Deviant Species - In the Hands of the Randomiser

Basilisk

Nice review. So what´s left to say? This, along with R.A.M., has to be the best album I´ve bought in a while (and I´ve bought many :P ). Very driving and pounding tracks with nice percussion work, even kind of full on in some sort of way, yet quite minimal, dark and techy. I like this album even more than their previous one, it´s more energetic. Thank God that there are the guys from Ambivalent recs who have never disappointed us so far. Huuuge respect for this release :)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice review. So what´s left to say? This, along with R.A.M., has to be the best album I´ve bought in a while (and I´ve bought many  :P ). Very driving and pounding tracks with nice percussion work, even kind of full on in some sort of way, yet quite minimal, dark and techy. I like this album even more than their previous one, it´s more energetic. Thank God that there are the guys from Ambivalent recs who have never disappointed us so far. Huuuge respect for this release  :)

205895[/snapback]

I've been listening to this album for almost a year now and all I can say that this is one of the best psytrance albums I've heard  B)

365196[/snapback]

this is without a doubt the album i enjoyed the most that year. and i still listen to it! it doesn't bore me :) hugely underrated album this one is :)

deviant species rule, even if it's only one person now :)

365228[/snapback]

That is so true guys!

After having the album for a year in mp3's I finally decided to buy it and placed my order on psyshop.com :) This is the only tech-trance album that I really like. Most of them have only two-three tracks that I like and the rest of them do nothing to me or even annoy me. This on the other hand is great through all of its length. Most of the tracks are rather minimal with very much attention paid to the simpliest details - percussions, bassline and fx-es. As Basilisk pointed out, also the background is very interesting - those orchestral and cinematic ambiences just make the difference between this album and the rest of dark-psy.

I don't know... It's dark, hounting and scarry in some places, yet it feels so beautiful, smooth & liquid.

In general psy-trance terms it gets 4/5 from me (which means very good, above average), but in the tech-trance genre it's easily 5/5 (classic, a must-have).

• 4 months later...

nothing to say about Deviant Species . its another level in trance .

its complete acid . complete outdoor , complete paranormal .

i love the breaks .. the automation ... wolllllll ...light speed .....

top album ... you must have the original one .!

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This album is exactly the reason why i fell in love with psytrance with a harder edge. The title track is the best example of how to combine techno and psy. too fuking good. one of the best albums out there if you're a dark psy ko nut :clapping:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

What an excellent album, I saw this guy live and he's a great DJ. His music is just as bloody great, I wish he was still making stuff. So many great tracks, no one bad one. Pincusion man, The Retinal circus, In the hands of the randomizer and the entrapment of john dory have to be the best ones though. Retinal circus is just so sublime... and the entrapment of john dory has to be THE saddest psy trance track I've ever heard. I want this played at my funeral!

Shame they didn't make any more albums:

Hatch was great

Quest For Balojax was brilliant and

In The Hands Of The Randomiser was out of this world.

With that kind of progression what would a 4th have been like?

• 1 year later...

This is genuinely a forgotten, or at least neglected, masterpiece of psytrance. It is an album described by the color gray, or perhaps a murky brown, it is a vision of a Lovecraftian universe, in complete disregard for the feeble human morality, for the absurd discerning of purpose in a world ruled by the great randomiser.

By a beautiful homogeneity, every track is of equally high level, which is a rare fact, and a signal of brilliance, because: Any savvy nerd can make a descent, perhaps good, perhaps brilliant track, given enough tries and experience. But in the end, there will always be a kind of yield attributed to the output of the artist, he might be able to discern himself among his work, and to the outside show himself as a master, but to himself, the outcome of producing a good track is always no more than a statistical variable, and the probability of it occurring, seems to me, to be profoundly related to whatever happens in the artist brain as he produces, to his level of brilliance. That is why, for example, Posford demands such respect, because mostly everything he does has an undeniable quality to it, while the same is not true for others (perhaps most), who have just a few great pieces among their work. A short detour, which I'll humor myself with not deleting.

Verdict: A classic.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

One of the albums I go still go back to. I even bought Advent of the Blue Radula from 2018 (which was a good album but not as good as thus one) and I rarely buy psytrance at all these days. 

• 1 month later...