A good soundcard to get?

Any ideas for a good soundcard that would aid in music making, and is not that expensive?

206604[/snapback]

Well you don't say how much you've got to spend or the application, so here's a few thoughts from me. (click on the bold for more info)

If you want a cheap laptop interface then the Edirol UA-20xis around £100 at the moment. It's 2 in and 2 out, the inputs can be switched between line level and mic level. However because it's USB 1.1 the latency can only really be switched down to 10ms making it not so good for live use. As a basic card though I found it worked great.

The next up from that is the Terratec Phase 24Firewire at £179. I've not used one myself but the older Phase 24 got a lot of good writeups.

I know a lot of people like the M-Audio M-Audio FW-410 at around £225 now. One thing to watch out for, although it says it has 4 in, 10 out that's really only 2 in 8 out unless you have external converters around.

Finally on the portable range, I really like the Edirol FA101 firewire interface at £299. Thats 10 in, 10 out (again really 8 in, 8 out without converters).

Both the FA101 and FW410 come with 2 preamps for mics etc.

Outside of the external interface the M-Audio range is good as well, I've used the M-Audio Delta 44 myself, 4 in and 4 out for £115, the Delta 66 is a bit more expensive and after than you could go all the way up to the Delta 1010 for £340.

All the prices are from Turnkey.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Thats what I meant to say !  I guess I'm meaning that if you want to use those for recording Audio you need an external D/A ?

Andy

207136[/snapback]

Yeah or a digital mixer. I use it to record into my other computer that has a digital input. It takes some routing, but it works :)

Totally agree with MOTU, thats why I asked how much money that could be spent :)

207196[/snapback]

The new Behringer BCA2000 is USB 2.0 24/96 and Behringer do a fantastic product for what you pay them, don't let the price throw you, they are brilliant - the proverbial steal. I dunno what the price is but in Oz it is $500 retail, which you can shave 20% off if you know how to talk to salespeople. The only issue is it's size, it's larger than other interfaces, because it has 100mm motorised faders.

Otherwise, spend the cash and get the Novation X-Station, cos then you have controllers as well as audio in 1 unit and it can run on rechargeable batteries.