2. CATLA - Minimal Disaster

3. DARK NEBULA - Cleopatra Cannonball

4. PSYSIDE - Pandoras Box

5. JELLY HEADZ - Escaliburs night

6. AZAX SYNDROM - Evils Force

7. PSYFACTOR - 666

8. DERANGO - Time Trap

9. IBEX - Devil is in detail

So Inpsyde media has returned (their first release was with the winners of the first psynews contest, remember that? ah the memories ;) ). However this time they deliver us a dark night psy compilation.

The comp starts out with a track by Penta ... I like this artist a LOT but I must say that he kindof dissapointed me with the lastest stuff released on comps... or maybe he's saving the best stuff for his upcoming album? ;)

Azax Syndrome is back with a track... which is a little too much in the "dark trance formula" for my taste... I've already said this, this shit's been the same for 3 years now, it's time for a change :)

there's also a track from Psyside !!!! Ah this also brings some memories since Psyside was one of the main acts at the first and last psynews party ever. I discovered them then and was hooked on their distinct melodies. After a few years absence they release a new track, faster paced than their older stuff but keeping those killer distinctive melodies!! Hope a new album will come soon :)

Another one of my fave acts is on too, Dark Nebula (actually looking back I think the very first dark trance track I've ever liked was Black Beauty by him). However I didn't think much about this track... yes, it's dark, fast and pumping but something's missing to make it distinct from the other 1001 dark, fast and pumping trance tracks out there.

then on to a track from Catla , never heard of this guy (or these guys?) but they deliver one of the best tracks on this comp!! Contrary to the name, this track isn't minimal at all, it has a really crazy melody kicking in which makes me think that my brain has been hijacked by robots or something ;)

Jelly Headz is aparently one of the most critically acclaimed dark trance artists at the moment, however I find he does nothing new then use the same "dark trance formula" over again...

Derango is the WORST track here IMO... nuff said...

Ibex has a pretty good track... it has a sample from what I found THE scariest movie when I was a kid ( The Omen ). So this track had the merit of kindof playing with my subconscious (you know, samples which trigger past forgotten memories and such...). Well I hope I'll never hear this track when on acid cause then it could really cause some damage to my brain :)

Conclusion Lately I was rambling about dark trance following the same "formula" that was set by Parvati's First Trip comp in 2001 and this is no exception... Personally I find there's a need for change in this style... However I found this comp to be less "formulaic" than Lhiannon Sidhe (and thus better ;) )

8/10

• 1 year later...

V/A - THERE IS NO TOMORROW

INPSYDE MEDIA RECORDS

2004 (updated 2008)

Posted Image

1. Penta - In the night, in the dark

2. Azax Syndrom - Evils Force

3. Psyside - Pandoras Box

4. Dark Nebula - Cleopatra Cannonball

5. Catla - Minimal Disaster

6. Jelly Headz - Escaliburs night

7. Psyfactor - 666

8. Derango - Time Trap

9. Ibex - Devil is in detail

V/A - There is no tomorrow is the first dark Psytrance compilation I've bought. It's also quite impressive. I'm not sure why Lemmi's list is different above. Psyshop and Saikosounds have two different track list (titles in different places) to date. My track list on the album is as follows.

1. Penta - In the night, in the dark is a real epic, creative, and engaging opening. I like how the sample from Phantoms (horror film) extends to the growing darkness. This one's dynamic, filled with much development throughout. Great track! B+

2. Azax Syndrom - Evils Force is filled with slam/bang echoes amongst chaos, a la dungeon/haunted castle, good voice samples, and an aggressive, driving rhythm. The climactic/angry tone is convincing; mixing atmophere "reverse shift effects" compliment a dark track loaded with tortured souls on acid. B

3. Psyside - Pandoras Box starts off very twisted, crunchy, and catchy. It then breaks out, takes off, and goes driving. Surrounded by psy sounds, a distorted melody/sound sort, and more, the song is pretty good. Coupled with altered, female samples as if someone is in pain, crying in agony. It's pretty disturbing stuff actually. The aggressive rhythm flows perfectly with the rest of the album. The last third has an extremely catchy, echoed sound effect that plays to the beat like a tune. Great work. B+

4. Dark Nebula - Cleopatra Cannonball is exactly that, a cannonball that begins in space. The artists more visual and atmospheric/dark work is alive and healthy here. However the voice samples get a little over done IMO. The melody work towards the final third stands out; I really like it. Overall a solid, but nothing really impressive per say track. B

5. Catla - Minimal Disaster starts out strong, with a hornets nest of buzzing insects before a powerful clash echoes across the senses. The first mechanic melody or sorts arrives around one-minute into the track. It's good. Car sounds quickly approach the front, a reversal effect with the sound wave that works extremely well to the ignited sound effects and movement. Voice samples reflect children in chaos, as if in Poltergeist (the little girl lost in the television screen, though these appear to be from some other horror film). This is another strong big daddy with long legs! It's dark and driving mad. Good track. B

6. Jelly Headz - Escaliburs night is another crunchy and driving dark psy number, though this has a funny child voice sample in the middle. I'm least impressive with the sound/melody and direction work throughout this number relative to previous songs. The atmospere is solid, but the melody/sound work is twisted and psychedelic without being nearly as gripping as previous numbers. Decent track. C+

7. Psyfactor - 666 appears less ambient/atmosphere focused and dives towards the psy-work around the driving beat. Again, I'm not grabbed by the melody/sound work. Around 3:08 gets better, a melody appears and steers the song into a more refreshing direction. THe interlude around 3:35 is curious too. The music returns more psychedelic than before, coupled with twisted and skipped effects. Some key changes would have been great here, though the pads/bass line is manipulated. All of these alterations make a technically effective piece of work. I simply miss the dark and driving rhythmic work in previous tracks, before track 6. The last several minutes have a haunting melody that is pretty good. Decent track. B-

8. Derango - Time Trap is a strong, gripping and psychedelic rider filled with crunchy anger and atmosphere. After Tumult, I went back to hear this, a song that actually as some dark melody tunes in the 2:00 to 3:00 section. THey really compliment the crazy textures and atmosphere and give me something catchy to hang on and groove to. Great track! B+

9. Ibex - Devil is in detail is so dark-EVI. Wicked sounds, melody and/or chime...whatever that echoed sound is that kicks in and repeats right after the opening sample. B

In conclusion, this is a VERY well done dark psytrance compilation. I actually have yet to hear a better one.

Favorite tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9

B+

Samples

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=3719

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ime/ime1cd006.html

• 2 years later...

This is to date, the most solid dark Psytrance compilation I have heard. I am hearing it right now as I write this. It's great. Sure I'd love to hear a better one. If anyone knows of something unquestionably stronger (compilation-wise) I'd love to hear it.

Anyway, I thought they were making a sequel. ? :unsure:

• 13 years later...