Who are your favorite Chillout/Ambient Artists?

asura

What is your favorite chillout ever?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite chillout ever?

• Shpongle
    • Carbon Based Lifeform
    • Entheogenic
    • Boards of Canada
    • Aes Dana
    • Solar fields
    • Jaia (Ambient Project)
    • Future Sound of London
    • Steve Roach
    • Banco de Gaia
    • Asura
    • Medicine Drum
    • Huva Network
    • Saafi Brothers
    • Deep Dive Corporation
    • Ishq
    • Taruna
    • Toires
    • Shulman
    • Ooze
    • Makyo
    • Boom Devil
    • The Infinity Project
    • Tangerine Dream
    • Klaus Schulze
    • Patchwork
    • Shakatura
    • Mere Mortals
    • Spiritjack
    • Waterjuice
    • Digital Mystery Tour
    • Stress Assassin
    • Time Warp
    • Astralasia
    • Barramundi
    • Violet Vision

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astro Cortex

I voted for Astralasia.

Also among my favourite ambient/chill:

The Orb

Aphex Twin ambient stuff

Ozrics ambient stuff

Banco de Gaia

Timeshard

Children of the Bong

Knights of the Occasional Table

DLS/Delysid (=ambient project of the Moksha guys,

also some dark ambient from their solo projects, released under their real names: Hoedh and Hostia)

and I strongly recommend anything on the em:t label, it's some of the finest chill music ever released. I know the CDs are very hard to come by, the only chance is to bid very high on eBay. But there is still the em:t streaming channel, I recommend you check this out first.

the whole twisted crew makes me wanna puke.

their trance and chill just bores the crap out of me..

214533[/snapback]

what do you think about ott?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest .::E.P

Astralasia is in the list. Concerning OTT, sorry, it's hard to remember every chill artists!  :(

209330[/snapback]

That's why these poll's are a bit too silly. They dont represent all people's taste and they leave out many many good artists.

ASURA

'Like A Summer Day' & 'Simply Blue' are simply perfect, deep and represent everything which can be representable in the world... 'simply blue' provides so much feelings... this is just unbelievable

Guest eleria

ok Im sure some people will hate me with all their energies after this one but:

am I the only one that thinks shpongle is over-rated?

I mean, sure, are you shpongled was great but... tales of the inexpressible had some baaad moments...  I guess only the name has a lot of influence too, not just the music..

flame me now =)

210203[/snapback]

You are not the only one sherlock and like already mentioned I also think this poll makes it quite obvious.

I mean seriously, how can you rate shpongle higher than artists like FSOL, Steve Roach,Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze, that produced lots and lots of quality music, when they only released two albums, out of one is quite mediocre? Imo shpongle has to come up with much more to even be in the top five.

just too damn hard :P

well... my pics are entheogenic & ishq... :wub:

there are so many great chillout/ambient artists out there. but those that usually hits me the most are the almost beatless songs, uplifting, soulfull... I like piano alot also... iiisch, too hard... :rolleyes:

Guest djnemo

It's up to you to decide! Our choice is Klaus Schulze, cause he is the pioneer of all chill, ambient ans spacey musics we are listening to, nowadays.

209289[/snapback]

hehe :) sorry for complaining, but where is Pete Namlook?! :) I have many favourites. I think it depends on my mood.

I would go for:

Pete Namlook

The Orb

Steve Roach

FSOL

Banco De Gaia

and many others but the above are the ones that I listen A LOT to :)

Guest djnemo

You are not the only one sherlock and like already mentioned I also think this poll makes it quite obvious.

I mean seriously, how can you rate shpongle higher than artists like FSOL, Steve Roach,Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze, that produced lots and lots of quality music, when they only released two albums, out of one is quite mediocre? Imo shpongle has to come up with much more to even be in the top five.

225187[/snapback]

Hehehe Eleria, I think its an Age thing. :) I was in this scene when there was only a kid called Simon P basically. (well, I was too a kid back then hehehe).

Shpongle is loved by the young generation (this is the feeling I get) and the "oldies" like the artists you mention and others, much better.

(this is no offense to all you youngsters) :)

225187[/snapback]

Well dear Eleria this poll was not about "Who do you think is the most Talented?" but simply "Who is you Favourite?". If Shpongle kicks peoples booty then who are you to say they should rate some other artists higher? That's just weird.

Guest eleria

Well dear Eleria this poll was not about "Who do you think is the most Talented?" but simply "Who is you Favourite?". If Shpongle kicks peoples booty then who are you to say they should rate some other artists higher? That's just weird.

225408[/snapback]

I knew that somebody would say that and since you got so shpongled, that you even use it as a nick, I am not surprised that it is you :P But you are right, the poll is about favourite chill/ambient artist and not the best one. I didn't tell anybody what they should do though, that's your interpretation.

Nevertheless I do agree with nemo's observation, that it probably has got something to do with age and what you grew up with. I also have a suspicion, that many people haven't checked out much of the artists, that very much shaped ambient/chill music, but only know what is hip nowadays.

And before you flame me: that's just my opinion. ;)

I knew that somebody would say that and since you got so shpongled, that you even use it as a nick, I am not surprised that it is you  :P

Well the nick is very old... I have had it since this site was opened... and even before that I had a mail account at hotmail called shpongledboy. I just have not managed to get rid of it since I have used it so long. :rolleyes:

Also as I said in the beginning of this thread I did not vote since I could not pic up my favourite in this category... and instead I listed these artists as my favourites (from the poll list only): Shpongle, Future Sound of London, Steve Roach, Banco de Gaia, Ishq, The Infinity Project, Klaus Schulze.

So it was not so much about Shpongle bashing that got me writing... but simply because I did not understand your logic about the rating... and I still don't! You know some people have tendency to bash artists just because they are popular... and I think that's what you were doing.

But you are right, the poll is about favourite chill/ambient artist and not the best one. I didn't tell anybody what they should do though, that's your interpretation.

Well ok you didn't ask directly but you wondered how somebody could rate it higher than for example Klaus Schulze which is still weird since when it comes to DIGGIN' music it really doesn't matter a one bit how meny records the artist have released or how intelligent/serious the compositions are... if that would be the case everybody would be listening jazz and classical 24/7.

Nevertheless I do agree with nemo's observation, that it probably has got something to do with age and what you grew up with. I also have a suspicion, that many people haven't checked out much of the artists, that very much shaped ambient/chill music, but only know what is hip nowadays. And before you flame me: that's just my opinion.  ;) 

It might be true that the people who listen more Schulze, The Orb, Roach etc than Shpongle type of music are a bit older... but in larger perspective the difference is just a drop in ocean.... you see you could go on and on even more deeper and deeper and say that some even more older jazz/classical musician would propably laugh his/her ass off for somebody goin on how The Orb is a LOT better than Shpongle (because the difference between them is so small). Like I said people easily diss popular names... and also at the end of the day the age thing just smells like elitism. IMO.

Guest eleria

Ooops, I only saw your reply now shpongled. You really seem to take this quite serious.

See, I didn't bash the holy cow Shpongle, I just said, that I find they are overrated and that imo they have to come up with more than one good album, to be in the top 5 of ambient/chill artists out there.

My opinion about them also hasn't got anything to do with their popularity.

I really liked the first Shpongle album when it came out, but got bored with it quite quickly. The second one never appaeled to me and I think it isn't very good.

I wasn't even aware how many people adore them until I started hanging out in psy forums in the middle of last year.

If you think recognizing different influences on peoples listening habits in relation to their age is elitistic, than that is up to you, imo it is a quite obvious fact.

Hehehe Eleria, I think its an Age thing. :)

225260[/snapback]

well, music listening habits and tastes obviously has to do with age, with where you live, with your personal growing and history, etc, but its not at all a cause-and-effect relation and there are many exceptions (which im sure everybody here knows)...

I for one am very young, I guess, and dont like shpongle.. not my taste..

(I also dont like most beatless and too ambient stuff like (from what I heard) steve roach, pete namlook, etc...)

And where is KLF, the Orb and mixmaster morris?

I'm also getting too old it seems :)

About the shpongle popularity.

If it now is popularity that counts very few people outside the trance scene seem to have heard about shpongle,and compared to KLF, the Orb and FSOL they are small potatoes.

I must say that I think that the way people glorify Posford as somekind of godfather of ambient seems slightly out of perspective.

Admittedly posford influenced how ambient and trance sound somewhat...IMO for the worse, but obviously thats not many in here that agree about.

But Tangerine Dream, KLF and the Orb created a new style of music rather than simply altering the style a bit.

Ok, I think shpongle is boring dead production and have no feeling for the melodies he makes. But even if one does think he makes the best ambient music I think one have to appreciate that he did not contribute that much except adding his touch to an already defined genre.

So creativily he is a small potatoe when it comes to the history of ambient compared to many names not in this list.

I'm sorry for upsetting the shpongle fanatics, but I have an opinion and thats how it goes.

I'm sure most shpongle fans don't like a lot of the music I like, and thats fine with me, and I wont bother to flame anyone who do not have the same taste as me.

Quote: "...I find they are overrated and that imo they have to come up with more than one good album, to be in the top 5 of ambient/chill artists out there."

Can you tell me what does number of released albums got anything to do with the fact that some people actually enjoys Shpongles music more than for example Schulzes?

Person #1: Which do you like more FSOL or Schulze?

Person #2: FSOL.. Definitely! :)

Person #1: Wow you must be kidding!

Person #2: :huh: Huh?? What do you mean? I love FSOL!!

Person #1: You are way overrating it!

Person #2: :o I am??

Person #1: Yes, you are. Schulze has released SHED

loads of more albums than FSOL!!

Person #2: :unsure: So??

Person #1: So FSOL should come up at least 20 more

albums to be on top place!

Person #2: Really? But I just happen to like FSOL more.

Person #1: Well don't worry, you are still very young,

you will understand these things when you get little older...

Person #2: :blink: *Arms fells off*

i.e. music is question of taste and you are questioning peoples taste by asking "how can you rate shpongle higher than... ?"

Quote: "If you think recognizing different influences on peoples listening habits in relation to their age is elitistic, than that is up to you, imo it is a quite obvious fact."

Sure it might be obvious fact in cases like 'Britney Spears vs. Ray Charles' or 'Backstreet Boys vs. Frank Zappa'. But with 'Shpongle vs. FSOL'??? Lol.. not obvious at all.... if there is a line you would have to use microscope to see it. See, for example, Sherlock just said he's young and doesn't like Shpongle and I am "old" and love Shpongle. B)

edit: argh! there is something wrong with the quote function again...

I must say that I think that the way people glorify Posford as somekind of godfather of ambient seems slightly out of perspective.

225694[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

I have never seen anybody call Posford a "godfather of ambient". I think you are pulling non-existent reasons out of your pocket just for the sake of bashing something you don't happen to like.

Sure I like bashing shpongle, and that is because there is a lot of people that seems to me like they think they is hugely influential and musical geniuses.

I don't think for example Ooze is super great but I don't bother to bash them because their fans seem to be a bit more sensible.

If it wasn't for all the claims about him being the mozart of our time etc etc I would not bother to comment. I just think that many of the shpongle fans seems to have a very limited view of music and think that there is something wrong with people who think the music is very average.

I seen people bashing much music I like, and hey....what do I care.

Taste is taste and I'm not bothered if people don't share my taste.

Shpongle fans on the other hand many times come across to me as thinking that their taste is some kind of universal truth, and hence I turn into bashing mode.

Guest eleria

@shpongled: Sorry, you just didn't get what I was saying and I don't feel to explain myself again.

I told you my opinion, you have yours. No problem.