Basslines

do you have any tips for the novation bass station.. for low dub bass i mean.. i never get the right sound  <_<

208315[/snapback]

youll need a sine wave for it and bassStation dont have it , try to get it with the square wave instead , use low notes and EQ it a bit.

All I have to say is VB-1.

most producers of the Full on Style with the deep rolling basslines with that sweet mid crunch, are using the VB-1. You just need to EQ and compress the hell out of it in order to make it sound great. (when you first see and hear it you wouldn't think it could make anything decent... but you'll be very pleasantly surprised if you know your parametric EQing.)

bomm.

make a slope with the parametic eq, reverb, cho and run it through track compression, you have to play it by ear to get well rounded tones

For pulsar users I can strongly recommend to get the Adern Flexor modules for the modular.

I find the envelopes in that to be something really extra, and I never heard anything like them.

Otherwise the orbitone Real03, also for pulsar, is very good.

VSTi's i have problem getting good bass with, and the VB-1 sounds tight and is used by many, but lacks a bit of depth IMO.

hey i just tried VB-1 & and with a little help from Waves MaxxBass it sounds very good  :)

only anoying thing is that picking sound  :(

208907[/snapback]

I used to hate that picking sound, but I noticed that that mid pick.. which you can almost get rid of or at least round out a little bit using the damper... is what makes your bassline detectable on shitty systems and headphones with little-to-no bass response.

Maxxbass will help a lot, but a good 8 or 10 band parametric eq will help a lot more. run a low pass on it to cut out the highs (ie that picking sound) and then run the Q up on your other parameters to about 30-50 and very carefully put rises and dips for a tighter EQ... otherwise your bassline will sound too muddy, or hollow. tight compression is also very key.

but keep in mind you'll probably end up having to do the same thing on your kick drum to tune them together.

bomm.

oh, to any non cubase users that are using vst interfaces. if you wish a copy of vb-1, it's a very small dll file that I can e-mail you very easily. just drop me a line.

clone@shadowplay.net

Right now i just i got home from newyears-evening/night/next morning & my ears are really wasted after beeing at the local psy-club most of the night, but once i get in the cubase-mood again, i will surely check it out (the vb-1 bass using 10 band eq)

Anyway, Happy new year to everyone, cheers from Denmark :D

For the longest time my bass sound was the thing that frustrated me more than anything. I just couldn't seem to get the sound I wanted and it was really pissing me off. Then I got the NI Komplete bundle and found the oh so lovely Pro-53. It took me a bit to get things just right, but man it sounds so good now. Now the bass is the best part of my tracks. I highly suggest any NI software and the Pro-53. Great sounding stuff.

Also, it would really help to read up on subtractive synthesis. You don't have to be a genius when it comes to it, but to understand the principles of it will make a huge difference in your capabilities to create great sounding bass right from your synth. EQ and compression definitely help, but the sound itself is by far the most important element and understanding why and how to create it will save you a lot of time and a lot of frustration.