Good synth to buy for goa trance?

I agree that some old analogue synths can be a bit tired by now, but if you want a good synth cheap I would consider the Sequential Circuits - Pro One.

I haven't checked prices on those for a long time, but the was going for about $300-$350 last time I saw one.

Great sounding 2 osc synth with external audio input and amazing modulation capabilities.

You do need to have a CV converter or find one with built in which will bump up the price a bit.

At least you will get much more original sounds from that instead of a virus.

Some old ensonic synths is really interesting sounding as well and very cheap.

The Mirage sampler and the ESQ-1 is the ones I had experience with.

The Mirage is a old 8bit sampler with analogue filters if you want some real fat lo-fi grit.

The ESQ-1 is a synth with digital and sample osc's and analogue filters with capabilities of making some very unique sounds.

And they won't sound tired in the ocsillators like many old analogues, but still have the fattness of analogue filters.

The main reason the ESQ-1's are so cheap even if they sound great is that they are buggy especially when it comes to MIDI.

But if you record them down to HD it should be much problem.

I concur with Bhudda-whats-his-name re:MicroQ I have one and it is fantastic and really cheap. Also editor is available one web.

Also, Software wise, there is z3ta by rgcAudio. Fairly Cheap. and amazingly flexible - best LFO's in the business.

I have owned a Nord before, owned the Rack 2 for 3 years - Don't bother.

Have a look at the Korg MS2000 or The Alesis Ion/Micron - The Micron looks really promising and has been said to be the most authentic modelling of Analog yet.

As for Analog Synths, have a look at the evolver from Dave Smith Instruments or maybe start building one with Parts from Doepher or Analogue Systems - Newer, More Stable than old Synths and more parts and they sound really good. Process, Tristan, Infected Mushroom, Prometheus have them in their setup. Modular can be as simple or as complex as your finances &/or imagination can allow.

in fact, whatever you choose, get z3ta as well it's that cheap.

The main reason the ESQ-1's are so cheap even if they sound great is that they are buggy especially when it comes to MIDI.

But if you record them down to HD it should be much problem.

206120[/snapback]

Yeah, tell me about it. I have one that i used as my main keyboard untill it started sending crazy midi messages whenever i pushed i key. Now i have no working midi keyboard. :lol:

But i still use it for alot of sounds and stuff, it sounds great and is definetly worth the 150$ i payed for it.

Have a look at the Korg MS2000 or The Alesis Ion/Micron - The Micron looks really promising and has been said to be the most authentic modelling of Analog yet.

206169[/snapback]

I've been using an MS 2000 for a few years now and I'm quite happy with it's depth, and fexibility, the only problem i have with it, is the BPM never lines up perfectly with sequencing programs clocking. Making mod sequencing difficult to line up for long periods.

but yeah anyway, lol.. very good for crunchy, textured leads, airy pads, and tonnes of weird atmospherics and quirky hits. highly recommended.

bomm.

if you mean you want to make goa as opposed to more modern psy i think you would be better off getting some of the older synths used that were more in use during the day. the kurzweil k2000 is probly the best deal for the old school sound. I they go for 400-450 used on ebay. It was kind of the holy grail / super expensive synth during the mid 90s but its been somewhat forgotten about. Alot of simon p. trademark sounds are pretty easy to get out of it. The rack is cheaper and has double the outs, so i would go for the rack version. Also, there is a software version of the novation basstation now, thats a pretty standard old school synth.

I think the best deal for newer synths is easily the micro q(about 350 used). The nord micro modular would make a good compliment to any other synth too, they are about 200 used and there is 20,000 patches for it online.

I wouldnt get a virus, they are still rather expensive as the used price has really held its value.

The problem with a real analog beyond being a bit flakey operationally sometimes is that if thats the only synth you have your not going to be able to make more than one layer at a time with it. To me, VA can model analog close enough that its not worth the trade off when it comes to ease of use to make it worth getting on.