shpongle & samples.

gusc

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you noticed the saxophone-trumpet-electroniceffekt-part in dorset perception at 6:00-6:24?

its a very good part in the song. i would love to know how and in what way simon has programmed/recorded this. (i know its not him playing, but i want to know if its some friend of his that recorded it together with him, or if he has ripped it)

and these questions pomps out in my head about all the rest of shpongle brilliant parts.

im in like a shpongle-paranoia. i want the truth.

Supposedly the faster part in My head feels like a frisbee (the part with the horns) is from some european (I can't remember which country anymore, but I think it was northern Europe) morning show..

I guess I don't care anymore about these things although when I first heard about it, I was a little dissapointed...

Supposedly the faster part in My head feels like a frisbee (the part with the horns) is from some european (I can't remember which country anymore, but I think it was northern Europe) morning show..

I guess I don't care anymore about these things although when I first heard about it, I was a little dissapointed...

211802[/snapback]

could you please find out which european morning show?

Come on now. It's not Simon's fault that some of you are so litteraly unaware of how this scenes music is done ;)

Sampling is the foundation stone of this scene. It's been used since early dawn of electronic music and especially in ambient/downbeat these days !

And to become so frustrated because you realize that he used samples is a bit over the top...don't you think. For gods sake I thought people were a bit more mature than the usual "over the top" groupies in the established music business ;)

The guy is talented - end of story! But a genious and a god? nahhh people that's a bit too far stretched.

So continue enjoy his music. No matter if it got samples or not it's still good music.

The guy is talented - end of story!  But a genious and a god?  nahhh people that's a bit too far stretched.

211842[/snapback]

I'd actually say is a genius... a modern-day mozart. No god though. :rolleyes:

I'd actually say is a genius... a modern-day mozart. No god though.  :rolleyes:

211848[/snapback]

Come on now... Mozart wrote whole classical compositions... I don't know if you know anything or much at all about writing classical compositions for big orchestras but it's a very complex thing which takes a whole lot more than finding some samples, cut them up and find useful effects to cover up where those samples came from. Motzart composed straight out of his head down on paper for huge orchestras! A talent we haven't seen for decades now!

So to compare Simon as a moden version of Motzart is absolutely crazy! Yes Simon is very talented but the facts remain that he recycle other people's creations and blend it with his own.. That does not make him a genious!

And I know for a fact that Simon would not like to be compared to Motzart. he have too much respect for Motzart's geniality!

I agree. The only thing that can eventually grow weaker is the picture you have of an artist and his skills. The music stays the same. It's both naive and stupid to not think samples are being used in this kind of music, where it is room for a lot of melodies and sounds. Enjoy the music, and for god's sake let's hope shpongle 3 won't do as our Israelic mushrooms and screw up.

And I know for a fact that Simon would not like to be compared to Motzart. he have too much respect for Motzart's geniality!

211877[/snapback]

But nontheless the music he makes is much more rich and complex than any classical track. Remember, complexity is a subjective matter, and don't flame me for this.

But nontheless the music he makes is much more rich and complex than any classical track. Remember, complexity is a subjective matter, and don't flame me for this.

212007[/snapback]

I think I will flame you, actually...how much "classical" have you heard? Are you referring precisely to that era or to all of so-called "classical" music? Regardless...

First of all the word "rich" is wholly subjective...I can't argue that as I don't even know what it means...as for complexity? Well...melodically, the complexity of most classical pieces far surpasses that of any Shpongle song I've heard (all of them). Harmonically, just the same...rythmically? Yea, you guessed it...

Textures? Shpongle gets some foothold there but by no means can they really be compared if one is to be honest..."depth"? Shpongle certainly has lots more hidden things going on...of course, it depends...shostakovich or mahler have tons more going on, depending on one's perspective...they just lack little fart noises and breathing noises and small giggles, etc etc......

Once again I must state: there has been and never will be another Mozart, and this comes from someone who isn't particularly fond of Mozart (though, not too familar, either, given his body of work...I must say, though, I'd take Requiem over a Shpongle album any day :))

So yea, anyway, you're talking out of your ass. :rolleyes:

So yea, anyway, you're talking out of your ass.  :rolleyes:

212011[/snapback]

I am talking FACT damnit. Shpongle actually touches my consciousness. Mozart, or any composer from that era, doesn't. Shpongle evokes emotions. Only a few accomplish even this. Thus, to me, what I said is true.

Damnit, even tribal trumming (the first kind of music) makes me more emotional than classic.

I am talking FACT damnit. Shpongle actually touches my consciousness. Mozart, or any composer from that era, doesn't. Shpongle evokes emotions. Only a few accomplish even this. Thus, to me, what I said is true.

Damnit, even tribal trumming (the first kind of music) makes me more emotional than classic.

212012[/snapback]

Musics effect upon you has nothing to do with it's complexity...and might I also suggest trying to listen to more of it? Have you ever, for instance, heard one of Brahms piano trios? Saint-Saens Piano Concertos? Mahlers symphonies...etc etc...I have a feeling you dont know much "classical" music to be much of a judge.

You want psychedelic? Listen to Bartok's later string quartets... :P

Musics effect upon you has nothing to do with it's complexity...and might I also suggest trying to listen to more of it? Have you ever, for instance, heard one of Brahms piano trios? Saint-Saens Piano Concertos? Mahlers symphonies...etc etc...I have a feeling you dont know much "classical" music to be much of a judge.

You want psychedelic? Listen to Bartok's later string quartets... :P

212014[/snapback]

Sigh. It doesn't matter how much you list classical tracks. From what I deem complex and emotional, Shpongle tops the list.

Sigh. It doesn't matter how much you list classical tracks. From what I deem complex and emotional, Shpongle tops the list.

212017[/snapback]

What a pitty.

What a pitty.

212019[/snapback]

No, in fact it isn't. I've never understood why people keep defending classical. Because it's old?

... No, don't answer: I've had this discussion before, and it was long and boring as hell. Let's return to the topic.

So, why do you think Simon uses the samples?

I really tried, but I never heard any melodies in Simons stuff that strikes me as genius.

I remeber several tracks have IMO almost annyingly bad melodies. Some how trying to sound catchy and poppy but failing.

Much of the Hallucinogen is production wise actually is quite bad as well.

If you isten to tip yellow compilation for example you have to admit that Shamanix does not strike you as well produced compared to the rest of the tracks.

And Spongle is slick, but just not very interesting in my ears.

Everything balanced well and clear sound but nothing sticking out and therefore I'm bored after listening to half a track.

Without being a classical fanatic, I do remember that I sometimes when hearing Mozart the melodies did grab me as genius.

He's not at all my favorite classical composer though.

To compare classic music to trance or ambient is off course impossible.

But people knew their craft better when it comes to handycraft and art in the olden days.

Everyone who look at a van Eyck or Hironimus Bosh just have to admit that they knew how to paint very well.

The same is simply not true for modern artists like Andy Warhol or Jackson Pollock.

Their work might speak more to some people today, but you just can't compare their skills to painters a few 100 yrs ago.

genius in melodic lines were (!) the maestros pleiadians!! their complex melodies is far superior of simon's ! Simon is more of an pioneer into experimenting with new stuffs/blending styles, awesome electronic engineering, etc. genius!

genius in melodic lines were (!) the maestros pleiadians!! their complex melodies is far superior of simon's ! Simon is more of an pioneer into experimenting with new stuffs/blending styles, awesome electronic engineering,  etc. genius!

212083[/snapback]

Were? You mean they aren't anymore, on Family Of Light?

As for me, Si is superior to Pleiadians in terms of melodies...

I really tried, but I never heard any melodies in Simons stuff that strikes me as genius.

212049[/snapback]

Here's a few: LSD, Behind Closed Eyelids, Trancespotter, The Herb Garden, Angelic Particles.

Here's a few: LSD, Behind Closed Eyelids, Trancespotter, The Herb Garden, Angelic Particles.

It's not that I have not heard his music.

But really, you can't say that the Hallucinogen stuff is that great melodically.

And the melodies in much of the spongle tracks come across to me as naive and pretentious at the same time.

Thats not a very sucessful combination in my taste, if fact it's almost painful to listen to some spongle for me.

It's not that I have not heard his music.

But really, you can't say that the Hallucinogen stuff is that great melodically.

And the melodies in much of the spongle tracks come across to me as naive and pretentious at the same time.

Thats not a very sucessful combination in my taste, if fact it's almost painful to listen to some spongle for me.

212116[/snapback]

Pretentious! And you CAN listen to classical? There is nothing more pompous and pretentious than classical!

I guess we have different tastes... but I can't imagine how anybody could find listening to Shpongle "painful". More like "blissful".