Getting started with some software

A similar topic has probably been posted before. Anyway, I want to get started with trying to produce some psytrance and I would like some suggestions on some decent software I could get for my computer. Tutorials to this software would also be nice.

I also wonder if you think it's possible to produce "professional" psytrance tracks solely by using computer software, not involving any hardware syntherzisers or if hardware syntherzisers are essential in producing "real psytrance". Do you know of any artist who only uses computer software?

Thanks, Zewu.

hey!

im just starting to play a bit with music softwares too, so there will be other people with more ´pro´ opinion, but what I can say:

fruity loops seems to be the easiest program to start...

for a full and very big range of possibilities, the combination would be Cubase (basically the sequencer) and Reaktor (to build soft synths, etc)...

as for artists that use only synth, im pretty sure there are but I dont know any names.. oh, I do know one name, but it´s more dub/ambient music: Bluetech.. and his music is very good!

Im sure there are things that hardwares are good for, but until you get to a level where you actually really need it, I think its quite some time (years?) of fiddling and playing with software...

lets see what others have to say =)

hey!

im just starting to play a bit with music softwares too, so there will be other people with more ´pro´ opinion, but what I can say:

fruity loops seems to be the easiest program to start...

for a full and very big range of possibilities, the combination would be Cubase (basically the sequencer) and Reaktor (to build soft synths, etc)...

as for artists that use only synth, im pretty sure there are but I dont know any names.. oh, I do know one name, but it´s more dub/ambient music: Bluetech.. and his music is very good!

Im sure there are things that hardwares are good for, but until you get to a level where you actually really need it, I think its quite some time (years?) of fiddling and playing with software...

lets see what others have to say =)

211761[/snapback]

Allthough I have not used FLStudio that much, I have to say that I think this is not the best choise of SoftStudio to learn with. I think that Reason would be the best way to learn how synths work, and also has a very good manual for reference.

Reasons Sequencer also looks very much like Cubase's (surely for a "reason") and is good preparation for if you one day might want to go "pro stylee". I love the Subtractor and the Malstrom in Reason, they are very good synths, and you can get very nice sounds out of them.

Besides that you have the "3" samplers in Reason, which makes it a very powerful package as well. You have the loop player DrRex, which plays back ReCycle files (has many options), you have the NN19 which is an AKAI like sampler, and you have the NNXT which is the more PRO sampler.

Well, this is my personal opinion, and would be my choice to recommend to someone. I am however no PRO, but I am an experienced computer musician :)

By the way, NNXT and NN19 are very good for strings :)

as u can see the most easiest way to produce quality music is to try everything and at the end to chose what software would you use. offcourse, u can use everything what u have, but after some time u will see that all thing u need is one nice sequencer, bunch of vst/dx plugins and also suitable number of samples. FruityLoops is nice software easy to understand and u can do everything on it... also u have to know that analog hardware is not necessary if u dont have it... the main goal is to create something u want, and you have to choose the easiest way...

patience and will... those are the keys for everything and especialy for home production...

best regards...

Fruity loops is king ! It has an amazing sound and is very versatile.

Ableton live is rated for live use but I aint used it much.

Protools is the professional standard multitrack but youll need to buy an mbox soundcard to get it if you use xp , a worthwhile investment if you want to go pro ! £279 :

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/rev...s/digi/Mbox.jpg

acid pro4 is a cheap and good alternative if you dont want to fork out for an mbox.

Cubase is the king of midi and has versatile audio editing facilities

Cool edit pro (now called adobe audition) is good because it uses a 32bit float

Waves plugins are excellent as are Native instruments

Max msp and reactor are good if you want to get nerdy and create your own programs.

Supercollider is the ultimate for meganerds but is a script based program but worth getting into for the long term, though its hard work and make take years to master.

Basically if youve got a good soundcard (ie 24 bit 96 khz sample rate) and a good mic you can sample enviromental sounds and introduce not computer elements into the digital realm and get some interesting results, thus widening your sound sources to just about anything, a worthwhile investment if youre going to really get into it.

Basically hardware synths are just a little computers in boxes so if you get a midi controller keyboard like this one :

http://www.scitscat.net/catalog/images/edirolpcr30.gif

you can get some equally good effects. a pair of monitor speakers is also a worthwhile investment.

Igood luck !

Reason is a great way to start. Although it is not as open ended as most people would expect. ie. you can't just drop a wav into the sequencer, cant add new effect modules/3rd party synths.

However. It'll teach you a lot about studio hardware, midi, effects etc. And it's all-in-one standalone.

Recently I turned my back on Reason and headed for the greener pastures of CubaseSX!

I found that Reason has trouble with timing. I exported some loops and found they just were'nt that exactly matched. A mate of mine ( Chesh from Hydrophonic/NANO ) said they also had a problem when I guy bought in some seperates for a track he made in Reason. And seeing as though Trance is all about timing and keeping the groove constant use Reason as a learning toy, but Cubase/Logic if your "playing" starts to get serious!

Cubase Rocks hard!

This program is as simple or complicated as your music. The vst platform also delievers a much cleaner "pro" sound and it has been tried and trusted by the biggest names in PSY.

And get a midi keyboard quick!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Boom!

mylo