Dark Goa , yes it exists...

AmithabaBuddha

noboy mentioned Battle of the Future Buddhas - Twin Sharkfins! Dark, crispy, filthy and still melodic!

215430[/snapback]

Interesting, I was listening to Twin Sharkfins by Battle of Future Buddhas earlier and I don't think they're all that dark, but they're totally not uplifting, heh... I find much of their music very noisy and not melodic, just beats with lots of psychedelic sounds swirling around them, and the direction of the tracks seem to go nowhere on their one main album. And yet this album seems to have gotten many really good reviews for some reason. :huh: Oh well, not my style I suppose. There are three tracks I find really good though, (4, 8, 9). Wish they released a second album with all great tracks because when they're good, they're great!

Sandman - Witchcraft is a great dark goatrance album, but its more dark-evil DARK, than just "dark," like say, the tone, as in some of Miranda's stuff.

Darshan - Awakening is a really good dark but NOT evil-dark goa album.

Darshan - Spectra is unfortunately NOTHING nothing like Awakening! Its minimal, repetitive, boring, and very disappointing! Don't even bother with this one!

MFG - Project Genesis is a great, dark goa album!

There are not so many real dark goa albums :

UX - Ultimate Experience

Talamasca - Beyond The Mask

Cydonia - In Fear Of Red Planet

Children Of Paradise - Urban Alien

Message From God - Project Genesis

Battle Of The Future Buddhas - Twin Sharkfins

Analog Pussy - Psycho Bitch From Hell

Xenomorph - Cassandra's Nightmare

Menis - Temporary Insanity

Toi Doi - Technological

Chi-A.D. - Anno Domini

Darshan - Awakening

Slide - Unstable

X-Dream - Radio

Tristan - Audiodrome

Delta - Scizzoeffective

Semsis - Letting Go

Psychaos - Cause And Effect

Last five aren't actually goa trance but rather hard psychedelic, but from goa artists...

UX - Ultimate Experience

Talamasca - Beyond The Mask

Cydonia - In Fear Of Red Planet

Children Of Paradise - Urban Alien

Message From God - Project Genesis

Battle Of The Future Buddhas - Twin Sharkfins

Analog Pussy - Psycho Bitch From Hell

Xenomorph - Cassandra's Nightmare

Menis - Temporary Insanity

Chi-A.D. - Anno Domini

Darshan - Awakening

Slide - Unstable

Yes!, I totally forgot! Talamasca - Beyond The Mask is so dark. I always really liked that album and I think you made a really good list. The new stuff by Talamasca just makes me cringe! He sold out for an ordinary, full-on sound, just like Sandman did when Izik became Green House Effect, which never released an album since. I don't get it?; its pathetic! Anyway, I basically agree with the others, but Chi-A.D dark? I think thats a hard one because he has seveal dark tracks but the main album? The only thing I would have added is Xenomorph - Qlippoth, and why has no one mentioned Dark Soho? Also, I've never heard UX - Ultimate Experience, or Menis either, but UX doesn't seem to exist anywhere! :huh: I've read positive reviews I think in these old goatrance reviews section, but this thing isn't even on saiko sounds or psyshop I think. Weird... :huh:

Last four aren't actually goa trance but rather hard psychedelic, but from goa artists...

221334[/snapback]

Is there such a thing as hard goa? I have never heard the term hard-psychedelic used before. Just curious, but what makes COP - Urban Alien goa and not hard psychedelic? Do you say this because of the lack of melodies or epic melodies?

And I just found an album I never knew existed. I've heard them on comps but was never impressed. The artist and album that seems to be pretty good, based on the samples, and have a darker tone, (I really like the melodies in the first song!!) is Rastaliens - Freestyle. Link to samples is below, but I'm sure many of you knew about this album long before I did.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/bal/bal1cd003.html

what i can call dark goa (for me) :

of course, 2 darshan albums

Xenomorph : Cassandra's Nightmare (1998)

Bodh Gaya : Ayahuasca (1999)

Tim Schuldt : Single Collection (2000)

maybe that too (a bit less dark i think) :

Joking Sphinx : A la recherche de la banane pyramide (1997)

Nuclear Ramjet : Age of Aquarius (1998)

say me if you are'nt agree with me :)

sorry to intervean

BUT XENOMORPH IS NO GOA.

HE IS THE MASTER AND THE CREATOR OF DARK PSYTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRANCE

BOW TO THE MIGHTY XENOMORPH.... !!!

casandra's nightmare is just pure dark psy.

Posted Image

sorry to intervean

BUT XENOMORPH IS NO GOA.

HE IS THE MASTER AND THE CREATOR OF DARK PSYTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRANCE

BOW TO THE MIGHTY XENOMORPH.... !!!

casandra's nightmare is just pure dark psy.

Posted Image

221600[/snapback]

hmmmmm yes maybe,

for sure qlippoth album (2003) is dark psy but we can hear "goa melodies" and tracks constructions remember a lot goa trance when we hear cassandra's nightmare (1998)... and like it's 1998, i think it's more dark goa than dark psy ;)

after that, i'm agree with you when you say it is the creator and master of dark psytrance, maybe with tim schuldt and sandman :)

hmmmmm yes maybe,

for sure qlippoth album (2003) is dark psy but we can hear "goa melodies" and tracks constructions remember a lot goa trance when we hear cassandra's nightmare (1998)... and like it's 1998, i think it's more dark goa than dark psy  ;)

after that, i'm agree with you when you say it is the creator and master of dark psytrance, maybe with tim schuldt and sandman  :)

221603[/snapback]

he was always ahead of his time

truely he is a profet

youve got bhudda,jezus,mohammed,and xenomorph to tear it all down with his demonic music.

BOW TO HIM

BOOOOOOOWWWWW TOOOO HIIIIMMMM

you call filteria old school too. . .

so when it is made

makes no difference does it?

he was always ahead of his time

truely he is a profet

youve got bhudda,jezus,mohammed,and xenomorph to tear it all down with his demonic music.

BOW TO HIM

BOOOOOOOWWWWW TOOOO HIIIIMMMM

you call filteria old school too. . .

so when it is made

makes no difference does it?

221606[/snapback]

filteria is old school with new production, new machines and new bassline

so, it's not so old school... it's a remember of old school goa with new arrangements... i prefer call it simply goa trance psychedelic :P

Guest Astro Cortex

The Deviant - Dawn of Epsilon is one of the darkest psy tracks I can think of.

And, as Basilisk said, Flying Rhino put out some really dark stuff too. I'm talking about the Black Rhino and 2nd Flight Compilations here. Tracks like Slinky Wizard - Fist Full of Mutants etc.

However, I don't consider Darshan - Awakening sounding dark, Spectra has some darker tracks on it, like 1 Ohm, but overall it's still far away from those I mentioned.

And I just found an album I never knew existed. I've heard them on comps but was never impressed. The artist and album that seems to be pretty good, based on the samples, and have a darker tone, (I really like the melodies in the first song!!) is Rastaliens - Freestyle. Link to samples is below, but I'm sure many of you knew about this album long before I did.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/bal/bal1cd003.html

221374[/snapback]

I would go for that one... :D , one of my fauvorite, I'm not into fullon but this one kicks ass B)

wow, really cool of you to mention Metal Spark! dutch guy vs UK, i only know a couple of songs from these guys but they absolutely rule! What was their label again?

215208[/snapback]

Metal Spark released their Corrosive album on Blue Room.

Btw, if you like Metal Spark you should try Sibilant, it's one of their aliases. They released an album on Symbiosis called Proper Filth.

Two great albums.

The new stuff by Talamasca just makes me cringe! He sold out for an ordinary, full-on sound, just like Sandman did when Izik became Green House Effect, which never released an album since. I don't get it?; its pathetic!

221374[/snapback]

I like the Green House Effect album a lot, and I wouldn't consider it selling out. Keep in mind that he used a new artist name for a sound that was completely different from his Sandman music.

According to the rumours no label has been willing to release Sandman's new music, just as with the Chi-AD album.

• 2 years later...
Guest antic

Darshan - Spectra is unfortunately NOTHING nothing like Awakening! Its minimal, repetitive, boring, and very disappointing! Don't even bother with this one!

So Jon, have you changed your opinion about this one yet? If not, you definitely should give it another try - from their two albums I like Spectra better, because IMO Awakening is to straightforward.

:)

• 11 months later...

Darshan is my favourite goa project.

And it's not "him", it's "they" - the duo, to be correct, consisting of Grant Collins & Mark Robinson.

They had intense producing period, releasing EP after EP and two albums with very small interval. Their biggest years were 1997 and 1998. After that they had less and less output until demised completely in the late 90s / early 00s.

Their most powerful tracks:

Tranceformations

Warped Dimension

Digital Damage

Navigator

+ whole 'Awakening' album, basically.

Amazing project and very original one at that.

Long memory and respect.

Tranceformations

Digital Damage

amazing tracks but not dark in my opinion,just twisted,demented,chaotic tracks.

if you want old-school dark trance then go for......

CYDONIA

Dark Goa for the win :posford: and the UX album is for sure one hell of a ride, few albums with so many good tracks on like that particular CD. One track i really like that isnt really goa but very dark and melodic is : Infected Mushroom-Return Of The Shadows

I feel Dark Goa inadvertently sounds psychedelic. The good dark Goa albums I've heard are:

Message From God (MFG) - Project Genesis

Juno Reactor - Beyond the Infinite

Cydonia - In Fear of a Red Planet

Chakra & Edi Mis - The Promised Land

Crop Circles - Tetrahedron - I found this album to be darkish.