Reaktor 4 help

ok so, I wanted to check out if I can make some music... I just got reaktor 4, and I have no idea where to begin.. do you guys know any good tutorials, or can give me some tips?

Is reaktor a self-sufficient program? I mean, could I, theoretically make all the steps of a track with it?

any tips you can give on reaktor, or name of good vsti s?

how do I get a good sounding bass and beat?

Im a reeeeaaal newbie, so please be patient... =)

Oi Sherlock,

I dont know much about Reaktor, since I only have used it a couple of times, and I just get confused by it. It also crashed on me several times using it with Cubase so I gave up (back then my computer was crap though, I should give it another go).

Go here for other nice VSTi's

http://www.kvraudio.com/

There is a LOT of stuff there to read and to download (Patches and so on). Also do a google search on Reaktor and Tutorial, that will find you a tutorial that was made by the people over at Computer Music/Future Music.

I think I posted the link before here on PsyNews, so you might wanna dig through the old posts (1 month ago I think). I think if you search for Reaktor here at psynews, you will find this topic.

Hope I helped a little bit atleast :)

Reaktor is mostly synthesizer... it's not ment to build a whole track in it. You can use it as VSTi in Cubase and similar sequencers. I'd say best program to start with is definitely Reason... it has everything you need and it's easy to learn... and it's very stable.

so reaktor cannot be used as a sequencer, only as a vst?

is cubase hard to use? since I already have reaktor, which other sequencer program would it be best for me to use together with it?

hey, thanks nemo!

so reaktor cannot be used as a sequencer, only as a vst?

is cubase hard to use? since I already have reaktor, which other sequencer program would it be best for me to use together with it?

210944[/snapback]

You can build your own synths in Reaktor... there are also some very simple (step)sequencers whitch you can use to trigger samples (WAVs & Aiffs) or Reaktors own synths... you can put them thru filters, dalays, flangers etc... but it really is not the program to use to make whole tracks. When you are just starting out I'd say Cubase+Reaktor is the hardest combination you have chose.

Best programs with Reaktor are Cubase and Logic (you need Mac with Logic).

You can build your own synths in Reaktor... there are also some very simple (step)sequencers whitch you can use to trigger samples (WAVs & Aiffs) or Reaktors own synths... you can put them thru filters, dalays, flangers etc... but it really is not the program to use to make whole tracks. When you are just starting out I'd say Cubase+Reaktor is the hardest combination you have chose.

Best programs with Reaktor are Cubase and Logic (you need Mac with Logic).

210949[/snapback]

Or you can use Sonar. Logic is available for PC but its outdated and not recomended if you need some of the new features.

I heard that Ableton Live 4 also is very good, but I havent fully tested it yet (Its practially still in the box and is waiting for a 2nd install).

Well, if you have more questions Sherlock, then let us know :)

ok thanks a lot guys...

I will try some things out, and I post my next question sometime (be sure that there will be more questions, this stuff is haaaaaaard =)

you theoretically could make a whole track in reaktor. There is alot more than just simple step sequencers for it, a few people have made entire piano roll sequencers and things to record knob automation right in reaktor.

However, you would get much farther useing its synths inside a sequener as a vst.

this has a really simple sequencer in it but its controlling the waves in a wavetable, once you figure out how the stuff works it might be usefull

http://www.sidetrakkt.com/reaktor/psyaktor.ens

i would highly recommend after reading some tutorials to just try to disect what the classic 2 osc VCO synth is doing in the R4 library under synths - simple.

Concentrate on understanding how note pitch goes with macro P inputs, gate with G and then clocks in general. Dont get to bogged down in learning what each module does. Ive been useing it for 6 years now, i feel pretty confident in building whatever i can think of by glueing parts togather and still couldnt tell you how half the modules actually work.

thanks slyman... I hope I can ever understand all you said hahaha =)

no but really.. Im messing with things here, and I hope in 1 week Im a professional musician already (lol, kidding)..

ok stupid question (do you mind if its a cubase one? Im trying to use both now.. really hard hehe)... in vstis like novation bass station, there is a keyboard (piano) on the screen.. but it sucks to have to go with the mouse clicking on the keys.. can I do something that I use my own keyboard somehow to click on the keys, like, making a virtual piano on my keyboard so that I can somehow play as if I was playing the real thing?

does it make sense?

maaaaaaan, this vierring sequenced synth is so awesome! perfect for the housy and dubby stuff I want to make

Still no idea on how to do nice basslines...

(btw, my question upthere still remains... I am having hard trouble making melodies by using the mouse.. cant I use my computer keyboard and somehow link the keys to specific keys in the virtual piano keys on the synths? Im sorry if this sounds dumb, Im just really a newbie)

You should buy some midi-keyboard... they are quite cheap. Not sure if you can control any VSTis from your keyboard... but at least some years ago I tried it with Reaktor (not as VSTi) and it worked... but that way there is no velocity sensitivity... only in midi-keyboards.

i always just make patches/program reaktor in stand alone and then load them up as vsti to make music.

if you open reaktor in standalone and have the ensemble highlighted on the screen, type on the keyboard...the computer keyboard is mapped like a virtual midi controller but i believe that gets taken over by the sequencer when you load the vst.

thanks a lot!

I am having trouble importing the vierring (sequenced synth) to cubase...

From what I understand, you make a midi track, and you choose on the selector for the in/out to be the reaktor vst... now, as it seems, either you play the notes while you record it, or you open the key editor and ´draw´ the keys there, right?

but neither of these work for vierring.. maybe because its a sequenced synth.. so how do I insert the sequenced synth and get some sound out of it inside the cubase sequencer ? (and I want to use one of the pre-set sequences inside the synth, and not have to type it note by note on the editor, if possible)

thanks a lot, and I hope Im not being annoying with these questions hehe =)

Maybe the play button that starts the Reaktor sequencer can be controlled by control data in Cubase. Try to right-click on top of that button that triggers the Reaktor sequencer on/off and see if it's assigned to any control... then draw some controller data in Cubase.

thanks for the help... but I couldnt do it.. There is no right clicking in the ´reaktor starting´ sequencer, as right clicking does the same as left clicking there (If I understood you correctly, open the reaktor synth inside cubase, and from there, trying to right click the button to start the sequencer, right?).. Maybe I dont understand this ´controller data´ concept yet, and thats the problem.. thanks for the help though

any other try... somebody?

if anybody can make any sounds come out of a reaktor sequenced synth inside Cubase, then please tell me how =)

Now I tried to start Reaktors sequencer in Cubase and it was as simple as clicking the play button of Cubase. But I don't know how to start/stop it during the play. Cubase+Reaktor has never been the most stable combination... mayby you have some bugs. I tried this with version 4.0.3

hey psyangel, thanks, but my prob is in the cubase itself not reaktor.. thanks anyway =)

hey shpongled.. tell me something.. what did you do? Can you tell me also which synth you used, so that I do exactly the same thing?

I mean, you put to add a vsti, and choose ´reaktorVST´.. then you went in the little ´browser´ and choose ´library, instruments´ and then chose your synth.. then the little ensemble panel appeared.. now, did you do something in the cubase sequencer too? like choose a chanel, and putting the out/in as the reaktorvst? did you have to draw the notes on the ´midi key editor´? and then you just put play, both on cubase and on the reaktor window inside cubase, and some sounds came out?

hey shpongled.. tell me something.. what did you do? Can you tell me also which synth you used, so that I do exactly the same thing?

Synths - Sequenced / Vierring.ens

I mean, you put to add a vsti, and choose ´reaktorVST´

It seems that I have two installations of Reaktor... I can choose between 'ReaktorVST' and 'Reaktor 4'...... ReaktorVST is older version 4.0.0 and the other one is 4.0.3........ and I can't get any sounds out of the older one.

.. then you went in the little ´browser´ and choose ´library, instruments´ and then chose your synth.. then the little ensemble panel appeared.. now, did you do something in the cubase sequencer too? like choose a chanel, and putting the out/in as the reaktorvst?

Yes. Just like that.

did you have to draw the notes on the ´midi key editor´? 

No. Just press play from Cubase. Notice that I'm now talking about Reaktor sequencer-synth.... when it's normal synth without sequencer then you have to draw or record midi notes in Key Editor.

and then you just put play, both on cubase and on the reaktor window inside cubase, and some sounds came out?

213541[/snapback]

No... not from both... just in Cubase and the sequencer starts in Reaktor.

note: I had to press on/off button few times from Reaktor to get it to work. It's next to that CPU% thingie. But then again.. I don't have the real thing... :ph34r:

I guess my problem is the version of the reaktor then, because mine appears the reaktorVST, and not 4 ... Ill try upgrading, I guess that will solve the problem

thanks a lot sphongled!