shpongle & samples.

gusc

can someone please clear out the thing about long finished "samples" and introductions that simon was supposed to have used in their song-material..?

how can this be true, if it is true?

i just cant see anything like that coming out from raja ram and simon posford.

no beatnik would accept anything like that!

what is true and what is not true?

could the samples have been bought from shpongle by a company afterwards?

??

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn.

i just listened to paco de lucia - Introduccion Y Pantomima.

simon has ripped like one minute of this song into "around the world in a tea daze".

small speaking: this is hurting me bad.. BAD:.

GAKHGSDASKLSJAd..

damn.

i just listened to paco de lucia - Introduccion Y Pantomima.

simon has ripped like one minute of this song into "around the world in a tea daze".

small speaking: this is hurting me bad.. BAD:.

GAKHGSDASKLSJAd..

210999[/snapback]

I have no idea what that track is, but I'm guessing classical music? There's nothing wrong with ripping classical off, just as there is nothing wrong with using samples if you do it well.

I have no idea what that track is, but I'm guessing classical music? There's nothing wrong with ripping classical off, just as there is nothing wrong with using samples if you do it well.

211029[/snapback]

Paco De Lucia is one of the worlds MOST famous Flamenco Guitarrists, and it would be VERY wrong to rip his music straight over, maybe they asked before they did it? :)

Makes me wonder if Dorset Perception is also "ripped" from him. I have a lot of Paco De Lucia, but I do not recognize it, and I must admit I didnt hear it until it was pointed out to me. (its been a long time since I listened to my de Lucia collection, I have a lot by the way..) :)

Now, I would LOVE to email Simon to get clarification on this one.

http://files.spectrasonics.net/mp3/VP_World_demo.mp3

spectrasonics - vocal planet sample disk

it certainly pre dates shpongle

211009[/snapback]

If its on a sample cd, I dont blame anyone, its the way you do it with a sample cd not that you are using them. They ARE royalty free for the ones that purchase them.

I use a LOT of samples in my tracks.

Makes me wonder if Dorset Perception is also "ripped" from him. I have a lot of Paco De Lucia, but I do not recognize it, and I must admit I didnt hear it until it was pointed out to me. (its been a long time since I listened to my de Lucia collection, I have a lot by the way..) :)

Now, I would LOVE to email Simon to get clarification on this one.

211034[/snapback]

dorset perception has the drums ripped from a sample cd!

c'mon guys did u believe he was a god? well even for a human being,

he is using the samples very well!! more intelligently than u could ever have!

and he makes it fit 100% ... he made it so you really believed it was 100% made by him! thatz a good effort from his side! he can feel where the samples fit! most people in psy music these days just put in a sample and it sounds horrible and does not fit at all.. i remember asura using the same arabic vocals as shpongle in a tune, but simon used the sample 10000000000 times better to fit with his track!

The thing is, I think Simon uses those samples to pay homage to his influences. He could well hire artists to make new samples with him or even make them himself, but he doesn't.

The thing is, I think Simon uses those samples to pay homage to his influences. He could well hire artists to make new samples with him or even make them himself, but he doesn't.

211063[/snapback]

do you think he is a millionare? u think shpongle makes him rich? like someone else said: if more people buy his albums instead of leeching mp3s he someday may be able to record his own tibetan choir.. as for now i think he doesnt have the money or time for traveling all over the globe to record samples and enjoy smoking dmt with the local tribe + making shpongle 4 and play lots of live gigs @ the same time. indeed he have already hired his own singers and orchestra that he has worked with in tales of the inexpressible. he have also been playing guitarr on some of his tracks! perhaps that is "Killing the magic" for you also.. i see u want to hear simon sing for himself? mozart was also a big fraud.. he didnt play any of the instrument himself did he? he was just an arranger... so is simon!

i doubt they asked permission from paco de lucia .. anyway imo its ok to use sample cds etc if they are not like the main point in track like in shpongle dmt they have added just few drums on top of the sample.. it just kills the magic for me

211066[/snapback]

is the few seconds intro in dmt the "main point" of this track for you? ....

or do you think he stole the dmt voice also?

perhaps u should LISTEN CAREFULLY AGAIN to the spectrasonics sample, and then again listen to dmt and u realize he ahve even manipulated the sample.. there is not just a "simple drums" over a sample. perhaps you have poor ears that cant hear the subtle production of simon cuz ur to busy thinking that he have used a spectrasonic sample cd? OMG !! they are sample cd's!! what do you use them for? they are no good whatsoever for themselves! however if he didnt make it fit into his music i could agree that it would kill the magic.. but it fits so perfectly i cant complain at all!! i just enjoy it!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA why you get so mad suddenly ?  .. i said it kills the magic for me maybe not for anybody else but i cant help it .. if you like it then you do its not my business

211073[/snapback]

i am not mad.. it is only your projection! :P i think its funny why most people think shpongle is rip-off suddenly since the spreading of the spectrasonics samples.

i heard it years ago, still i dont care if they use sample cds. ;) i know they use it in a good way so i will never be dissapointed.

good point, Moai.

i wish i never heard of these samples. it kills some of my shpongle-magic to. not all of it, but a bit.

if simon has made the electronic mixing-solo in 'behind closed eyelids' and 'once upon the sea of blissful' i will forget about the samples totally, because those mixing-solo's are like nothing else. it just blows into my blood. i dont need drugs. ive never tried them. raja and simon beats enough for me.

dorset perception has the drums ripped from a sample cd!

c'mon guys did u believe he was a god? well even for a human being,

he is using the samples very well!! more intelligently than u could ever have!

and he makes it fit 100% ... he made it so you really believed it was 100% made by him! thatz a good effort from his side! he can feel where the samples fit! most people in psy music these days just put in a sample and it sounds horrible and does not fit at all.. i remember asura using the same arabic vocals as shpongle in a tune, but simon used the sample 10000000000 times better to fit with his track!

211058[/snapback]

Who said that I thought it was all him? Besides that, I am talking about the guitarrs, which I never even thought it was him in the first place.

And ummmm how can you tell if he uses sounds way more intelligent than any of us here on the board? He might be a genius, but other people DO have skills you know. Just because this is a webboard, doesnt mean that there are no skilled people around here....

211063[/snapback]

He "hired" Raja to do the Flutes didnt he? And isnt his girlfriend also "hired" to sing? ;)

do you think he is a millionare? u think shpongle makes him rich? like someone else said: if more people buy his albums instead of leeching mp3s he someday may be able to record his own tibetan choir.. as for now i think he doesnt have the money or time for traveling all over the globe to record samples and enjoy smoking dmt with the local tribe + making shpongle 4 and play lots of live gigs @ the same time. indeed he have already hired his own singers and orchestra that he has worked with in tales of the inexpressible. he have also been playing guitarr on some of his tracks! perhaps that is "Killing the magic" for you also.. i see u want to hear simon sing for himself? mozart was also a big fraud.. he didnt play any of the instrument himself did he? he was just an arranger... so is simon!

211069[/snapback]

But we are not talking about just some samples here that he arranged. We are talking about ripping OTHER peoples hard made music. You know who Paco De Lucia is?

well if i got it right there is a real guitar player also in shpongle who played in example dorset perception.. but he should have used him in other tracks too instead tha paco de lucia thing.. imo

211164[/snapback]

No the Paco de Lucia sample is obvious, I have the track right here, and I listened very careful to it, its EXACTLY the same.... I dont know about the other track though....

If its on a sample cd, I dont blame anyone, its the way you do it with a sample cd not that you are using them. They ARE royalty free for the ones that purchase them.

I use a LOT of samples in my tracks.

211036[/snapback]

The turkish samples in Around the World in a tea daze, DO are taken from Voices of Istanbul. We have it and used it in several tracks, which most famous is Lost Eden.

Many other tracks of "Tales" uses samples from various samples cd.

i remember asura using the same arabic vocals as shpongle in a tune, but simon used the sample 10000000000 times better to fit with his track!

211058[/snapback]

Sorry Moai but you can't say rubbishes with impunity.

I can't stand this snobbery around Shpongle, it's really boring... :angry:

And I know about what I am talking: the turkish (an not arabic) vocals used in "around the world in a tea daze" has been put like this in the track, copied and pasted, taken one after the other, in Voices of Istanbul, without effort to fit with the rythms, without notable sonorous work.

I am sorry to break the legend, but the use of these samples in this track, when you know this samples CD, is simply and definitly shameful.

Asura built Lost Eden around these voices and spanish laments, and to be honest, we hadn't listened to Tales of the inexpressible yet when the album Lost Eden was launched.

We took every interesting (for us) parcel of sample, every phrase (and not whole sample) and created an order so that it'd be our track center theme, so that it'd create an autonomous melody according to a spanish crying women, and so that, without shocking the ear, it could fit the rhythm, orchestration and soul of the track exactly.

You can say you dislike or hate our work, no problem, but don't speak about the work of a track you do not even know the title (re listen to it before), and don't say Shpongle worked a lot to put those samples in this track in the future. It's absolutly false.

Buy Voices of Istanbul and you will see I am right. There is a single voices bank in this samples cd (other samples are rhythms), and Shpongle absolutly plundered it.

I am not against uses of Sample Cds, and particularly this one, of course, we are using them a lot. Moreover, I have to say that I respect Shpongle, even if I prefer Celtic Cross from Simon.

But the fantastic (hoooooooo) and awesome (haaaaaaaaaaa) use of Sample by Shpongle is really a trickery (he??????) concerning this track.

It's for a long time I wanted to say that, well, cool, It's done, I feel really lighter :D