Some thougts of minimal / melodic trance

Guest Elysium Project

That's the overall situation in Denmark..... too many "cool" people listening to psy/minimal because it's in !!!!

I have no problem with different people coming to parties...I actually think it's much better with a mixed crowd...but I do not think that the "cool" idiots and their bimbo chicks fit into this kind of music......

Kristian

no, we are not...

us from dnemark have problems with these "cool" people, they are bad for our scene. Nowadays we cant go to any parties without alof of police involment, these "cool" people are offtent involed with sales of drugs, witch causes the police to act much harder :/

Guest Ktrance

I agree completely with elysium and poke, too many in people have ruined the danish scene..

And by the way, I think this is the best thread I have read in this forum about the psy/minimal situation. Usually its people bickering no end, but in this tread there is actually alot interresting input with respect for other people's views. Kudos people! Respect!

love and Light

Ktrance

I refuse to let this topic aggrevate me anymore

I WILL NOT READ ANYMORE MINIMAL TRASHING JUNK MAIL

if u dont like it, great! tell everybody how crap it is and try to convince them and make sure that minimal artists cannot make a living bcoz after all they are talentless, mindless, drugged up hippies with bimbo chix.

Good Attitude - keep it UP.

In these conversations;

I dont see the respect, i don't see the love, i dont see the light

NO MORE OF MY INVOLVEMENT IN THESE TOPICS -

thanks

Guest Kristian

I agree with Elysium, Poke and Ktrance. We have the same problem with "cool" people and the police here in Sweden too.

But I think this is one of thoose things that will never change and that is unstoppable, unfortunately.

And to MK, this topic is, as I said before, not wether a certain music genre sucks or not. It's about people who's still interested in melodic trance, the style that is more seldom released by thoose trancelabels and more seldom to be experienced at feasts.

I still think that the scene has abbandoned the melodic genre in a strange suddened way, I still think melodic trance has a market for many people and considering the inlays above this fact has in some way already been confirmed. And I still think that melodic trance has a future and can be developed further much further, I don't think there's a reason for everyone to give it up for the progressive genre because melodic isn't "modern" anylonger...

Minimal rox big time, just listen to m.o.s., pylon, wizzy etc. its all about evolution/innovation, but if you dont like it, dont listen to it.........

ohh and by the way i agree with you guys, now here in copenhagen only the small private parties rox, not the tube or amager bio, but in the old days........ . . . . .

jj

Guest Elysium Project

MK i was not refering to the artists having bimbo chix......or that it have anything to do with minimal.....I was merely refering to the danish psyscene.......

Dont get so emotional..... everyone has a right to an opinion.....

for me a good minimal set is more psychedelic than a full on one. It's the way it slowly grows on you and eventually captures you completely, that feeling is the best :)

but that's just me, and i have nothing against full on I like it very much too especially after a couple of hours of minimal, then it can be nice to be slammed in the face with some powerful full on music. just to get out f that hypnotic groove and start playing a little more :)

so both styles has their place in the scene, atleast for me..

btw. much of the acts that are labeled as minimal aren'r minimalistic at all acording to me anyway, real minimalism for me is music like plastic man and pan sonic and stuff like that..

peace

Guest vasyachkin

for me Full-On and Minimal are NOT mutually exclusive terms. I find Wizzy to be both.

For me Minimal means non-excessive, and excessive to me means cheesy, so minimal to me is simply non-cheesy :)))

Guest Kristian

I guess there are a lot more genres in trance nowadays, then for some years ago all because of the evolution. And that is good because in this way more people have the chance to find music they like.

The feasts I'm aware of there are for only 10-20% (sometimes less) of a chance to experience full-on melodic trance which was so popular some years ago.

Maybe I'm narrow minded, but I have really tried enjoying minimal stuff at feasts but never succeded. Maybe I can turn on a minimal record when I'm at home making the dishes or so, but when I'm out feasting I need that face to face huge energy which I can only find in full-on melodic trance with hard filtered synthetic leads and so on.

So it often results in me staying at home instead.

The question I ask, since I know there are a lot like me out there (as I can see on this topic also) is why are there only 10-20% chance of experiencing melodic trance on feasts nowadays?

* Is it because it has become popular and "cool" with the more progressive acts?

* Or is it because trance labels almost only releases this stuff so people don't know anything else? (For making more money or because of that themselves are fond of this music or for other reasons).

* Or is it because the feastorganizers only bring the artists which themselves are interested in?

Thanks again!

Guest DJ Bardar

Hey! This is not that easy! Trance is developing in MANY directions, and now the music can be powerful but minimalistic... full-on without melodies... techno-influenced but twisted... there are SOO many directions... personally I like music with power, with good production... it's never wrong with a bit of emotion or melody, but I don't like too much melody. I like the hard techno (and sometimes minimal) sound as well. I don't see it as black or white, melodic or minimal, techno or trance... It's all changing and growing and influences mix together... Rememer: good music is good music!

Guest Kristian

Ok, UX, Pleiadians, MFG, Hallucinogen, Oforia, Pigs in space, Tandu, Slide, Cosmosis and Infected Mushroom theese are the best and my absolute favourites. Quality with lots of energy but never performing on feasts in my neighbourhood.

Call the genre of theese artists whatever you want, now you know what trance I mean when I say full-on melodic (this is my definition of full-on melodic/psy, even if some of them has changed their style lately, and I yes, know UX doesn't exist anylonger, maybe not even Slide either).

Nowadays, there's almost only the progressive stuff on feasts, and almost only popping up new progressive acts.

Why...?

Can we still trust in trance? :))

Guest Dave Dittmer

I don't think that the term "minimal" applies to practically any of the music that is labeled minimal psytrance. Think about it - the first minimal electronic music was minimal techno. A typical minimal techno track would consist of a kick, snare, hi-hat, and a TB-303. That's it. No sound effects, no layered hi-hats, no other synth parts, nothing else.

A lot of the psy trance stuff that gets labeled minimal has many different percussion instruments, various sound effects and samples, and a few different synths riffs. I think if you appplied the standard for labeling psy trance music as minimal to other styles of electronic music, you would end up calling everything minimal: all house, all techno, all drum and bass, all breaks. In fact, you would call most of the rest of the musical world minimal...

Rock band? Only a guitar, bass, drums and one singer? Minimal.

Jazz trio? Three musicians? Minimal.

Country? Mostly minimal.

Folk music? Only one singer and a guitar? Oh, that's so minimal.

People refer mainly to melodic and minimal psy trance. So, if it doesn't have a melody, it's minimal? Wrong.

Dave

Guest Kristian

Just ought to tell ya that I sent a review of a new released melodic trance album to Children yesterday. Normally I wouldn't mention it here but since this topic is about me awaiting more of the good old Goa and this album by Xervana called "Samples of a virtual life" being one of the best melodic trance album released this year (2001) I just thought I should advertise it here so you wouldn't miss it!

Cheers!