Best year for Psy-Trance?

Ormion

The best year for Psy?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. The best year for Psy?

• 1990-1993

i agree with adam.. 2003 was quite crappy.. but this year is even worse i think! the (imo) superb techtrance-trend started to fade off after 2002 and is today nothing but a pale shadow of what it used to be.

the full-on-market is ever growing and comebacks of old-schoolers doing their take on full-on have been very dissapointing and tragic.

the joy i find is that 2004 was the year when people actually started to believe in a new era of great trance.. sure, there have been some people releasing good melodic trance the past few years, but when an act like chi-ad couldnt even get a contract for his album, things looked very misty. but _at last_ newcomers with fresh ideas, inspiration and, maybe most important, with help from people doing the hard administrative work because of love for the music and not for the money, are now popping up here and there to share their music with the people. i think its up to us now.

even if if you doesnt like the album 100% and you think the youngsters arent as perfected as your fav act you constantly keep measuring with (yes filteria vs pleiadians), BUY THE ALBUM cause the intentions are there.

if labels see that you can make money out of other subgenres than full-on they might give some other kid with fresh ideas a chance..

sorry for not sticking to the topic.

well it can be a year when their fav albums were released.

206349[/snapback]

Yes of course, but then the real question is : Can this year be prior to their coming to the scene ?

Example : if I discovered Psy Trance in 2001 with the excellent sound production of the time, is it possible that I anyway prefer the "old sounds" of 1995 ?

J.

This has been the best year ever for progressive, but 1995/1996/1997 was quite kind to Goa trance...  I couldn't pick a single year really.

206445[/snapback]

I second that. Great year for Progressive! Human Blue, BLT, Son Kite, FreQ, Saikopod, Prometheus and Vatos Locos. Need i say more?

This year finally the groove met with melodies and in some cases it even turned out psychedelic. Something that the prior years hardly had. Everybody were so busy to make it Housey and Groovy.

The standout album would be BLT's. The structure is totally progressive but the BPM and the energies are totally full-onish.

Shame though that not much ppl appreciated that kind of diversity and Yuli decided to quite the bizness. :(

97 / 98 , when i started listening to the genre... nothing can top the good ol' stuff

I have listened to psychedelic music and trance since 1993, and my vote goes for 1997 - the mighty Matsuri records was at its peak, Transient, TIP, Spiritzone, Blueroom, Flying Rhino, Koyote & Dragonfly were turning out blistering compilations and albums. I suppose that it was the best year for the UK scene as far as I remember (and I was at the right age to be appreciating it!)

Some other examples of why 1997 was spot-on (totally subjective opinion of course):

Hallucinogen's Lone Deranger

Astral Projection's Dancing Galaxy

Juno's Bible of Dreams

Colorbox's Train to Chroma City

Prana's Geomantik

Green Nun's Rock Bitch Mafia

OOOD's Alive

Pleidians' IFO

TIP 3D

Transients' Dance Trance & Magic Plants

Plus the UK party scene was fiery... Enlightenment, Pendragon, Omnipresence etc Parties at Tyssen Street. and the New Year's eve party at the Paradiso, Anjuna was the most powerful party I have ever been to (once it finally got going that is...)

Happy memories... but I don't live in the past... there's been plenty more highlights since, and I hope there'll be plenty more to come...

bomble

Wel, it depends of what you are talkin about: best year for party or beat release.

For me as i live in eastern europe and things happen 1-2 years late in that days best party was in 2000. But i think everybody know 1997-1998 beat albums made :lol:

love 1998 cause I believe some of the best tracks ever were released then for me...It is also my starting goa year so that makes it very subjective :)

before 1998 also enjoy that continuim of melodic trance... non bad releases... only minimal wasn't good at at all before 2000

2000,2001,2002 wasn't my cup of tea... not melodic at all and if they were melodic it didn't sound serious enough for me and very cheap... still liked the upcoming stronger progressive sounds that replaced those weak minimal releases <2000...

2003 sucked... the beginning of non intilligent morning fullon... that typical formula was invented but everybody just created goa and was happy if it sounded fast and hard... most of them very repetitive & no story tellers at all...

at the year 2004 everybody used that typical morning fullon formula but some of them reallized that It could be better & created some very strong releases... Very striking that the expierienced goa artist were on the top... releases like 'cosmic expierence' from electric universe & space tribe showed us that fullon was more than strong kicks and created travelling storytelling waves that I haven't heard since <2000...

from now we see that new talent rises... lani, misted muppet, bizzare contact... really created their own sound withint the year 2004... it is true that in the year 2004 lot's of releases sound the same & most fullon artist just 'copy - paste'... but any retro (old skool) lover has to admit lots of crap has been released back in the days :rolleyes: ... but those releases nobody talks about...

could write 10 pages about this subject but could to eat know :D

hmmm. 1997 was full of excellent releases, although 1998 had some nice residue from the artists involved with the success of 1997 (1997 was just a great year full stop, as for 1998 why didn't 'Beast' do a follow-up?). 2003 was probably the worst year, so much so that I didn't listen to much psy that year, not really any new releases when I did - I was digesting the yumminess of the OTT projects and still very much in love with the first Shpongle and Younger Brother. 2000-01 was good with the whole Spiral Trax and Medium thing going on (ah, Vibration 3!).

2004 has been excellent - This year has seen more division, which I think is good, aslo, a bit of a renaissance for melody. While Techtrance is in a decline, Progressive Trance has been in quite a productive/mutational state. I often find with the Trance that it is 1 good year/1 bad year although patterns break all the time :D

e.g Bug Funk, Kindzaza-or-whatever-the-name, Winter Demon, Psychotic Micro

to England varying from Scorb, NRS, RAM to Organik Records to all the good Prog to the forward evolution of Finland and the decline of GMS/TIP/Cheese and all the other Full-on Stalwarts.

2005 shall prove interesting :) Roll on new Shpongle (A test for Simon Posford).

I think that 2005 will be entirely fresh year, after all these years. I believe that after this melodic come back, artists will go back to the roots but with better and fertile soil. ;) I believe that psychadelia will be again revived and that full on will take other direction. I don't mind full on if it is intelligent, psychedelic one, like 3D Vision stuff or Fractal Glider but if it is hyperproductive non sense then it tend to be too much like what has been going on in 2003 and 2004. I don't find this year to be that extraordinary but I am sure next one will be the best one in last 5 years. Let's wait and see. B)