Some thougts of minimal / melodic trance

Guest Kristian

Todays trance is heading more and more towards the progressive sound.

In theese tracks there are a lot more of percussions inbetween the basskicks and the strong filtered synthleads which was the main characheristic of a typical trance track some years ago. The melodic synthleads has in general began to have a minor significance in the trance productions today.

One could say that the lines between trance and techno has become somewhat vague.

That's kind of sad, since I have never liked the monotonous sound of techno and always loved the sharp difference in trance between

the hard basskick, the bass and the strong filtered melodic synthleads.

But there are, fortunately, still some trance artists producing and developing some of that lovely trance that I'm so fond of.

I surely hope that thoose few still remaining will not ever give up and do like almost everybody else seemes to do nowadays, go for the progressive, in my opinion "lifeless" sound.

Best regards to my favourites - Pleiadians - !

This is just my opinion and thoughts, thanks.

PS. I also produce stuff to feel my need for that "melodic stuff", ask me if you want me to share it with you. :) DS.

boy I am going to get shot down a bit here - *gulp* -

I appreciate all sides on this debate and love the fluffy, out-there, wiggy, full-on stuff best

but isn't this aversion to the new sound a bit like the caterpillar who said to the butterfly, "you'll never catch me going up in one of those" ?

Guest Kristian

It's so sad I almost can't remember how a good full-on album sounded like. The last one I bought was UX - Ultimate experience (pretty old now, manage to get it from saikosounds) and Pleiadians - Family of light, also pretty old now... Are there any good ones I've missed lately? (Toï Doï was also pretty good). Hard basskick + filtered synthleads with lots of layers that's what I prefer and Pleiadians and early MFG did it best. I've never experienced any new albums of that kind this year yet. Are there any?

Funny, in many forums or web sites which deal with trance/goa we can read the same kind of stuff. It seems the production does not meet most of our expectations. Some progressive / deep / minimal trance tracks really kick ass (I love Aztec - Outer breath, or many Atmos tracks aswell) but I can often listen to tracks where you feel the author just fell asleep letting a boring loop running.

Guest Kristian

Synsun was great! Thanks vasyachkin - not as good as Pleiadians or Astral but still better than Ra or Dimension 5, just my thoughts also.

And I totally agree with Darken, every sentence of what you said. :)

BTW: If someone wants to check out my stuff: http://evolutionspring.hypermart.net/cgi-b...ld_(teaser).zip AND http://evolutionspring.hypermart.net/cgi-b...od_(teaser).zip this is my new project, I also released an album under Evolution Spring, reviewed here. I would be glad if you left me some comments on theese.. :)

Guest Slidingtrancer

I'm with the topicstarter but I feel people will get sick of it as there seems to be a strong need for melodies ( this is based on the pleas for melody daily). I also like multi-layered stuff, not just a beat, a hihat and a melody that follows the bass like c,c,c,c,c,d,d,d,d,d,b,b,b,b,b,c,c,c,c,c,d,d,d,d,d,c#,c#,c#,c#,c#...

Its really boring and there really is no need to make such music, there's enough around. I think you are right about those albums. I mean the only things that are left are almost all made by the same artists or co-ops..

RA

Dimension 5

Electron Wave

The old MFG... hmm.... * feels icycles down his spine*

its not so much an aversion to the new sound... its not a new sound! its been happening in electronic music already so its really old hat... what we want [some of us!] is goa trance, or even psytrance! i mean, really - honestly - tell me... where does tim schuldt's productions lie? or the works of cydonia, hux flux, or psychoid?

if i had to name my favourite albums released in 2001 they would be:

aurinko - catcher [stunning dark industrial styles]

moon spirits - full moon paradise ['avin it energetic psychedelic mayhem]

spectral - diffuse [thoughtful grooves and funk injection]

is it goa trance of yesteryear? definatly not.. but its still something good... music with a lot of life and spirit!

I agree with Dieznyk here!!

I don't like many minimal trance because there's not enough POWER in it... that's why stuff like Tim Schuldt, Cydonia, 4CN and so many others are so popular those days... it's new-style but with alot of power!!! I don't think all the psy-trance has to be melodic, but keep it Psy and powerful!

Bom Shankar

Anoebis

NEGATIVITY BREEDS NEGATIVITY

goa heads are full of that vibe. - non-stop complaining and bickering like little children...it's a real shame!

live what u love + + + + + peace to all styles of music.

Such a ridiculous discussion and shaky comments =====================more psy in minimal??? 'Astral' and all the rest...u guys cant be serious, hey?

its all a matter of perception. i happen to really enjoy minimal. and i personaly find it more powerful more energetic and more psychadelic than a lot of melodic trance. i cant tell you how boring i think astral is, but hey if you love them...listen to them.

i also agree that there is a lot of minimal thats just plain bad. i dont like minimal where theres just some lame loop going on forever, but most minimal is not like that. it does have a great deal of change in it...its just more subtle. i still listen to and love melodic (hehe going to see infected tonight actualy) but i prefer minimal. do i want the melodic acts to stop making music or to start producing minimal...hell no. i want them both.

i do think its a shame though how people are so caught up on thier preconcieved ideas about what "goa" should sound like. for a music genre thats all about patterns and how they change and evolve...a lot of people sure seem to want the music style as a whole to remain stagnant.

patterns and change

chaos theory

the sepant eats its tail to regenerate.

cycles of life.

life means chage, if youre not changing....youre dead.

I agree with Anoebis, somewhat, that there needs to be power if there's not going to be a catchy tune. That's why I like what some of the "minimal" style is evolving into, which I, at least, call "tech-trance": Midimilitz/Spirallianz, The Delta, X-Dream, Wizzy Noise, etc. Extremely powerful, and makes up for a lot of the monotony in minimal music (though I still do like a lot of minimal stuff - it has it's place - just not on a regular basis in my listening).

Good luck, everybody, finding music that you like so that you'll have less time to spend complaining about music you don't. :) EA

"MK wrote:

NEGATIVITY BREEDS NEGATIVITY

goa heads are full of that vibe. - non-stop complaining and bickering like little children...it's a real shame!"

yeah! I dont see why people need to complain about the music, if you dont like it then simply dont listen to it...

If you want different music, then start to make it yourself .. dont sit on your ass and complain about the people that actually makes music ....

This minimal / melodic topic have been around here for a long time now , and I think most people are really fed up with it ...

_

Peace & Love ! yeah, 2001.

kriz wrote:

"This minimal / melodic topic have been around here for a long time now , and I think most people are really fed up with it ..."

if you dont like it then simply dont read it... ;o)))

Guest Kristian

Hmm, as far as I can remember, it was actually me who had some thoughts of minimal / melodic trance who started this topic... All I wanted by this was to share my thoughts of that topic, not to tell everyone wether a style or music sucks or not.

I simply just wanted to hear if I'm odd, still having a huge need of hard, filtered syntheticleads with lots of layers which characterized the trance some years ago which is more seldom released nowadays.

I got some happy answers confirming that I am not alone out there. And that there are still some guys like RA, Synsun still "releasing" excellent good old full-on trance which I would like to hear more of on feasts to make the crowed go wild as it was some years ago.

As far as I've understand, in different peoples opinions above, the classic trance labels are looking for more progressive stuff nowadays since it sells more then the elder stuff. Is it really the truth? Lots of people here still seemes to want the elder melodic stuff. Is it only so that the labels want to earn more money, is money everything?

Just want to say that I respect all the guys who's still into the melodic stuff and still developing the style, it CAN be melodic and still be developed.

Thanks!

(Someone tried DL'ing my stuff?)

Guest trancer

i remember the old days..from like 1995-1997..those was the days..i bought like 85% of the records that came..in the year 2001 i have bought only 10 records...i think that says a lot...The musc now days is:

Boring (everything sounds the same)

Way To Monote

No Power

And the most important...It has No SOUL!!!! doesn't spin you around on the dancefloor...i remember some weeks ago when i went to a party..ir was minimal after minimal and then suddenly Jaia and Dado - Sillenium came...i was flying. why?cause it has POWER! and a great melodie!

BOM!

This discussion doesnt seem to have a end :)

and it shouldnt have.

I dare to speak out that i find the psytrance, and other psychedelic styles with melodies, boring, i do not enjoy it as much as i used to because.

When i listend to music, or dance at a party i get annoyed, if there is way too many sounds, for when i dance i go for the groove, and psychedelic sounds twisting thrue the space of air. I do like melodies, but not way too many, i prefer them to hear them on the climax. Offcause there are tracks i enjoy witch have melodies oter places.. The minimal progressive yes it is sounding a bit Tech/trance but the groove fills much more, so does percussion. Again there are many crappy minimal producers, not artist that exploit the minimal wave, witch has been seen world wide.

Many people claim that minimal sound has no spirit, again it depends on witch artist you listend to. Its true it doesnt have the taste of Etnic spirit witch influenced Goa alot, but take an group like Beat Bizarre. They have a groovey spirit, their music is not cold, its warm, kinda fluffy, and very pleasent to dance and enjoy, its a creamy sound, while acts like Paste, or Pixel is more "Coke" orientated, its hard and very monotom. I´ve seen alot of cokeheads going wild to espacialy Paste, and XV Killist at a pathetic danish club called the tube. When there is melodic, or just psytrance, they desapier from dance floor :D

For the spirit of music, my conclusion is, that not all minimal, like som psy trance producers, dont make their music with their heart, like BSB ehe..

And one more thing,

New good psytrance where does it grow ?

i´ve The Good The Bad And The Ugly, thats the latest i´ve heard that was interesting..

cheerios

p0ke

Guest iNfiNiTi500

I think people see the Minimal versus Goa as too Black and White. The stuff that actually sells well, 3dVision and TIPworld stuff can neighter be classified exclusively in 1 category. I can live without for example Snug as a Bug or Ra / Electron Wave...and the stuff that impressed me most this year such as Bio Tonic and 1300 Mics is definately neighter minimal/progressive nor old skool...

Somewhere in the middle someting very nice and powerfull is growing...watch this space...

Guest lÿsërgïç

...."I´ve seen alot of cokeheads going wild to espacialy Paste, and XV Killist at a pathetic danish club called the tube. When there is melodic, or just psytrance, they desapier from dance floor"....

i think you will find this the case when people cant handle the crazy synth / acid lines. i know this happens for some people, it just does their head in.

but not me!! i love it!! :o)

!-long live melodies-!