Remastering old school classics

Here's the question I have... there are plenty of great old school Goa songs that suffer from poor mastering. Is there any way to do something about this in the here and now, to make an improvement? Does anyone dabbling in mastering with an appreciation of old school want to give it a shot? or has anyone already?

On the other side, have any of the new "remastered" editions of old classics (such as the ones on Avatar and Inpsyde) sounded different to your ears?

That would be the great idea Basilisk. But, somehow I don't mind not so good mastering cause a lot of old school releases sound right being slightly poor mastered cause of spiritual feel. I mean, it would definately sound great if you for example take brilliant Hallucinogen - Spike song from RTTS. That song is abolutely marvelous but the mastering is so poor you can barely hear melody. Same stands for Etnica's first album Juggeling Alchemist, great music, bad mastering and that album would sound great with liquid sounds...;)

You'd need to re-do the mixing rather than the final mastering... Which is impossible since noone has the separate channels for all those tracks any more. The mastering can't separate sounds or treat individual sounds, since mastering is applied to the final mix. You can EQ certain frequencies to do things like cut out bass below 30Hz or lift the high frequencies a bit, but just about all sounds (except pure sine waves) have overtones and undertones that blend into those of the other sounds.

I've been planning to try to mix a deeper kickdrum into Transwave's "Zero Density" for a long long time, so I might give that a shot quite soon - I'll let you know how it turns out =)

You'd need to re-do the mixing rather than the final mastering... Which is impossible since noone has the separate channels for all those tracks any more. The mastering can't separate sounds or treat individual sounds, since mastering is applied to the final mix. You can EQ certain frequencies to do things like cut out bass below 30Hz or lift the high frequencies a bit, but just about all sounds (except pure sine waves) have overtones and undertones that blend into those of the other sounds.

I've been planning to try to mix a deeper kickdrum into Transwave's "Zero Density" for a long long time, so I might give that a shot quite soon - I'll let you know how it turns out =)

209526[/snapback]

true , zero density lacks a lot the low freq! :o

But isn't Zero Density supposed to sound 'light', hence the name: Zero Density? :)

209572[/snapback]

Yeah but if I try to play it in my sets people come up to me telling me the bass speakers died... It really happens every time. Those enormous melodies deserve better.

that also happens when pitching it higher ;)

209953[/snapback]

not really. ive produced pitched kicks (kinda nitzhonot ) if the kick lacks the sine wave tail you wont notest a low freq on it , or they simply cut the low freq on the kick /bassline , but better ask Dado :)

The problem probably with PsyTrance classics is, that in the 90s everyone used DAT's to record their final master on. So it was recorded in Stereo, and not as individual tracks on a harddrive or on an ADAT. Therefor, even if you get your hands on the master, it will be a stereo track, and that wont help you that much, im affraid.

The harddrives werent that big back then, so artists could do BIG harddrive recordings to just store them on. Once a mastering was done. DELETE and lets make a new track.

I think that if they would have used ADAT's or other multitrack recorders, then there would have been a good chance of re mastering.

I think that all the artists have their arrangements, but I doubt that they even still have the soundbanks for the sounds that they used.

Its a shame, because there are many many tracks out there that could need a bit of redo, and then they would be very fresh and new :)