Where to start?

Hello...

so guys, here´s the thing.. I always wanted to try to make music (specially ambient), but my computer just sucked too much.. now I will get a new computer this coming week, and I would like to start fiddling with music-making... I used to play the piano when I was a kid, but I dont remember shit.. probably if I take a few lessons, or just start doing it on my own, I get the hang of it again, at least a little..

so where should I start? What softwear would it be nice to start? Fruity loops? What version? and I just read an interview from bluetech, and he says he uses almost only software, and he really likes Reaktor.. is that a good one for me to use? What about plugins, can I get good ones, are they easy to find?

another thing.. (sorry for my ignorance) but most artists use keyboards to play (not the computer ones.. I mean the piano-like ones).. So is that necessary ? How do you connect that to the computer?

any other hints and tips you guys might have, please say

thanks

another thing.. (sorry for my ignorance) but most artists use keyboards to play (not the computer ones.. I mean the piano-like ones).. So is that necessary ? How do you connect that to the computer?

206540[/snapback]

Keyboard makes it easier to make melodies, especially if you already have some experince with keyboards/piano. You connect it with a midi cable to you sound card's midi-in or you can also attach it to the joystick port with a suitable cable. There are also keyboars that work with USB.

i think it depends, when i got into stuff i got midi controller because i thought thats what i needed but without any piano chops i never used it.

reaktor or reaktor sessions is great because there is sooo much available for it, but at the same time its almost daunting.

your best bet might be fruity 5 and disco dsp.

I'm not really a producer myself, but when I do I get by using a virtual midi-setup on my MAC. Try midikeys on versiontracker if you're on the same system, otherwise a goooogle search would come up with something, I'm sure. If you're just interested in producing for kicks, a virtual keyboard is cheap or free, and is great if all you need to do is lay down a melody or bassline.