Torakka - Far Out Express!

Basilisk

This isn't a review, since I'm not ready with that yet... more of a - stunned - reaction to the fabulous debut album from Torakka, and resulting thoughts. I had the group's debut EP from a long time ago which included Plastic Spliff Up Boogie and Blue Oxygen, but damn - what a journey the album itself turns out to be! Since there's a heap of old school fans here I think you've all got to give it some time to check out... my initial connection relates this to the work of Uni (a somewhat obscure Japanese act which all fans of Goa should certainly acquaint themselves with!). The style is not simply a replica of the old school sound, but rather - an extension and progression of it. Let me make this point clear however - this is not an "evolution" into sterilised grooves aimed at the dancefloor with a trickle of the old school feeling left, which is often what Goa fans are left with these days (excepting some obvious gems like Filteria!)... no, there are no cut corners, and it is clear the audience is universal. Why is it, after all, that psychedelic trance is aimed almost exclusively at the party listening context with dancefloor killers, when most of the listening goes on at home? Here we have a return to the all-round listening experience... and I for one have always had far more fun dancing to stuff that is, above all else, GOOD music in all contexts (not just on the dancefloor).

Full review, coming much much later... it is clear this one needs to be processed for a while first. Thoughts, anyone? If you needed a push to check it out, consider this it...

argh, this one has been teetering on my wishlist for months, the sounds sound samples are pretty nice, but i can't tell if it will stand up to repeated listenings... please tell me, basilisk, if it's as much of a diamond as it could be.

Why is it, after all, that psychedelic trance is aimed almost exclusively at the party listening context with dancefloor killers, when most of the listening goes on at home? Here we have a return to the all-round listening experience... and I for one have always had far more fun dancing to stuff that is, above all else, GOOD music in all contexts (not just on the dancefloor).

209506[/snapback]

For me this stuff is actually better live than at home (and Torakka does a great live set). For home listening I tend to go with something a bit more rough and less polished. Good release nonetheless. The cd manages to sound both epic and groovy at the same time, which is a pretty interesting combination.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good stuff. I really enjoy this altough I already knew what to expect after some very nice live sets last summer. Alround goa that atleast for me works anywhere and anytime :D

very retro goatrance... a little bit slow but then again big dreamer and telling story... not to much waves like filteria does so you won't get a headache ;) ... no real party killers on this release but a pleasure to listen at home feeling goatrance is still alive... :)

I really like the rich sound and the style of this album. However it seems that both the album itself as the individual tracks kind of lose focus towards the end. They usually begin interesting, but after a break when you would expect them to build up to the end, nothing really happens and it just goes on for a while and then ends. Also tracks 1-5 are pretty interesting, but the rest a bit less. All in all, one of the better releases lately and a lot of good ideas. With more melodic layers and build ups towards the end could have been superb.

• 5 months later...