The "Psygressive" thing

Guest L25

I was wondering if anyone here is becoming more familiar with the term "psygressive" nowadays?

I believe it is to designated progressive acts with a lot of psychedelic touch ( ???) or an "agressive" kind of progress psytrance. Eithei way, i liked it, i mean, the acts who can fill in this genre is for example, Sensient and Hypersonic Whomen, and both are great IMO. And both also use the term "psygressive" to define their style.

So what do you think about this whole thing? And what others act do you think it is also psygressive?

All i can say now is that i liked a lot ;)

hey kiph.. im not sure if thats how people really use this term...

from what it seemed to me, psygressive is not the same as progressive trance in the normal psychedelic scene... like, for example, if progressive trance is antix, then psygressive would be something like latest genetic spin (as opposed to early genetic spin, which was more to the normal progressive side)

but whatever, genres are always a matter of discussion...

(ps.. I preffer normal progressive than psygressive)

yeah cobz, I agree with blt... I would also consider it psygressive..

I dont know shakta though..

Sound engineers are made to second artists, not make their own stuff...

210388[/snapback]

heh?

sorry if I sound harsh but for me "progressive" or "psygressive" is just a synonym for "lack of creative talent" :)

210388[/snapback]

Yeah well, that´s your opinion, live with it!! For me it´s certainly not like that at all!!

sorry if I sound harsh but for me "progressive" or "psygressive" is just a synonym for "lack of creative talent" :)

210388[/snapback]

Ok so I am just a sound engineer now? Amazing how much bull people can write here ;)

I know many very talented musicians NOT sound engineers that make progressive + downbeat / ambient (as i do too) ! How come we have a "lack of creative talent" when it come to making progressive trance/house, which btw is way more similar to old tribal trance and some goa/psy than these days Full ON. Why dont we then have a "lack of creative talent" when we make downbeat/ambient? Enlighten me please. But do it convinsing or I might just end up assuming your yet another Full ON killaaaaar lover that got brainwashed by the "kilaaar clan" and got stuck in a timewarp ;)

I got nothing against the fact that people have different taste but to say that we "lack of creative talent" is over the top and an insult to maný fine innovative and creative musicians!

210388[/snapback]

Can you explain why Lemmi? Are you sure you dont like anything of progress psytrance?

Saying there is no "creative talent" in a genre that only defines the intention to create music that will make progressive changes from somewhere . It can be fast, slow, full or whatever, it is just music in it is limits and with a lot of room for talent and specially creativity.

210388[/snapback]

Can you explain why Lemmi? Are you sure you dont like anything of progress psytrance?

Saying there is no "creative talent" in a genre that only defines the intention to create music that will make progressive changes from somewhere . It can be fast, slow, full or whatever, it is just music in it is limits and with a lot of room for talent and specially creativity.

So i dont think of what you said has a meaning

But, thats just me ;)

210388[/snapback]

can't it be that he was just referring to the use of the term 'progressive' or 'psygressive' and not too the quality of the music... that they call progressive music now psygressive music like 'profane' says.. :unsure: ... that it is a lack of creative talent to come up with a name 'psygressive' for a music style that already exist ???

just thinking... don't know <_<

But do it convinsing or I might just end up assuming your yet another Full ON killaaaaar lover that got brainwashed by the "kilaaar clan" and got stuck in a timewarp

well you're partially right... I'm stuck in a timewarp and still think it's 1996 ;)

anyway, I knew that my statement would sound too harsh for some (that's why I said "sorry if I sound harsh" ;) ). And of course, it's only my opinion, I'm not God or anything (not even the dictator of some small 3rd world country :( ) so I guess not much people will change their opinions simply because I say what I think out loud.

Anyway, for the "lack of creative talent", I've already said it (actually I was already saying it with minimal years ago): with progressive I don't get the impression of listening to a track that was made by an artist who had a creative vision and got in the studio to express it. For me, with progressive it's just a sound engineer that fiddled around with some sounds and FX until he got some interesting sounds... but there's no "soul", no "leading idea" in the track, it's just some sounds thrown on top of a 4/4 kick. Now I hear you say "but it's the same thing with full-on!", and you're right for most of the stuff (not very keen on full-on either), but at least there's a melody here and there, something that catches your attention. Like a friend of mine would say: with oldschool you could listen to a track, press "pause" on your CD player and you could mentally carry on the tune. With progressive, it might sound good but if you press "pause" then it's all gone, you can't even recall what you were hearing a few seconds after.

By this I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who listens/ produces progressive, that's just the way it feels to my ears.

can't it be that he was just referring to the use of the term 'progressive' or 'psygressive' and not too the quality of the music... that they call progressive music now psygressive music  like 'profane' says..  :unsure: ... that it is a lack of creative talent to come up with a name 'psygressive' for a music style that already exist ???

210434[/snapback]

My friend and I had a discussion very similar to this notion. There was a time in electronic music when there were no subgenre definitions. There was no jungle, no happy hardcore, etc...it was all just music, and as a result the diversity was something to look forward to and appreciate as new artists had new ideas. The tendency for people to fit styles of music into subcategories is, in my opinion, a way of allowing the mind to take a simplified (frankly limited) perspective. Some artists add strongly to the mythos of full-on psychedelia Vs. progressive psychedelia...realisitically, these two polarities are simply two aspects of what psytrance could be, if they were to merge.

Progressive psy fosters elaboration and subtlety, while fullon goes for spine-chills and ecstatic moments.

The boundary between the opposing psy styles is INSIGNIFIGANT due to the vast majority of psy out there not fitting into the simple definition of 'it is this/that'.

Any redundancy issue with respect to style that an artist has is their own issue. Some people would like to refine that which they have, while others are more interested in exploration.

-n

can't it be that he was just referring to the use of the term 'progressive' or 'psygressive' and not too the quality of the music... that they call progressive music now psygressive music  like 'profane' says..  :unsure: ... that it is a lack of creative talent to come up with a name 'psygressive' for a music style that already exist ???

just thinking... don't know  <_<

210434[/snapback]

well reading lemmis post I wasn't right at all about his statement... always looking for the best in persons (not to be taken that serious in this situation ;) )... but I 1000% not agree with your statement lemmi... progressive can be so deep & intilligent... I admit that all minimal before 2000 really sucks but when artist like atmoz, auricalar, altom (hologram album), haldolium, shiva chandra, beat bizarre, matenda, reefer decree, s- range and many more released albums beginning the year 2000 & further my psychedelic world exploded... :wacko:

peace :)

My friend and I had a discussion very similar to this notion. There was a time in electronic music when there were no subgenre definitions. There was no jungle, no happy hardcore, etc...it was all just music, and as a result the diversity was something to look forward to and appreciate as new artists had new ideas. The tendency for people to fit styles of music into subcategories is, in my opinion, a way of allowing the mind to take a simplified (frankly limited) perspective.

100% agree!!! I heard some very old sets (around 1993 - 94) by some famous DJs (Carl Cox and some others that I don't remember right now) played at Ibiza and maaan the diversity was incredible!! The tracks ranged from commercial acid house to jungle to hardcore and even some goatrance, all this in ONE set!! Such diversity would be unthinkable our days :( I wonder why anything was good back then and now music played at a venue by a DJ must be a specific sub-subcateogry of a defined genre... I mean, who made these rules anyway??

I would definitely add Vaishiyas, they releaseed a great album on Jum Jam rec which imo is highly psychedelic and progressive at the same time. There´s loads more... maybe I´ll add some later

210281[/snapback]

Hey lumpi, do you mean the 2002 cd "Flaxid or they release a new one?

And by the way, what others Artists/Albums do you consider it (good) psygressive?

Thanx

Yay, now the thread turned into both a "progressive vs. full on" and a "oldschool epic goatrance is da best mudic in da woooooorld new mudic sux" thread. Great.

And I still say that in my opinion "psygressive" is just a new word for progressive psytrance. Nothing more, nothing less. That being said, artists mentioned like BLT, Shakta, Tetraktys and Highpersonic Whomen all make excellent music :)

Hey lumpi, do you mean the 2002 cd "Flaxid or they release a new one?

And by the way, what others Artists/Albums do you consider it (good) psygressive?

Thanx

210728[/snapback]

Yes, "Flaxid" exactly, I love it. Apart from that I would say:

- most releases from Zenon rec and Creamcrop rec for an added techy touch

- Auricular - Audion

- FREq - Strange attractors

- Native Radio - Shiba City blues

- Nerve - No foco

- Interzone rec releases (at least the compis)

thats´s my opinion, others might say: what a complete idiot... :P

And I still say that in my opinion "psygressive" is just a new word for progressive psytrance. Nothing more, nothing less.

210760[/snapback]

Actually, I think you´re right about that.

FREq, Son Kite... All the same crap. Really don't like this kind of trance (is it even trance?), it sounds like progressive house dressed up with some psychadelic sounds... But then... I HATE PROGRESSIVE HOUSE!!! AND 99.9% OF HOUSE MUSIC!!!!

Rather hear some melodic, dark psy trance like Juno, old IM, X-Dream, Xenomorph, old Dark Soho, and the tech-trance stuff (Spirallianz, Delta)

Astral is OK but it can be too mainstream-cheesy for me at times, espeically with their new stuff... Astral's old stuff was melodic, but still a little too different to be truly 'mainstream-sounding'

And don't even start on the happy hardcore. Agh!