Boards Of Canada

NT

Hello! I was just wondering if there are people around here who also adore the act "Boards Of Canada". They have been around for years now, most of their stuff released on the 'well known' label WARP records, i really love their ambient / soft IDM stuff, "Music Has The Right To Children" is definantely the best release, who else is into BOC? best songs are:

- Everything you do is a balloon

- Telephasic Workshop

- Nlogax

anyone else?

website = http://www.boardsofcanada.com/

Ahh boards of Canada - remember listening to 'em as i was on the tail end of my WARP phase!

WARP - sheer class in electronic music - in my view true sound pioneers!

AUTECHRE was awesome, with some beautiful melodies and APHEX earlier works was astounding!

Geogaddi was my favorite album from BOC - i think maybe it was because i had some wonderful memories trancing back to those times :)

Still wouldnt class em as psyambient tho :) (sorry asura!)

but a truely great vision lies behind the workings!

Will there be another album due?

do you know?

x

I LOVE Boards Of Canada with their twisted sense of humour and diabolism. I also have Music Has The Right To Childrem but also Geogaddi...both really good albums...:)

Also want to add that in some ways, now that i think aboot it, WARP (et al) opened my heart to psychedelic! :)

Before then I wouldnt touch electronic music with a stick as I was pro rock to the core! Listening to WARP stuff was a nice launchpad for what was to come

From grunge to rock to alternative rock to electronic ambient to psychedelic ambient to psychedelic trance to........

and just when i thought it all made sense...)

x

(seraph - nice avatar btw!!)

"Music Has The Right To Children" is definantely the best release, who else is into

211983[/snapback]

hehe that was a huge question and still is.Music has the right or Geogaddi?I choose Geogaddi.Dont know why.It sounds better in my ears.More hypnotic,more psychedelic,more "well-constructed"..?Anyway these two albums are a bless to the world of electronic msic.Music that has to be listened at list 100 times to be understood.BOC are artists in the REAL meaning of the word,and they know it.And we know it too.Noone should miss their unreleased material.There are some really great tracks.Like Forest Moon(!) or Mansel.

Edit:try also Music 70 for their website

I prefer Music has the Right..

Another great IDM artist I chanced upon is Arovane. Very minimal, complex arrangements with the occasional melody to fill the void...not really able to describe their music very well. Their latest album (Lilies) sucks due to overuse of melodies and vocals (eww), but their previous works are totally brilliant: I highly recommend Icol Diston, Atol Scrap and Tides.

I love BoC, their Music has the Right to Children album totally captured my attention the first time I heard it, beautiful nostalgic melodies, lovely!

I agree with Neophyte about Arovane, good stuff.

If you like BoC you should really look for Tycho's Sunrise Projector album. Yes, that's the Tycho you know from a handful of Tip World compilations. This time around beautiful melodies all the way:

http://www.tychomusic.com/

I don't like BOC so much, there are some better artists in the genre, like Autechre or Squarepusher. Geogaddi is better than Music Has The Right To Children IMO.

213229[/snapback]

I dont think you can compare BOC with AE.Maybe when they used to make music like Incunabula or Amber album,which IMO are their best.But that was 11 years ago.And again they have always been more experimental than anyone.Have you listened to their latest stuff?

I don't like BOC so much, there are some better artists in the genre, like Autechre or Squarepusher. Geogaddi is better than Music Has The Right To Children IMO.

213229[/snapback]

Dude! You can't compare those artists to BOC at all, especially not Squarepusher...

Well, I didn't mean to compare them as such, I just said that I like them more. And they are generally considered to be in the same genre... But maybe I have to listen to BoC more, and get their other stuff too. Maybe I'll learn to like it then :)

And they are generally considered to be in the same genre... But maybe I have to listen to BoC more, and get their other stuff too. Maybe I'll learn to like it then :)

214292[/snapback]

Noone really knows what exatly is IDM.So i would say that Ae is more experimental music and BOC is more downtempo.But the first 2 albums of Ae are something else.Nothing can compare to them.