Reviews forum vs Reviews database

Ormion

Ok,this is actually off-topic but it's about reviews so...

Do you prefer the reviews forum or the old reviews database?

It's kind of hard to find the releases,artist or tracks you want in a forum.Also database looks more official.What do you think?

Ok,this is actually off-topic but it's about reviews so...

Do you prefer the reviews forum or the old reviews database?

It's kind of hard to find the releases,artist or tracks you want in a forum.Also database looks more official.What do you think?

208831[/snapback]

Well, I think that what we need is a seperation of reviews (database) and comments (forum). Comments can be good, but has a tendency to only be relevant for a short period of time. If I'm thinking of buying a record I don't want to read posts about mp3's and how labels are hurt buy them, or what has caused the decline in sales. These comments are most of the time relevant at the time they're posted, but a month later they're not, and furthermore they will not help me to decide if this is a good record or not.

I guess that what I want is both, as they fill different purposes.

I don't think there is a doubt between the 2 systems: we ALL agree that a database is a million times better... but in the meantime a forum is the next best thing during the wait for a better database system which will allegedly come one day (hehe this is becomming like all those biblical stories on the comming of the Messiah ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the minimal way that the Reviews Database is built. The internet is already flooded with messy stuff everywhere so it's really refreshing to visit the old Psynews database. Review forums is a total chaos in my opinion, so i definately prefer the old reviews database. in fact, i still use it everyday, searching releases, reading opinions about all those good releases (damn i want to express myself there ;).

the new database's look and feel won't be much different from the old from what I understand. The only thing will be that there will be dynamic pages instead of static. On user-end there won't be much difference but there's a huge difference for the site administrator since the pages will automatically fill in instead of needing lots of hours of work to insert them manually...

Well, I think that what we need is a seperation of reviews (database) and comments (forum). Comments can be good, but has a tendency to only be relevant for a short period of time. If I'm thinking of buying a record I don't want to read posts about mp3's and how labels are hurt buy them, or what has caused the decline in sales. These comments are most of the time relevant at the time they're posted, but a month later they're not, and furthermore they will not help me to decide if this is a good record or not.

I guess that what I want is both, as they fill different purposes.

Well Im with Trolsk on this one, but if I have to choose one of them I'll definetly go for the database. Easy to search both by year and other, and as Trolsk states, when I want to buy a record I want just the review and not all this other nonsense as the mp3 war going on. However I state again that I would like both options.

-peace