Making a round clean bass?

ok so, while I dont get my sequenced synth problem solved, I´m working on the percussions and bass..

now here is my problem.. I simply cannot get a clean bass.. all of them are ´dirty and scratchy´ (sorry, thats the best way I can describe)... Im trying to use both vb-1 or novation bass-station, and even after fiddling and fiddling, twisting all sorts of knobs and looking at all pre-sets, I can only get these dirty sounding bass

the closest one I found was the sequenz bass from vb1, after a bit of messing around, which is the more ´tight´ one of the presets....

is there some effect that helps in doing the basslines? maybe something to make it more ´carved´ or powerful (sorry for the subjective words, but thats the best I can say)...

or maybe some other vsti?

thanks

ok so, while I dont get my sequenced synth problem solved, I´m working on the percussions and bass..

now here is my problem..  I simply cannot get a clean bass.. all of them are ´dirty and scratchy´ (sorry, thats the best way I can describe)...  Im trying to use both vb-1 or novation bass-station, and even after fiddling and fiddling, twisting all sorts of knobs and  looking at all pre-sets, I can only get these dirty sounding bass

the closest one I found was the sequenz bass from vb1, after a bit of messing around, which is the more ´tight´ one of the presets....

is there some effect that helps in doing the basslines? maybe something to make it more ´carved´ or powerful  (sorry for the subjective words, but thats the best I can say)...

thanks

211777[/snapback]

Do you have an example of how you would want your bass to sound? A sine bass can be very round. I think you can make one pretty easy in the Bass-Station. Otherwise, there are some really nice presets to play around with in the V-Synth.

I myself found the AudioRealism Bassline the other day (A 303 clone that is very nice sounding indeed), and it makes very nice round basses. But its a little bit of a bitch to setup.

Maybe have a look here:

http://www.samplecraze.com/audio-tutorials/synthesis1.htm

Hope it helps :)

if you like 303 bass then audiorealism bassline or TBL is the best choice for you (gms type bass)

i'm making basses with z3ta, definitely the most clean bass very very very great

for those hyper clean psytrance basses (like those in azax syndrome, digital talk etc...)

for bass in z3ta i setup 2 saw oscilators, very decent envelope on filter 1 cutoff (lowpass of course), i usually play with mod matrix more so note velocity influences cutoff and so, very great

natural bass efect...

i also add synchronized very decent delay, so the bass sounds more smooth (i don't like bass that sounds like distorted lead :))) you will not hear this delay when the bass plays, but you hear when you play single note...

using tbl and bassline is very very easy and straightforward but is very very limited to colour of sounds and features...

if i won't forget i'll bring some samples..

cya :)

hey nemo, thanks for the link, it is indeed nice for us beginners =)

anyway, yeah I had heard about the sine wave, but the problem is that I cant find where to choose it... I mean, in novation bass-station.. I can only see where to choose the lfo waveform (?), and you can only choose triangle or sawtooth... or you choose the osc 1 or osc 2 waveform, but only sawtooth or square, to choose from...

so either there is a hidden menu in the bass station, or I choose it not from inside the prog, but in some effect menu or something, or I have to use some program like soundforge ? (or Im just dumb and its some other simple thing to do..)

Clean deep bass:

Filter type: Low Pass

Waveform: Sine or Square (you could try to use two oscilators... set other one octave above or below)

Take off high frequencies (the dirtyness) with the Filter (Low Pass in this case).

No Resonance... or very little. The sound is smoother/warmer without Resonance... the more you add the more hollow/weird it will sound.

To get more fatter bass put it through a Distortion plugin and get rid off the high frequencies with some Filter plugin (Low Pass again) or with EQing (from master mixer).

Also check that the Filter ADSR Section is set the way you want. (ADSR= Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release)

I usually use my pulsar for basses, but I had a play with the audio realism recently, and that is the best VST'i I have tried for basses.

It does have good punch and depth.

Otherwise I had problems finding a VSTi that produces basses with enough depth to them.

Having said that apart from the audio realism I have not even tried for a long time, but the z3+a is quite dense sounding, and I can very well imagine that is not too bad.

About GMS.

I have heard that they use VB1 a lot, and it sure sounded like it last time I heard a track from them (I'm glad to say that was a while ago though :) )

And don't get to fixed on the sinewave. It's good for subby DnB style basses but if you want a bit of mid presence as well use a saw or square.

thanks for the tips guys, Ill try them out as soon as my sister leaves (she is using the computer with the music progs)..

btw.. nah, I dont want to do GMS type basses.. I would probably be playing in the dub-music realm, and slower proggie/housy trance too...

when I find something good, I write here... this morning I was trying out the z3ta+ vsti, and maybe there are some nice things there.... but while I dont find it, Im still using the simple sequenz bass in vb1...

and towelie.. yeah I thought about that... recording a real bass guitar for dub would indeed probably be the best.. the problem is, I dont have the proper equipment to record, and neither know how to really play one (I could try if I had one)... so for now, I try to find a synth bass that sounds the closest to a real bass

• 2 weeks later...

Astrix, GMS, Wizzy Noise all swear by the Vb-1. BTW I heard ( from my Timecode connections ) that Wizzy still use Cubase vst 32 r6!!!! could'nt give a toss about anything released after!

Bassline-wise...

I have used the VB-1

I have used the Bass Station

I have used a bunch of VSTi's

...but I haven't found a better Bass synth than the good ol' Reason Subtractor!

They should make a subtractor VST!

Cubase is my weapon of choice, but the subtractor is still the most solid bassliner!

Render some Subtractor bass hits to wav and toss em into Cubase!

Cool tips dudes

Boom!

mylo

Im trying to use both vb-1 or novation bass-station, and even after fiddling and fiddling, twisting all sorts of knobs and  looking at all pre-sets, I can only get these dirty sounding bass the closest one I found was the sequenz bass from vb1, after a bit of messing around, which is the more ´tight´ one of the presets....

is there some effect that helps in doing the basslines? maybe something to make it more ´carved´ or powerful  (sorry for the subjective words, but thats the best I can say)...

thanks

211777[/snapback]

if u're looking for that clean punchy full-on bass it's all about eqing the hell out of vb-1 :)

About GMS.

I have heard that they use VB1 a lot, and it sure sounded like it last time I heard a track from them (I'm glad to say that was a while ago though :) )

GMS and Skazi dont use so much software even though its getting better they have so many synths that they can take a swin im

The Nordleads are gr8 for basses and so is the virus series skazi uses the nordlead to create his basslines, there are many gr8 synths availible for it allthough the problem is to create em for example Roland Juno 106 a killer synth old but good enough for gms to make their basslines

a problem that is often underestimated when basses tend to sound "dirty" is that the velocity-values are too high....

supernova oder my MAM-MB33(i looove it ) produce this effect @ velocity values > 100...

215275[/snapback]

that is very true! the sh-101 and virus makes some pretty awesome basses too :)