I want "Super Ambient"

Ormion

I realized that the ambient I love most is this extremely chilled and relaxing style with atmospheric ethereal sounds and the most important without percussion at all!

I'll give you some examples:

TIP-Under The Overtones (the first half) No melodies,no kick, just smooth sounds floating around.

OOOD-Hartley's Ambient Jam (the second half)

UVX-Mandrax

You can add also Optic Eye-Anacoluthon

I tried a lot of artists but most of them are Shpongle-style or they using tribal percussion and vocals.

Any ideas?

Robert Rich

Brian Lustmord

They made one album together called Stalker, amazing piece of music.

There is also Brain Eno - On Land with similar structure you are looking for or Robert Henke - Floating Point or album by Steve Roach, Reyes and Saiz called Earth, but there are some tribal patterns inside that album...;)

Check out Zvuki Belovodya.

It's all about floating sounds and soundscapes. Perfect to put on after a hard day in school, or at work. Altho I haven't found it in any store I only have it on mp3. It's a promo from 2003 so I wonder if it will ever get released. Anyway, it's the best floating-sounds-only-album I've ever heard.

STEVE ROACH - THE MAGNIFICENT VOID

one of electronic music's finest hours, and the best work of pure electronic soundscape ambient ever

an incredible electronic symphony that will take you to far edges of the universe, or the complete nothingness, or whatever your imagination comes up with ;)

once you're used to it (I hated it at first, it takes patience and lots of listening), you will realize it isn't really that dark or scary... you can just put it on and completely get lost in the vastness of the void... perfect for sleeping as well

there's so much more going on than you'd think at first listen. analazy the first track and see how subtlely he plays with sounds and manipulates them...

a work of infinite depths, of incredible beauty, of contrast between light and darkness, harmony and disharmony, the work of a genius

ok, did I praise it enough already?

(note: I really have to be in the mood for it to be able to enjoy this music. Best way is in bed with headphones)

maybe check out ishq... some of their stuff is amazing..

but

"and the most important without percussion at all! "

omg, I know its all about taste, but how comes, man?! hahaha

percussion is just so great =)

Some artists to try out...

Steve Roach, Tetsuo Inoue, Global Communications (especially 7614), Ashera, Shuttle 358, Jeff Pierce, Steve Reich (for "classical" ambient... especially Music for 18 Musicians & Drumming), Toru Takemitsu (e.g. raintree), Aphex Twin selected ambient works vol.2, Moby (on his ambient cd in Everything is Wrong ltd. edition, and maybe Moby Ambient though I haven't heard it).

Lots of artists on Em:t records old stuff also do this kind of music ( e.g. Gas, Miasma, Woob...)

really the list is endless, but there are some starting points... (thanks to Epic Automata for several introductions...)

bomble

Saafi Brothers and Synaesthesia are both great, but they both have percussion, and Ormion was looking for percussion-less ambient.

Here's my picks from my collection:

TIPWorld - Twelve compilation. Most of the tracks here are beatless ambient.

Ornament - Bleu. Very deep ambient, occasionally a hint of rhythm, kinda reminds me of Biosphere.

Don't forget oldschool Tangerine Dream. Check out Phaedra.

It's just a single track, but surely one of the most beautiful: Amorphous Androgynous - Mountain Goat.

HUVA Network - Distances has some nice contemplative ambient tracks, e.g. Time Circles.

Interchill Record's Floatation compilation is really really good.

Padmasana's self titled EP on Dakini; 3rd track Holistic Resonance is pure floatiness.

Mystery of the Yeti #1 1st and 3rd tracks! And the first track on Yeti part 2, by Process.

Anybody ever played the 1st person shooter Quake? Trent Reznor did the soundtrack, and it's spooky dark ambient.

an interesting record label i found that specializes in the stuff: http://www.councilofnine.co.uk/

I got Maitreya - Telluric waves from there and it's pretty interesting, organic, constantly changing sound.

Phew, ok, that's all i can think of right now.

I am very surprised there

is no mention of Pete Namlook

(www.2350.org)

Tetsu Inoue is another good one,Biosphere,

Rapoon is good, I am not sure how

to classify them...very hypnotic music

but tribal so you may have to get past

the minimal drums.

always

Future Sound Of London-"Lifeforms"

I would like to add another

vote for the tip compilation

simply titled "Twelve"

--this is good stuff,some percussion

on the first couple tracks...Im generally

not too fond of what passes itself

of as ambient from a lot of the psytrance

labels but this is good.

and if you are up to something to really

take you to places in yourself

that are unknown I would

suggest Merzbow for

a sonic exorcism.

try "go to sleep" by healer and Doof's "grandchester meadows remembered". But be warned... they'll make you doze off and merge you out of time and out of mind beyond reality.

I also recommend that you tune into "cryosleep" ambient radio channel on your winamp (add media)

-_-

This morning, a grey-blue fog was over my city and i sat down by the water and stared into emptiness while listening to "under the overtones" by TIP, and i gotta tell you.... i felt like a painting or a poem inside. it was just such and incredible sense of serenity and peace. :)

some more favorites

Tetsu Inoue - Ring of Power

Lustmord - Metastatic Resonance

Klaus Schulze - Bayreuth Return

Jonn Serrie - Fantasy Passages

Stars of the Lid - Music for Twin Peaks Episode #30 part 1

Brian Eno & Robert Fripp - Wind On Water + Evening Star

Pete Namlook, Klaus Schulze & Bill Laswell - Obscured by Klaus part 6

enjoy

Mike Ink's "Gas" project is my ambient favourite (try the album "Pop" for a really nice soothing ride).

He currently owns his own techno label in Cologne, called Kompakt records. Each year around x-mas they release a compilation of nice beatless ambient tracks, called "pop ambient", the most recent (just released) is "pop ambient 2005". Amazing, beautiful, yet also very intimate and emotional.

Alex Paterson (The Orb) is a great fan of their releases, so if you don't take my word for it, take his!

Since I discovered this stuff I almost never listen to psy-ambient anymore.

Oh, and you can get it on vinyl too!

I just had the new hesuis dome - farewell Waltz from Psy Harmonics!

That's exactly where you are looking for, perfectly chilled music, with soft floating sounds without any rhytm...

It will be soon available at Saikosounds :)