03. 09’24” André Absolut – Elevent 1

04. 07’12” Qualia - Feedback

05. 09’06” Vision & Canedy - Insane

06. 08’25” V-Tunes - Girl

07. 07’48” Sweat Attack vs. Klangstrahler – What Can I Say

08. 06’23” Feuerhake & Okay – Move The Signal

09. 09’36” Homer & Lazon – To The Unknown

Review:

A funky, groove-ridden cross-over bonanza… Can you dig it?

VP Records is a new label on the scene – adopted by the Domo label group… VP is short for Very Progressive and that is an aptly named label if I ever saw one… I mean, just take a look at the tracklist! And as the cover clearly states, this debut release is compiled by none other than DJ Zombi – the progressive top dog of Israel… Yeah, this should be interesting – let’s find out!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Igal M. – Fall In Green

Mr. Igal Magitman is from Israel and this is his first ever released track… But don’t let that throw you off – this is high quality progressive trance… Semi-fast, pumping, driving and knee-deep! I dig the mixture of edgy progressive trance, house and the more melodic and electronic influences… There are distinct Balearic-epic qualities here… Nice track!

#02: D-Sens – What You Want

D-Sens is Matthieu Delepau from the French Sub Machine crew… He’s a member of Luna Spice and Cosmosquad - and D-Sens is his solo project… The intro is very cool here… Some Asian chick is repeating an undecipherable word – bouncing back and forth between the left and right channel of your speakers… Ah, I love trickery like that… The percussion is in focus here, but we’re also treated to some synth action… Somehow this is just a little too anonymous and housey I think… I could’ve wished for more edge here… It’s nice, but nothing more…

#03: André Absolut – Elevent 1

André Absolut from Switzerland is well-known and respected progressive/tech house producer and DJ… He’s released two 12”s and several remixes within the last few years… This is my first encounter with his music, so I can’t tell whether this is his usual style… Anyway, this here is a pretty gloomy/dark tune… Sharp, metallic beats and stiff kicks – with plenty of aggressive hisses thrown in just to freak you out… My kind of music! Deep, dark, monotonous tech house… Brilliant!

#04: Qualia – Feedback

Qualia are Alan Rapoza & Maja Gabar from Slovenia. This duo has had a few tracks and a 12” released already – and you might already know the track ‘Plasma’ or the ‘Freshwater Rmx’ of the same tune… This is new however – a fast, uplifting, extremely danceable tune… Again the epic-like qualities are obvious and I’m certain this will be popular on the progressive dance floors… I have to restrain myself from bopping my head and wiggling my ass when listening to the best pads in this track… And that’s about the best damn recommendation I can give a track! Nicey nice!

#05: Vision & Canedy – Insane

Marc Wollenschein & Marco Mellmann aka. Vision & Canedy should be a familiar duo to most fans of progressive trance… They released their excellent debut album Another Life on Hadshot Haheizar in 2004 as well as two 12”s on Avalanche Records and Plusquam Records + several tracks on compilations… Anyway, this strays a little from the usual V&C path… Just a little though… Though still tribal, this also has melodies and subtle female voice samples… All creating another track of epic, Balearic decent… Nice track, but I have to admit I expected more from these guys…

#06: V-Tunes – Girl

V-Tunes are Sandro Kulka & Hans Muster from Switzerland… They had a track on the successful compilation The Swiss Connection put out by Domo Records in 2004 and a track on the Groove Zone Records compilation Back To The Future released in 2005… As on BTTF this track is on the trancier side of progressive house and has more edge than some of the previous tracks… I like edge – especially a subtle psy-trance edge as here… It’s just small hints, but it works… I dig this girl!

#07: Sweat Attack vs. Klangstrahler – What Can I Say

This track was already released as a Domo Records 12” last year – and gained support from big shot DJs as James Monro, etc… This is the first time on CD though – and this is a slightly different version… Sweat Attack is Gero Bode from Germany – and he also compiled this CD… Klangstrahler is Okay Candan also from Germany, and it’s been a long time since the last time I heard new stuff from him… But it was definitely worth the wait! I’m very, very impressed by this track… After the initial build-up it soon develops into a phat, phunky and sexylicious guitar-choon… From 4’20 and onwards it’s pure groove-a-delic overdrive… Sweet!

#08: Feuerhake & Okay – Move The Signal

Stefan Feuerhake has been in the game for years, releasing stuff primarily on Free Form… But this is his first release in 2½ years! Welcome back Stefan! Okay is Mr. Candan again… I think he’s a guitar-buff ‘cause we get more guitars here – mixed into a fair dose of progressive morning trance with housey elements… Nice drive in this track… Scores high on the funky groove-meter… Steamy hot!

#09: Homer & Lazon – To The Unknown

Omar Chelly & Jason Orfanidis from Sweden are better known under their psytrance moniker Tegma… They released their debut album Encoded / Decoded on Digital Structures in 2002… And when they produce music under the Homer & Lazon alias they cannot hide their trancy heritage… This is the hardest track here without any doubt – and also the one with the most psytrance elements… Floating rich melodic pads mated with complex percussion-driven progressive soundscapes… A massive track – indeed a worthy ending to this compilation…

This is one solid collection of tunes – will work wonders both at home, on the beach and on the dancefloor… Hats off to Zombi! I like it – I like it a lot… And I’m looking forward to future releases bearing your stamp of quality music… I’m not too impressed with the cover though – it’s a bit… I dunno… Tacky perhaps!? Nice girl and all, but the cover takes some getting used too… But hey, the cover is not what’s important…

An important aspect of VP Record’s philosophy is trying not to label the music they release… It’s all just good music breaking boundaries… As such the cross-over potential is huge and this omnium gatherum will appeal to a large crowd I’m sure… This is already the second great progressive trance compilation of 2005 – and hopefully we’ll see loads more… I’ve got high hopes for the future of this kind of music… Recommended for any fan of groovy, funky electronic music! Enjoy!

Favourites: 3, 4(!), 6, 7(!), 8, 9

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Sigomus: http://www.sigomus.com

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/vpr/vpr1cd001.html

Saiko Sounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4588

Chaos Unlimited: http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/pr...asp?LR=VIPICD01

Trance Shop: http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/prod...roducts_id=4411

ordered and waiting..

so tell me, DP, what did you think about the cover?

I cant really say until I have it in my hands, but from what I see, I dont like it...

ordered and waiting..

so tell me, DP, what did you think about the cover?

I cant really say until I have it in my hands, but from what I see, I dont like it...

212860[/snapback]

To be honest I don't really like the cover here... But at least it's something different... But don't let that steal the focus from the music which is excellent... =D

DP

To be honest I don't really like the cover here... But at least it's something different... But don't let that steal the focus from the music which is excellent... =D

DP

212877[/snapback]

indeed, from the samples, it seems exactly my taste.. proggy housy stuff =)

Too bad about the cover, but Im sure the music will make up for it

well at least the chick looks hot ;)

212879[/snapback]

I dont know, I think she looks somehow annoying.. hahah. .Cant explain it but I dont like the face..

lol true. i bet she has an annoying voice :unsure:

212918[/snapback]

lol! and the funny thing is, I would also bet on that =)

so this cd arrived yesterday.. Im still on the first listen..

I really dig all of this.. Its a slooooow cd, no ´cross over psygressive´, housy and groovy stuff...

I still need to listen a bit more, but I really dig most of the tracks.. There were 3 tracks that I didnt enjoy so much though..

I didnt like so much the qualia track.. Too fast and.. I dont know.. a bit too much for me.. I also didnt really enjoy the 2 guitar tracks (7 and 8)...

I still am on the first listen, so probably I will notice different things and digest these tracks a bit more, but for now:

one of the best prog compilations lately, together with prooved vol 2 and playground...

The cover, I liked a bit more than what I saw on the internet.. I digged the ´case slip´, and felt it was somehow ok the colourfull interior of the cover.. I still didnt like so much the front cover, but its not sooo bad..

btw.. the people who zombi thanks on the cover are the people to watch out for... life is progressive =)

Artist: Various

Album: Inspirazzia

Label: VP Records

Genre: Progressive Trance/house/breakbeat

Year: Jan. 2005

Tracklisting:

01. Igal M. – Fall in Green

02. D-Sens – What You Want

03. Andre Absolut – Elevent 1

04. Qualia - Feedback

05. Vision & Canedy – Insane

06. V-Tunes – Girl

07. Sweat Attack vs. Klangstrahler – What Can I Say

08. Feuerhake & Okay – Move the Signal

09. Homer & Lazon – To the Unknown

VP Records is the new deep progressive & tribal branch of the German/Israeli Domo Label Group. Headed by Israeli progressive maestro DJ Zombi, VP promises to showcase the grooviest of tribal progressive in Zombi’s unique vision. The first compilation, Inspirazzia, puts together a remarkably impressive lineup of veterans, current hot names and future stars, with a sound crossing over from progressive trance to breakbeat to deep tribal tech-house and beyond. Everything from the cover to the music is a different concept than we usually see for CD compilations – sleek and sexy, with a touch of naughtiness.

The music:

Opening Inspirazzia is an utterly sublime emotional progressive piece from newcomer Igal M. (half of psytrance duo Elec3) titled “Fall in Green”. A more perfect introduction to this fine label couldn’t be imagined – a simple chugging percussion & bassline drive the track as atmospheres and effects are smoothly layered on, gradually giving way to a simple yet highly touching melody. The melody is slowly developed to create an elegant build to a barely-noticeable peak, before you are brought back down equally as softly. This is deep emotional progressive trance as good as it gets – it also happens to be my favorite on the CD, so it gets the most space on paper. :) 100% musical velvet.

The CD continues with a deep minimal grooving number by French artist D-Sens. Almost reminiscent of the minimal Plusquam style, “What You Want” goes much deeper with a slight housey flavor and the sneaky tease of a melody. It’s brilliantly understated yet it gets the message across. Current Swiss star André Absolut is next with the surprisingly dark “Elevent 1”. The lowest bassline I’ve heard in years blends with tribal percussion and creepy chords & FX to make one of the most standout pieces I’ve heard from him yet. Slovenian duo Qualia brings the CD back to peak time dancefloor energy with the bleepy and bass-driven “Feedback”. It’s not complex, deep or anything that any of the previous tracks have been – but it’s sure to get the dancers moving. Recent German successes Vision & Canedy follow with the 2nd big surprise of the CD – the melody-driven “Insane”. Taking a step back from the percussion-driven grooves that have made them famous, this duo turns in an astoundingly airy piece with a bit of an old-time German trance feel to it. If you liked “Sonntagmorgenheimfahrt” from their 2004 album on Hadshot, this one is for you. Pure class.

Swiss newcomer V-Tunes turns in another deeply minimalistic track for this compilation in the simply-named “Girl”. Nice development, but still not the most exciting track on the compilation. Two veterans from the old Freeform crew are responsible for a pair of funky numbers towards the CD’s close. First is Sweat Attack vs. Klangstrahler giving a bit of guitar-driven funk with “What Can I Say”. Heavy guitar and vocal samples are the defining feature here – if you know earlier Klangstrahler work, you know what to expect. It’s not my thing, but I can see this working the floor. Feuerhake & Okay step up the funk even more with their first (and hopefully not final) foray into the land of breakbeat. Being a breaks fiend, I’m probably a bit biased, but this is the best work to date from Feuerhake. Heavy mental funk with a wicked beat – this is the sort of groove that’s been missing in progressive. More please! :) Closing the CD is Swedish duo Homer & Lazon, better known for their psy-prog moniker Tegma. Deep tribal percussion and dissonant acid stabs drive the track as vocal samples and simple melodies are slowly added to the mix. As with Tegma material, it’s a mixture of the dark with the redeeming – only with a more house-flavored rhythmical framework. Very cool.

Overall:

Hot damn, this is good. We get both fantastic debuts from several artists and major surprises from respected veterans. At best (ie, most of the CD), it’s surprising, moving and playful. At its worst...it’s still highly enjoyable. Hats off to Zombi and Domo for a fantastic debut. I’m gonna love to see how you follow this one up. :)

Rating: 9/10

Favorite tracks: 1-5, 8, 9

• 2 months later...

Yes, the cover is nice and the music is even better.

One of my favourite comps for 2004.

The songs that I enjoyed most were 2,3,5(!), 6(!), 8(!).

I found track 7 annoying. Which is a shame since I am a fan of the Klangstrahler Project.

We need more of these sort of comps to tickle our synapses.

Pedro

• 2 months later...

Inspirazzia

VP Records, 2005

Review Intro: I know this one came a little bit late, but hey good music is allways good music, and that's what's me and VP Records keen on.

01. Igal M. "Fall In Green" Compilation starts with a debut track from Igal Magitman, a part of the VP label artists. Soft smooth melodies and atmosphere make me feel like it's autumn again. Very solid track with an electronic drive inside the house oriented groove, develops slowly but surely takes you on a dramatic journey.

9/10

02. D-Sens "What You Want" I love that tune for its deep hypnotizing feel, great percussion works and repeating synth chords. The whole track goes through minimal soundscapes and lets your mind to be concentrated on small details.

8/10

03. Absolut "Elevant 1" One of my favourite artists in the progressive scene at the moment. Deep tech beats mixed up with diffusing synth lines, a dark vibe and some metallic kind of sounds make the feel of this tune to be more harder and futuristic.

8/10

04. Qualia "Feedback" First time I hear this duo from Slovenia. Very housey kind of tune, good for the dancefloor. The tune got nice load of percussion and synth sounds that work ass an addon to percussiion. One funky synth line reminds of a carnival. The repeating phase got me a bit tired.

7/10

05. Vision & Canedy "Insane" This guys brought me a lot of good feeling from their previous works, let's see what we got here. What we got here is less energy, more dreamy vibes, endless high tone synth line and a house chords. I loved their harder groove tunes more then that one, but not bad overall.

7/10

06. V-Tunes "Girl" Here comes the more psychedelic tune on this compialtion. I really dig this groove and this synth chops, nicely done effects and environment. It's a trip into a busy day of a girl.

8/10

07. Sweat Attack Vs. Klangstrahler "What Can I Say" Klangstrahler in the tracklist was a good surprise for me, I really dig this project with the ethnic influences and funky guitars all the way. Yes, it's like I expected, funky and sexy to the bone! Summer is here.

9/10

08. Feurhake & Okay "Move The Signal" Feurhake is an another funk star here. This time we got a break tune for a change. Disco feel, acidic sounds and some guitar riffs - the whole vibe is great, let's boogie!

8/10

09. Homer & Lazon "To The Unknown" A side project of Tegma for their deep progressive music. I really enjoyed the changes and the whole journey into the unknown. Hard driven distorted percussion with the soft pads and sounds leaded me till the end.

9/10

Review Outro: A debut compilation from one of the more progressive labels within Israeli minds behind it, DJ Zombi compiled here a wonderfull compilation. Let's wait for the future releases of the new label!

Cover Art: 6/10

Sound: 9/10

Album Concept: 9/10

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

ND.

• 12 years later...