Who are your favorite Chillout/Ambient Artists?

asura

What is your favorite chillout ever?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite chillout ever?

• Shpongle
    • Carbon Based Lifeform
    • Entheogenic
    • Boards of Canada
    • Aes Dana
    • Solar fields
    • Jaia (Ambient Project)
    • Future Sound of London
    • Steve Roach
    • Banco de Gaia
    • Asura
    • Medicine Drum
    • Huva Network
    • Saafi Brothers
    • Deep Dive Corporation
    • Ishq
    • Taruna
    • Toires
    • Shulman
    • Ooze
    • Makyo
    • Boom Devil
    • The Infinity Project
    • Tangerine Dream
    • Klaus Schulze
    • Patchwork
    • Shakatura
    • Mere Mortals
    • Spiritjack
    • Waterjuice
    • Digital Mystery Tour
    • Stress Assassin
    • Time Warp
    • Astralasia
    • Barramundi
    • Violet Vision

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add some fresh ambient releases that really suprised me the latest period...

Bluetech - Elementary Particles

emou - apres midi

Androcell - Emotivision

But well, the big Oblivion is OTT, Ok... you can whip me, everybody  :blink:

210101[/snapback]

keep your fantasies outta this forum thank you very much! :P

good job in putting this poll together tho!

and what about

pete namlook, biosphere, tetsu inoue, robert rich, lustmord, global communication, delerium/synaesthesia, michael stearns, vidna obmana, vir unis, ulrich schnauss, redshift etc. etc.  :P

210195[/snapback]

You are right Bahamut, and I forgot too to mention Aphex Twin ambient Project and Total Eclipse for Violent Relaxation, Michael Stearns, even Astral Projection for their ambient tracks (ambient galaxy by example)... Well too many people! :D

ok Im sure some people will hate me with all their energies after this one but:

am I the only one that thinks shpongle is over-rated?

I mean, sure, are you shpongled was great but... tales of the inexpressible had some baaad moments... I guess only the name has a lot of influence too, not just the music..

flame me now =)

I mean, sure, are you shpongled was great but... tales of the inexpressible had some baaad moments...  I guess only the name has a lot of influence too, not just the music..

flame me now =)

210203[/snapback]

no no no :) dont say these things :o

shpongle is not overrated at all - they deserve as much kudos as can be thrown their way :D IMO having fun is what shpongle music is all about and its characterised in the music perfectly B) More often than not, shpongle has alotta funk behind it aswell seperating shpongle from alot of psy & non psy-ambient acts around.

All these factors combined justify shpongle to be up there kickin ass & takin names!

However for the serious ambient head, fair enough, i can see how shpongle may be a bit "psypop culture" (if there ever was one)

As for the name influence, IMO the name does demand high expectation from the shpongle crew - but they do deliver especially LIVE when theyre awesome!

Shpongle is great and to speak of anything less is heresy.

Join the whipping queue with asura!

flame me now =)

210203[/snapback]

Hi Sherlock. I realized that "Tales of the Inexpressible" wasn't as high as everybody thought when we got the cd Voices of Istanbul. The track "around the world in a tea daze", vocally speaking, is a shame. They took a vocal bank of this sample cd and put it like this in the track without the single effort of construction, without thinking about the rythms, the link with the melody. I don't like the way Simon uses some of his samples, but well, it's just me.

Nevertheless, I don't think they are over-rated, they just don't talk to my heart (except the track And the day turned to night, fantastic to my ears).

They are to many people who like them: it can't be by chance... ;)

By the contrary, a band I feel totally overatted is Entheogenic. I don't understand this craze around them. I think the first album has no emotion, no energy, sounds very flat, mechanical, without soul, very snob in fact. I didn't listen to the second, maybe would I be surprised? B)

Well, its going pretty well I guess, as at least until now, nobody said anything about my mother yet hahaha

=)

Shpongle is great and to speak of anything less is heresy.

Join the whipping queue with asura!

hahah thats what I thought

well, in the end it obviously has to do with taste...

but say, for example, the track star sphongled banner... more towards the end, there are 2 things that for me are too irritating.. first is that it becomes too noisy and trancey in a hallucinogen style (not my cup of tea, sorry.. In terms of trance, im more into the slow prog stuff).. and the worst, is this sample, that comes from this Brazillian Carnival festival.. and it comes from such a cheesy and dumb situation, I cant even listen to it..

and other tracks with some vocals/samples that I dont really like, or too noisy moments...

so in the end, it doesnt seem to me that its all so geniously put together.. seems more that its the guy´s taste, and not necessarily something impressive.. (my opinion... of course for some it may be genious and they are just as right)..

and asura.. I didnt hear the entheogenic´s first album.. I did hear the second one though, and its pretty nice... not the best album ever, but quite enjoyable...

oh and btw.. I hope people use their energies on whipping your ass first, and then are too tired to whip me hahahahah =)

Excellent. The Asura Weeping Crew, what an album title, isn't it?  :P

210207[/snapback]

:P

id buy it!

but say, for example, the track star sphongled banner... more towards the end, there are 2 things that for me are too irritating.. first is that it becomes too noisy and trancey in a hallucinogen style (not my cup of tea, sorry.. In terms of trance, im more into the slow prog stuff).. and the worst, is this sample, that comes from this Brazillian Carnival festival.. and it comes from such a cheesy and dumb situation, I cant even listen to it..

210208[/snapback]

are you on about "my head feels like a frizbee"?

(coz that ends in a samba bonanza style ending)

I suppose the ending on this track is a little all over the shop - seems like they lost the will to carry on in a sensible way :)

p.s. we'll leave you mother outta this...

are you on about "my head feels like a frizbee"?

(coz that ends in a samba bonanza style ending)

I suppose the ending on this track is a little all over the shop - seems like they lost the will to carry on in a sensible way :)

p.s. we'll leave you mother outta this...

210212[/snapback]

haha yeah that part is also one of the ones that make me not enjoy them so much...

but I was really talking about star shpongled banner.. in the end, when there is this ´ooooh ooooh ooohhh ooohh ooooh, te pego, ooohh ooohh oooh´... or whatever heheh... maybe 1 minute before the end

anyway, as I said, I like the ´are you shpongled´ cd... I hope their third to-be-released cd is more like the first, than the second.. or at least something different from both..

p.s. my mother appreciates it =)

oops! sorry sherlock my mistake!

i thought you were on about the remixes! which doesnt have that oooh oooh oooh ooooh ooooh pimpeo , part...

(shows how much i know...)

:)

I mean, sure, are you shpongled was great but... tales of the inexpressible had some baaad moments...  I guess only the name has a lot of influence too, not just the music..

flame me now =)

No you are not the only one. I didn't even like Are You Shpongled that much, Behind Closed Eyelids is good, that's about it.

This poll would have been more interesting without Shpongle, more variation. The only information you get from it now is that yes, Shpongle is overrated. :)

flame me now =)

210203[/snapback]

I think it's because of their first album which was very innovative. I listened to the first one almost every day. The second one is a complete other story I didn't like it at all, listened to it maybe 5 times then never again.

I decided Steve Roach is my no.1

I don't like everything he did. But there's just no comparison to his best music. He is the master of ambient music PERIOD.  B)

212322[/snapback]

i back you up on that statement! there is no road closer to the great void.

the whole twisted crew makes me wanna puke.

their trance and chill just bores the crap out of me..

Shpongle is totally overrated.

IMFO Celtic Cross is much better.. The Fireman is better than both.

The Infinity Project - Mystical blaha blaha is THE BEST!

as for my favorite ambient/chillartist? eerrrg..

atm my pick would be:

Slowdive - Pygmalion

also, I really like Asura - Code Eternity! :)