack your tent my son"....

once arrived i was told that ecstasy was not the way to experience ones first psychedelic trance party. 2 x hoffmans would be a subtle initiation. i remember standing on the dancefloor when it hit me. complete understanding of everything. being able to feel every beat of the music. dancing against your own will. every beat drilling you into the ground, pummeling your senses into oblivion. experiencing true madness as i have never experienced before. and it was good. and although the drug use has subsided since then, the essence of what made it "fun" will never fade for me. i emerged 3 days later, a changed man. a more positive and wise person i would like to think. a complete personality upgrade, and a much more optimistic outlook on everything this life we live has to offer.

i also never laughed as much in my life. stomach crippling, spit dribbling, tear streaming laugher. i dont think thats anything anyone ever gets sick of.

Winter '98

First sounds:Hallucinogen,Etnica,MFG,Cosmosis,Astral Projection and the most important of all:X-Dream!

I first had a listen to Radio.Telegram and Electromagnetic shocked me.I have always wondered about the perfection of Telegram.So Radio album was the first big shock.And maybe the best.Then it was the original copy of The Lone Deranger.Then Alien Protein.So i was in for good.

Well, I started getting kinda into trance and EDM in general about 6 years ago and have just been slowly checking out other genres to see what I like. About 2 years ago i started accumulating some psy-trance not even knowing it was psy, just thought it was "some wierd trance", but i liked it way more than any other EDM (and more than most music in general). Probably a little over a year ago i was looking up artists online and noticed that Astral Projection, Hallucinogen, and Infected Mushroom were all psy-trance.

Up finding that out I just checked out as much difference psy/goa as i could. I eventually found this site less than a year ago and started learning a lot more about the whole psy/goa world, and have discovered some amazing artists from the people on these forums (thanks!). The thing i've noticed with psy/goa is that certain songs will sound good on first listen, but will be too boring after hearing it a few times. Then other songs that didn't seem that great the first time sound awesome after hearing them a few times. I think it takes some time to realize the true depth of the tracks sometimes.

IT was maybe 2002 or 2003 when I started with Cydonia - In Fear of a Red Planet and Hallucinogen - Asnesnothine ... those two discs really were something special. I didn't like Techno and Trance but this music was different... darker, trippier, mystical. One lonely night I decided to listen to Hallucinogen's stuff... I was literally on a trip through time and space and beyond... Never had such a musical experience before (that's why I love Hallucinogen that much). This was my entry in the wonderful world of Goa :) ... with the time I started liking Psy, too and after some months I was completely addicted to Goa/Psy :D

Hmmmz... now this is tricky.

I would say my experience begun in the fall of 2003 but I actually got into goa alot earlier... Mostly because of my older brother (thanku u ^_^), and that was about 1998 (but not sure...baaaaaaaad memory :lol:)