Good festivals to go to

Empty Space

OK well I don't do much travelling, and my province has a serious lack of good electronic music festivals (psy-related or other).

I went to the Om Festival, which is usually held within a 5-hour drive from Toronto (though in different locations)

And I seem to recall an event called Teknival or something which happened here, I didn't go and don't know if it still happens here.

Can anyone suggest a good multi-day festival in other countries besides Canada?

I want to travel to Europe soon, this year or next, and wouldn't mind doing it in summertime going to a crazy festival! I've heard of the bigger ones... Samothroki (spelling?) Full Moon... Burning Man... I know lots about Burning Man, not so much about the other ones...

appreciate if ppl can give ideas, maybe a little about the festival (vibe/music/location/country/time of year it occurs etc)

Wouldn't mind meeting anyone from here in the process too!

Thanks ;)

OK well I don't do much travelling, and my province has a serious lack of good electronic music festivals (psy-related or other).

I went to the Om Festival, which is usually held within a 5-hour drive from Toronto (though in different locations)

And I seem to recall an event called Teknival or something which happened here, I didn't go and don't know if it still happens here.

Can anyone suggest a good multi-day festival in other countries besides Canada?

I want to travel to Europe soon, this year or next, and wouldn't mind doing it in summertime going to a crazy festival!  I've heard of the bigger ones... Samothroki (spelling?) Full Moon... Burning Man... I know lots about Burning Man, not so much about the other ones...

appreciate if ppl can give ideas, maybe a little about the festival (vibe/music/location/country/time of year it occurs etc)

Wouldn't mind meeting anyone from here in the process too!

Thanks  ;)

213945[/snapback]

hi nice new photo by the way have you thought about coming to Australia from November to march we have big fun mltiday festivals nearly every few weeks which also attracts wicked as internationals if you are intrested let me know and I will pass you on some dates ect/////// ;)

This year the place to be is Sonica in Italy. It's in the mid August i think and it will have some top psy acts such as Hallucinogen, Infected Mushroom,Ott, Pixel, Sub6, Joti Sidhu and plenty more. The other options are Voov and Full Moon in Germany. The first one is more on the progressive side and the other one is 5 days of non stop full-on (can you handle it?) Also there are smaller alternatives like Crystal Matrix festival in Portugal with their mafia (GMS etc etc) Omni and Transit in Spain. Omni for various but more full on oriented acts and Transit is more Tech-Trance oriented. Also smaller but trippier venues in Romania (Transilvania calling) and Hungary (Ozora), with a bit darker side of the things.

I personally plan on Sonica.

check www.goatrance.de for party info on various countries... There are lots of big commercial events like Full Moon, VooV (voov is much better!),... Try to pick 1 German festival at least, they are mostly outstanding organisers... Besides you have lots of smaller festivals around Europe with all kinds of line ups...

Where are you exactly looking for?

I could advise you to come to brazil... awesome girls, beautiful nature and very good parties.. but I guess you wont come, so lets talk about europe

well, I would advise you to go next year, not this.. why? because I wont be there this year hahahah.. nah but really... If I would go to europe, I would consider going to the following 3 festivals:

Sonica in italy (for the location and the chill line up)

Voov in germany (great fucking organization, and I loved the music last year)

Samothraki in greece (I heard lots of bad stories about cops, but since they are doing it again, I guess they will have solved this problem.... but man, the line up, the place and the people seemed fucking awesome)

and of course, anything else that would come my way... but if you go next year, maybe we meet =)

I second VooV in Germany, was there in -03 and absolutely loved it

Romania, Transylvania calling sounds interesting too

Liquid Elixir, Finland :lol: well, last year was just plain great

Also some festival in Hungary...don´t remember the name?

All my friends want to go to fullmoon this year :unsure: Don´t know if I´ll end up there with them also :(

I'll add another recommendation for Voov in Germany. The organizers have been doing the festival since the early-90s and know what they are doing. The atmosphere is wonderful, the sound is incredible, and the music is always outstanding. And it is definitely *not* on the progressive side - it's got it all. There is always one stage with more full-on and psychedelic sounds (in the last 2 years it's featured artists like Wizzy Noise, Silicon Sound, Altöm, Eskimo, Alien Project, etc) and a 2nd "alternative" stage with a wider range of music from progressive to tech-trance to more full-on sounds.

www.voov-experience.de

I'll add another recommendation for Voov in Germany.  The organizers have been doing  the festival since the early-90s and know what they are doing.  The atmosphere is wonderful, the sound is incredible, and the music is always outstanding.  And it is definitely *not* on the progressive side - it's got it all.  There is always one stage with more full-on and psychedelic sounds (in the last 2 years it's featured artists like Wizzy Noise, Silicon Sound, Altöm, Eskimo, Alien Project, etc) and a 2nd "alternative" stage with a wider range of music from progressive to tech-trance to more full-on sounds.

www.voov-experience.de

214090[/snapback]

hey...

if u r looking for good festivals and partys (outdoor ofcourse) i advise u to go directly to ISRAEL for sure

wont regret it

yosi

And if u can wait another year, definatly check out the BooM festival in Portugal. My best experience ever. though i have not SO much to compare it to, for instance i haven't been to VooV yet.

This year i'm doubting between a festival in Morocco end of august, Sonica, or Trassylvania callin in romania.

time will tell which one it will be..

i'd go either to romania(verry good spirit, not so many people, beautiful country and alternative psy-trance), to ozra in hungary(similar to romania but maybe a bit more people and more well known acts), to sonica in italy(really nice line-up!!) or to the big german festivals. i personaly don't like the big german ones that much, they attract many people that are not really in to the music and just go to have a night out at a rave(since they are in between berlin and hamburg), but you do get a fare share of nice internationals there and of course big acts and good organisation. and as D3lirious said if it takes place again i can highly recomend the liquid elixir party in finnland wich had a wicked vibe and crazy music!

A friend of mine and I are considering going to FullMoon and VooV.

There are 30 km's from each other, and when one of them stops, you can travel from that to the other. Cannot remember which of them are hold first.

Take care.. :)

Crystal Matrix Recs & Spun Recs presents:

"Freedom Festival" : 18, 19, 20 e 21 August 2005 in Portugal

MAIN FLOOR

Live Act's:

GMS. (Spun Recs.NL)

Infected Mushroom (B.N.E Recs.ISR)

Hallucinogen (Twisted Recs.UK)

Wrecked Machines (Spun Recs.BR)

Astrix (Hom-Mega Recs.ISR)

Shift (Crystal Matrix.SOUTH AF.)

Talamasca (Mind Control ­Recs.FR)

Xerox & Illumination (Hom-Mega Recs.ISR)

Frequency Surfer (Spun Recs.NL)

Dj's:

Simon Postford (Hallucinogen/Twisted Recs.UK)

Dimitri (Spun Recs.RUS)

Shanti (Spun Recs.NL)

Riktam (GMS./Spun Recs.NL)

Bansi (GMS./Spun Recs.NL)

Celli (Spun Recs.SPAIN)

Bushman (Spun Recs.UK)

Torry (Spun Recs.USA)

Paul Taylor (Spun Recs.AUSTRALIA)

XP Voodoo (Spun Recs.RUS)

Raja Ram (TIP World Recs.UK)

Dino Psaras (Vision Quest.UK)

Edoardo (Neurobiotics.ITA)

Karan (3rd Eye ­Recs.INDIA)

OTT (Twisted Recs.UK)

Duniya (Crystal Matrix.PT)

AMBIENT FLOOR

3rd Ear (Dragon Fly ­Recs.UK)

DECOR

Lao Pow (Crystal Matrix.PT)

Tribe of Frogs (Crystal Matrix.UK/SPAIN)

Bamboo (Spun ­Recs.GER)

Sola (GER)

Space Invader (Spun Recs­.SPAIN)

"Freedom Festival" : 18, 19, 20 e 21  August 2005 in Portugal

MAIN FLOOR

Live Act's:

GMS. (Spun Recs.NL)

Dj's:

Dimitri (Spun Recs.RUS)

Shanti (Spun Recs.NL)

Celli (Spun Recs.SPAIN)

Bushman (Spun Recs.UK)

Torry (Spun Recs.USA)

OTT (Twisted Recs.UK)

AMBIENT FLOOR

DECOR

Bamboo (Spun ­Recs.GER)

Sola (GER)

214539[/snapback]

OMG WTF KILLLAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH :huh::P:(<_<:D:blink::o:unsure::rolleyes::lol::):angry::P BOM !

No serious.Who said about Samothraki this year?I must go,last time was in 2002,Samothraki Island can be really addictive u know....

OMG WTF KILLLAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH  :huh:  :P  :(  <_<  :D  :blink:  :o  :unsure:  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :)  :angry:  :P  BOM !

No serious.Who said about Samothraki this year?I must go,last time was in 2002,Samothraki Island can be really addictive u know....

214543[/snapback]

I know how addictive Samothraki can be not only because of the festival.

After what happened in 2003,I have heard that would not happenen again but maybe something changed!

Any info would be appreciated!

:)

umm...lets see here.....if you're in canada then I'd say Wemf, Om (which you've been to before), teknival, ummm.....there's lots of little festivals around here...

but the best one I would suggest would be Burning Man

That's held usually the second, to last weekend in october, and it is in the middle of Nevada desert in an area called Black Rock

It's a week long festval, you must bring enough necessities for the whole week or you're not allowed permission to enter....everyone gives something to the community for that week (this girl shaves your face, so you give her fruit, and this person is giving out shower water,,,,and this person is doing palm readings.....)

here, you'd have to check it out for yourself, it's a dream come true

www.burningman.com

umm...lets see here.....if you're in canada then I'd say Wemf, Om (which you've been to before), teknival, ummm.....there's lots of little festivals around here...

That's held usually the second,  to last weekend in october, and it is in the middle of Nevada desert in an area called Black Rock

It's a week long festval, you must bring enough necessities for the whole week or you're not allowed permission to enter....everyone gives something to the community for that week (this girl shaves your face, so you give her fruit, and this person is giving out shower water,,,,and this person is doing palm readings.....)

here, you'd have to check it out for yourself, it's a dream come true

www.burningman.com

214588[/snapback]

Yes and it costs like 3 weeks of work in a place where i come from.

And the heat... It's not humane.

[\

Hi can you send me some more info re party looks realy good maybe it will give me something to look forward to this year sorry for my ignorance but is portugal a safe country as I will be by myself'

cheers halee

quote=psymorph,Jan 27 2005, 10:53 PM]

"Freedom Festival" : 18, 19, 20 e 21 August 2005 in Portugal

MAIN FLOOR

Live Act's:

GMS. (Spun Recs.NL)

Dj's:

Dimitri (Spun Recs.RUS)

Shanti (Spun Recs.NL)

Celli (Spun Recs.SPAIN)

Bushman (Spun Recs.UK)

Torry (Spun Recs.USA)

OTT (Twisted Recs.UK)

AMBIENT FLOOR

DECOR

Bamboo (Spun ­Recs.GER)

Sola (GER)

214539[/snapback]

That's held usually the second,  to last weekend in october, and it is in the middle of Nevada desert in an area called Black Rock

It's a week long festval, you must bring enough necessities for the whole week or you're not allowed permission to enter....everyone gives something to the community for that week (this girl shaves your face, so you give her fruit, and this person is giving out

:D

funniest description of burningman i've ever heard.

first of all, it's the last week of August/first weekend of September.

second of all, nobody will stop you from entering if you have a ticket. even if you didn't bring enough water or food. basically, it's up to you to survive in the heat and the cold and the 60 mile-an-hour winds. they do have a helicopter rescue team to take your ass to the hospital if needed.

third of all, it's not about trade. It's about participation and gifts. Bring it, build it, so that others would enjoy it. It's like this whole huge psychedelic las vegas for one week in the middle of the nevada desert.

it's really an experiment in a different kind of society. you don't go there just to party, to pay to rip the fruits of other people's labor. you (and everyone) are there to make the party happen. burningman is not a consumer event. that's the main difference between burningman and any other festival.

but if you're going for the music, I'd suggest you choose something else. There's a decent amount of psytrance there, but it's not the main genre anymore. You'll hear a lot more breaks and house than psytrance.

hope this helps

Sweet Jesus!

hehehe... so many replies... I'm away from this topic for a day or two and look what happens... A lot of countries were mentioned, I only have 2 vacation weeks this year! Heheh... well I can take sick weeks as well ;) thank you all for the suggestions...Ideally I'd go all over the damn place, I'll have to start slow though tee hee!

fretshe: post a pic if you can, I'm curious now!

That Freedom Festival looks awesome, I may have to go to that. I know the deal with Burning Man as I've investigated the site thoroughly, I dunno if I'll end up going though to that one until I find someone who would drive me there! It's pretty extreme conditions! I'd want to go in an RV or something (well, the weather here right now ain't any better, -20 degrees celcius, 30-50kmh winds, -30 windchill factors... This has not been a merciful last couple weeks weather wise)

halee: whichever festivals you think are any good, let it out! you sound like a good times party girl, I'm sure you know some good ones... I'd love to go to Australia! Although check out the country as well as the festivals of course ;)

As far as the music I'm looking for, obviously Psy/Goa is my preferred style of music, but I also like hard techno, Drum'n'Bass (without the vocals), breakbeats and dub as well. General ambient can be good too, but it can also be cheesy elevator music as well.

The only kinds of (rave) music I really dislike (and I accept that it is everywhere!) is house music: prog-house, tech-house, and ambient-house (though this last one can be good at times).

Also really really REALLY dislike Happy Hardcore!! No amount of ecstacy can make me like that stuff...

Acid house is alright though, apparently it's making a comeback. I especially hate those diva vocals on the old house tracks!!!! Can't think of any other rave-ish music I dislike at the moment, I'm sure I'll remember something though ;)

As the music is important, just as important to me is the vibe that can be expected. I'd much rather go to a smaller festival w/ less good music where there is large respect for everybody,

than a large festival w/ better music where there is lack of respect (not saying I won't go to a big festival of course) I don't travel much but have seen and heard of unfortunate circumstances where people coming from other countries get their stuff stolen. I'd hate to be in Belgium or England or Germany and have my goddamn plane ticket stolen! You know what I mean....

Also whichever festival I go to I would hope someone from here would be going too, no friends of mine would do this kind of thing. I can do fine in a big festival alone of course, but with some chums it gets better of course (plus it will be less of breaking-the-ice if I meet someone from here, you think?)

Anyways I'm going to attempt to read all these posts I've missed now. Whoo yeah! Cheers to you all B)

Tribeadelic in Victoria, Australia...was the tits!!!! New Year's Eve!!! Camping!!!! Awesome tunes!!! Truly an amazing experience!!!!

214593[/snapback]

some photos from the recent 2005 Tribeadelic Gathering in Australia..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image