Help with Goa

vancbc

As you fine people know, I'm an amateur dabbler in psytrance. I'm needing some help finding some albums with a particular sort of sound. I'm still pretty new to this, but I think it's Goa.

My psytrance collection is small. I'm looking for more like the following:

Dimension 5 - Second Phaze

Pleiadians - I.F.O.

Hallucinogen - Twisted

Hallucinogen - Lone Deranger

I've tried Man With No Name - Interstate Highway, but I find it a bit monotonous. I know Astral Projection is supposed to be great. I only have Ten and Amen. I'm not too impressed with Amen. I have all but the latest release from Infected Mushroom.

I love the highly melodic works that don't have so much of a dominant bass line. I'm open to suggestions for older classics that are still available as well as newer releases. I've been reading a lot about Filteria - Sky Input, and from the samples it sounds dope. This will probably be my next purchase.

In particular, I love my Dimension 5 album.

By the way, I know it's probably an ignorant question, but for several months I've been trying to figure out what people mean when they talk about "full-on". I asked once before and someone told me that it means the same thing for psytrance as it does in regular English. I'm a native speaker of English, but I guess this is an expression or word that I've never really heard used before. I know what "full on" means, but I don't quite know what that means for psytrance.

I hate to bother you guys with questions that may have been asked about a thousand times, but this is as close as I've ever come to any type of psytrance community. I'm an island unto myself. B)

Full On, is Alien Project, Astrix, GMS etc These kinds of artists..

Astral Projection - Trust in Trance 3

Astral Projection - The Astral Files

California Sunshine

Chi-a.d.

I hope that this is the kind of music you are looking for..

Take care, and good luck

Full On, is Alien Project, Astrix, GMS etc These kinds of artists..

Astral Projection - Trust in Trance 3

Astral Projection - The Astral Files

California Sunshine

Chi-a.d.

I hope that this is the kind of music you are looking for..

Take care, and good luck

209815[/snapback]

Is there any particular 'best' California Sunshine album?

Also, does Astral Projection only have one Trust in Trance album? Is this the one on psyshop.com that is released in 1996 or is that a separate work?

Chi-a.d. and Astral Projection are out of stock at places such as saikosounds.com and psyshop.com. Does this mean I'm shit out of luck or can they be ordered? Are there any other places to look?

Hey there... ebay is your best bet for most oldies, but expect to pay a lot - and naturally, the better releases only get put up for sale once in a while. To address some questions in your first post - earlier Astral Projection albums are certainly better for your interests than Ten and Amen. California Sunshine's best is probably Nasha, but I also have an appreciation for Flying Eye Land. Everything else by them is overrated imho.

Check saikosounds for some of the classics listed on this site... go to Goa reviews and check out the years 1995 through 1998 for anything listed with a red highlight - read some reviews and see if it sounds good to you. I think saiko will have some nice oldies on Phonokol if you check them out. MFG's New Kind of World is in stock and that is a certifiable classic.

As for full-on... I guess that is this scene's equivalent to UK hard house or nu-nrg... kinda vacuous dance music with big obnoxious bass lines and a cookie cutter set of effects/"melodies"... not really for home listening or really trancing out.

Good luck on the quest...

Chi-a.d. and Astral Projection are out of stock at places such as saikosounds.com and psyshop.com.  Does this mean I'm shit out of luck or can they be ordered?  Are there any other places to look?

209816[/snapback]

You can try Gemm or Amazon, various sellers sell their stuff through these sites, both new and used. You may have to go for a used copy though, as these cds may not be easy to find new.

Is there any particular 'best' California Sunshine album?

Also, does Astral Projection only have one Trust in Trance album?  Is this the one on psyshop.com that is released in 1996 or is that a separate work?

Chi-a.d. and Astral Projection are out of stock at places such as saikosounds.com and psyshop.com.  Does this mean I'm shit out of luck or can they be ordered?  Are there any other places to look?

209816[/snapback]

mp3 is your friend

By the way, I know it's probably an ignorant question, but for several months I've been trying to figure out what people mean when they talk about "full-on".  I asked once before and someone told me that it means the same thing for psytrance as it does in regular English.  I'm a native speaker of English, but I guess this is an expression or word that I've never really heard used before.  I know what "full on" means, but I don't quite know what that means for psytrance.

209814[/snapback]

full on isnt trance , its somekind of techno and un-interstering anti-history telling music labeled as psytrance.

total eclipse - delta aquarids, violent relaxation

etnica - alien protein, the juggeling alchemist under the black light

man with no name - moment of truth, earth moving the sun

transwave - hypnorythm ep, helium, phototrophic

doof - let´s turn on

California Sunshine's best is probably Nasha, but I also have an appreciation for Flying Eye Land.

209821[/snapback]

Defiantly "Flying eye land" is the best of carilfonia sunshine...

ooohh man, this cd used to be my favorite for several good trips :rolleyes:

and some nice releases i think u should check:

Dark Nebula- Robotic Tongue -2004

VA-The Search For You -2004

VA-The Natural Waves Of Sound Vol2-2004

VA-The Chemical Mafia-2004

VA-Project Sun Dew -2004

VA-Kagdelicious -2004

there all pretty fresh,but hey, that's some great stuff ;)

Huh, it is always difficult to introduce this MASSIVE genre to the newcommers, but I'll give a try. You see, whole trance culture started developing at the very beginning of nineties. In the beginning, trance was purely based on bunch of samples arranged very simple but with some specific order that can put you in a trance. It was very energetic and simple but with point. Soon after that, people started to understand state of trance in more serious ways and started producing more artistically arranged ideas. So, 1993 was turning point for trance. It started to develop from simple arrangements to more complex, precise and emotional trance structures. Acid Trance was first artistic trance and it was enormosly popular back then and was highlight of every RAVE party. 1994 was definite beginning of GOA Trance. First labels started to rise : DRAGONFLY, FLYING RHINO, PHONOKOL, BLUE ROOM...leading trance labels for years. New compilations and first Goa albums were made back then, but the real expansion and maturement started in 1995. Heaps of new artists started to produce this wonderful music and so many pioneers of nowadays trance were at their beginners peak back then. 1996 and 1997 were the most creative, tasty, and musically most challenging for Goa and Psychedelic Trance. Lots of classics were made back then. Almost every artist and every album made sense and was made out of sheer excitement and whole spectar of new ideas and states people were in. 1998 was maybe the best year for big, epic, massive trance structures. Lot of crossovers and new genres started to develop back then. Even minimal psychedelic trance started to develop then. 1999 passed very energetic and goa genre progressed and production was never before so clean, crisp, polished and firm. Lot of artists developed their sound at its best. 2000 brought many newcommers, mostly interested in developing minimal and progressive trance. Goa genre started slowly dying and some of the last Goa albums were made back then among which was Dimension 5 - Second Phaze album, Ra - To Sirius, etc. Minimal and progressive started to be heavily produced and by 2001 we almost couldn't hear any Goa anymore. 2001 was year of experiments. Lot of pioneers decided to evolve their sound and made more 'intelligent' releases than emotional and exciting. That year was to me one of the worst for this genre cause there were heaps of evil, nasty stuff made then. 2002 brought Full on genre to its place in trance culture. The beats started to pump and whole genre started to be slightly hysterical. Hyperproduction started to develop and there were bunch of artists that were constantly producing thousands of songs for better trance parties. Whole evolving started to sound like devolving. Less and less creative ideas were there and there was more fillers than ever. 2003 continued with this trend and brought hundreds of new artists that were poping from all meridians in the world. In the year 2004, it seems that a lot of people were bored with hyperproductivity and it brought some new genres and crossovers we were waiting for a long time. Someone went to the roots and someone progressed the sounds even more. According to present state, it seems that 2005 will bring melodies back again and long waited excitement seems to knock on our doors of perception again. I truly hope that 2005 will be the best year for trance for this beginning of century. And now I can list you some of the music you might be interested in considering you like melodies and excitement:

Astral Projection - Trust In Trance

Message From God - The Prophecy

California Sunshine - Trance

Indoor - Progressive Trance

Electric Universe - One Love

Cosmosis - Cosmology

Transwave - Helium

Prana - Cyclone

Shakta - Silicon Trip

Etnica - Alien Protein

Dimension 5 - Transdimensional

Man With No Name - Moment Of Truth

Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia

Battle Of The Future Buddhas - Twin Sharkfins

Pigs In Space - Artificial Pigs Agency

X - Dream - We Created Our Own Happiness

The Infinity Project - Feeling Very Weird

Juno Reactor - Beyond The Infinite

Total Eclipse - Violent Relaxation

Colorbox - Train To Chroma City

Message From God - New Kind Of World

Chakra & Edi Mis - The Promised Land

Cydonia - In Fear Of Red Planet

UX - Ultimate Experience

Astral Projection - Astral Files

Power Source - Cosmic Waves

Oforia - Delirious

Chi-A.D. - Infinitism

Miranda - Phenomena

Tandu - Multimoods

California Sunshine - Nasha

Transwave - Phototropic

Psygone - Optimystique

Astral Projection - Dancing Galaxy

Electric Universe - Stardiver

Asia 2001 - Dreamland

Boris Blenn - Paradise Connection

Message From God - Project Genesis

Astral Projection - Another World

Lunar Asylum - Lunar Asylum

Doof - Let's Turn On

Jaia - Blue Energy

and lots lots more...

I hope I helped you a little bit...;)

Wow! You guys have been amazing! This was absolutely the kind of information I was searching for. I've been researching and listening to sound clips all afternoon, and I'm seriously stoked.

I can't thank you all enough. This music may be old hat to you guys, but I'm coming over from mainstream trance and progressive house, and it's blowing my mind.

Back in the day I was into euphoric Dutch trance. I picked up Dimension 5 - Second Phaze and gave it a haphazard whirl and thought it was ho-hum. After listening to a few minutes of each track I put it away and let it sit for a year and a half. Now that I'm getting more into Goa, I pulled it out the other day, cranked up the volume on the Harman Kardon and sat there in amazement at how I could have passed it up before.

Just For Complete The Amazing Seraph's List :

O.O.O.D - A Live

Transwave - Hypnorhythm

X-Dream - Trip To Trancesylvania

X-Dream - Panic In Paradise

Psyko Disko - Psycho Disco

Planet B.E.N - Trippy Future Garden

Koxbox - Dragon Tales

Prana - Geomantik

Cosmosis - Synergy

The Muses Rapt - Spiritual Healing

Blue Planet Corporation - Blue Planet

Hux Flux - Cryptic Crunch

Pleiadians - Family Of Light

Man With No Name - Teleportation

Toi Doi - Technological

VA - Accidental Occidentalism

VA - Trance Dance & Magic Plants

try some of the older Goa Head and Destination Goa compilations.. A lot of

different artists. This way you get to listen to a broad range of different artists

instead of buying each and every album from the individual artists which usually only have a few good tracks per album..

Avatar have some of the albums posted here (Asia 2001, Indoor, Cydonia..)

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_la...sp?label_id=127

And Inpsyde (Etnica, X-dream, Koxbox)

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_la...sp?label_id=271

i highly recomend you to lsten to old astral projection stuff:

trust in trance vol.1,2,3

the astral files

dancing galaxy

anothr world

in the mix

amen

you said you didnt like Amen ha? well i can tel you one thing. amen is one of the most beautiful album i have ever heard! i did not like at all when i listend to it in the first times, but after more than two years that i'm listening to the albu, i can say honestly its just genius!

also ley me recomend you about MFG (Message From God) album:

the prophecy

new kind of world

project genesis

the message

all are just superb!

if you want some more recomndation i'll be very happy to recomend you!

just log on to 213669731 :)

i highly recomend you to lsten to old astral projection stuff:

trust in trance vol.1,2,3

the astral files

dancing galaxy

anothr world

in the mix

amen

you said you didnt like Amen ha? well i can tel you one thing. amen is one of the most beautiful album i have ever heard! i did not like at all when i listend to it in the first times, but after more than two years that i'm listening to the albu, i can say honestly its just genius!

also ley me recomend you about MFG (Message From God) album:

the prophecy

new kind of world

project genesis

the message

all are just superb!

if you want some more recomndation i'll be very happy to recomend you!

just log on to 213669731 :)

209945[/snapback]

Project Genesis is fucking great, but as far as I can tell he is looking for some old school Goa, and not the heavy kind of Goa.

New Kind of World is the style you are looking for as far as I can see..

Take care..

If you like the older sound and all you have from MWNN is Interstate Highway and all you have from AP is their last two albums, well let me tell you... you are missing out.

Older MWNN albums can be hard to get, but you should be able to get Teleportation (Dragonfly) still. That has many MWNN classic tracks like Lunar Cycle, etc.

And as for Astral Projection... someone above reccomended Astral Files. It's good, but not their best. Get Trust in Trance/Trust in Trance 3 and get Dancing Galaxy!!! You can usually find a copy of Dancing Galaxy at A&B sound (downtown). Otherwise Saikosounds is your best bet. Keep your eye on their stock list. They restock stuff all the time.

About the Trust in Trance 3 vs. Trust in Trance, my understanding is older version of the album were released as a compilation (there was trust in trance 1 & 2). These albums were made of songs by various combinations of a few guys. Anyway, Trust in Trance 3 was quite the album and later releases of it outside of Israel just called it Astral Projection - Trust in Trance (i.e. they started releasing it as an album). It was released in 96. So the copy you saw on psyshop was probably what you are looking for.

As for some other stuff that should still be available from Saiko, Psyshop, etc....:

Electric Universe - Stardiver

Cosmosis - Synergy

MFG - New Kind of World

X-dream - Radio (it was rereleased on Avatar I think)

Doof - Let's Turn On

Jaia - Blue Synergy (from Saikosounds)

Thanks khogg. I've had some really good luck with Amazon. It appears to be a bit of luck and where you search. I was watching some Prana albums on Ebay. Cyclone went for over $100 CDN. I figured if that was the going price for these types of albums, then my little exploration of older Goa was over.

I then went over to Amazon and was able to find Prana's Cyclone and Geomantik for about $28.99 US. I bought both of them on the spot. After spending quite a while searching on Amazon, I was pleasantly surprised to find out how many of the older Goa albums are readily available at a reasonable price.

I also have noticed that some of the recommendations in this thread are available at Saikosounds.

Again, a big thanks to all you guys for being so helpful and enthusiastic. I have that same feeling of exploration and excitement I had when I first discovered the trance genre perhaps two and a half years ago. Before that time, I was never into music and didn't even own one CD or listen to the radio. When I started listening to trance, something clicked. It's now an all consuming passion and hobby that occupies a lot of my free time.

You are absolutely right. To find older stuff it does take a bit of luck. You have to hunt around a bit. Ebay, Amazon, Speciality Online Psy stores, local shops... it's part of the fun :)

My only reccomendation is check the places like Saiko, Psyshop, Chaos, etc. before you buy anything new at a place like Amazon. Places like Amazon will sometimes have some obscure stuff which is great. But you will pay more. You can get a good psy cd these days for $12-16 US.

" Before that time, I was never into music and didn't even own one CD or listen to the radio. When I started listening to trance, something clicked. It's now an all consuming passion and hobby that occupies a lot of my free time."

Ha ha... another one bites the dust! ;):)

Good luck to you man.

P.S. If you don't already know about them, you might want to check out the following sites:

http://organixproductions.com/

http://deliria.org/main_page.htm