Monitors

Quick question: do you really need monitors for producting music?! I mean, what exactly is the purpose; if you were to use really nice headphones, or a really nice set of speakers what's the difference?

I guess what I'm saying is: please explain monitors to me! :)

At least with headphones you easily end up putting too much bass, which you only notice when you try to play it through speakers. As for good speakers... it depends what you mean by good speakers. Most speakers are designed to be nice for listening and "enhance" the sound rather than reproduce it accurately. You can probably start making music with ordinary speakers (as long as they're not the kind that say "ULTRA GIGA BASS BOOST 2000") and get monitors later after you've gotten some experience (you'll probably then be more capable of comparing monitors and decide what you need).

basically, from my own experience, monitors are just easier to work with...u can make a mix on a good set of monitors and the chances that it will sound good on a big system, in your car, and at home are pretty good...however, i think u can mix jsut as well on any other speakers if you know them well enough and if u have the time to constantly check your mixes on other speakers for comparison...

i learned in school that a very good way to check the frequency balance on your mix is to play your track in a normal car stereo...if it sounds alright there then it usually will sound alright at home, on your discman, etc....i currently do all my mixing in this lenghthy way because im in the process of moving and dont want to buy monitors until i know where im permanently going to be...so basically i mix on a nice set of sennheiser headphones, reference listen to my track against a track from another artist on the heaphones, mini hi fi, car stereo, and any other speakers i can get my hands on....until now, its worked fine, sounds awsome on a big set up at a party, and ive saved lots of cash..unfortunately id rather save time and so monitors are definately the next thing im going to buy..

if u dont have monitors, stress less..just get to know whatever type of speaker you have around to work with...the most important things imo to focus on is how much compensation u have to do with the low and high frequency balance in your mix...

dont know if this helps at all

peace!

A nice set of speakers should do the trick, as asian_bud_nation said: 'u can mix jsut as well on any other speakers if you know them well enough and if u have the time to constantly check your mixes on other speakers for comparison'

im with it, the aim is to learn in which frequencys the speaker 'lies' and treat it as well. would be helpfull to check the analyzer from time to time, but its not recommended to rely on it =]

About headphones im against, its too risky for the health of your ears, I prefer my ugly speakers than using headphones =]

• 2 weeks later...

The reason to use flat bed monitor speakers is :

They do not colour the sound.

they do not add or remove frequencies.

for example, if your speakers add a lot of bass and you make a track on them, you will find that when you play the track back on normal speakers that do not do this there will be less bass. So basically monitor speakers are neutral . The more neutral (the flatter the frequency response is) they are the more expensive they are. They are very important if you want good sound quality though you dont need to spend the earth, good results are obtainable on bottom end monitors like Yamaha nS10s or Spirit absolutes.

However even with monitor speakers you need to listen to your track on as many speakers as possible including shyt ones so you know the overall sound is like and you will eventually get to know how your speakers "sound" in relation to others.

monitors are good for music production(you can buy it jost for listening but i think its not worth the money :) )

you can produce without monitors the sound will be the same

but motiros as been created spacialy to give you the real sound

what i mean is you hear the real sound without any falsifications...

cheack this compeny ego system inc

i've been there and done that with my headphones, because the sound is not 'real' and only in your ears you end up wanting to feel the bass so you end up with far too much.

the trick is to listen to other mixes and see how they sound on your speakers and try to get as close as possible to those mixes.

you have to have good speakers though, to hear the mix clearly!

you can pick up a pair of wharfedale 8.1's for next to nothing, you dont need to spend loads to get good monitoring speakers, as long as its not paper cones you should be ok.

if you're writing goa/psy look for a frequency response that goes down to 55hz or below. lower the better!

a cheaper way of getting better sound also is to buy better cables, get silver or gold plated copper cable.