Dark Soho - Why no posts about their new album?!?!

Jon Cocco

The NEW Dark Soho album titled Light In the Dark recently released in November of this year and no one seems to care?

Dark Soho has always been one of those groups where people are so quick to post their thoughts and reviews, BECAUSE THEIR MUSIC HAS BEEN SO GREAT... and yet I've seen NOTHING on these forums since this album came out about a month ago!

* How come no one seems to be talking about it? Their other two releases were GREAT success hits! Whats up with this third main album?! Has anyone heard or bought this album and what do you think?

I heard their style is less dark since someone left the group. I've streamed mp3's and some sound cool while others sound so-so. Is this new change the reason why no one is mentioning this new album? Is it that bad now that Dark Soho isn't as dark ... or whats the reason for the lack of attention given to this new highly anticapated release??? :blink:

Samples for their new CD right here if anyones interested:

www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/alc/alc1cd013.html

Any thoughts?

No one is commenting because it's crap :) Oh but Dark Soho is evolving, oh but they're moving on... evolving and moving onto crap.

Hehe, that was a bit harsh, but you get the picture.. less dark, more full on... with 2-3 good tracks which I already forgot about...

Btw, I thought Combustion was just alright... but Sun Spot was something else, really... probably in my top10 of all time albums.

I'm getting kinda used to disappointment...

Maybe nobody mentioned it because it´s not worth mentioning it at all (at least for my taste). Their first album was nothing but brilliant, the second was a bit much of clichee but still not really bad, however their new one is plane boring, many of the tracks sound too much like any israeli full on these days. Of course you can read the familiar "killer" statements on Isratrance like on almost every sh## that´s been released. Am I sounding a bit harsh here? Well, didn´t meant to be... :P

Thanks, wow I see.

That really does suck. I was really hoping that this new style or change would at least be a little less negative, but how positive can it be by adding light to Dark Soho? Thats like throwing water on a burning fire, it just KILLS it. The once great image, impression, -- GONE.

They should change their name if they're going to change the once-loved style and horror-gothic, dark musical direction of the group.

I posted on Dark Soho's official site in their guest book a month or two ago saying how I liked their darker style more, but I didn't realize the degree of how disappointed fans would be in general. Based on the samples, several tracks seem to be decent or pretty good, while others are just forgettalbe sounding, but when comparing it to Dark Soho's previous stuff,

I can see the disappointment. People on their own site are saying that their album sucks. Their OWN SITE!!!

It seems that two in every ten like the CD, and most of the fans can't stand it and are moving on to other, better stuff.

You all seem right in that this album is nothing like the others.

They might as well call it something else.

:(

Well, maybe this is too hasty - I don't know yet. I never was a dark soho fan but this album has some cool melodies. It also does have some bland formula-sounding stuff, but who knows? It might grow on ya. Let's not hurtle it into the void so quickly simply because it's not what was expected. The gothic vibe is still there on some tracks!

Then again, maybe it's crap :)

i like the 'indie (rock)' influences on this album, but other than that it isn't really good or special and i also prefer their previous albums.... too bad :(

I don't think its all that bad. Its not that I think its crap or that they have "sold out", its just that its not to suprising to me because musicians style changes all the time. Get over it. At first it didn't appeal to me very much at all, but as I listened to it a couple of times I thought it was actually really good. Just because their style has changed doesn't automatically make them suck.

Also I really loved both Combustion and Sun Spot, but I think that Combustion was just as good if not better then Sun Spot. I think that on Sun Spot half of their tracks were mindless techno stuff that went nowhere (not that it isnt a bad thing sometimes).

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no ... I had to do it. I had to get this album for myself just to listen to it. Here are my current impressions.

For starters, other than the fact that this album hasn't gone over nicely with MOST fans, (if you haven't noticed) the first track is okay and the second track is very repetitive and just boring. There is maybe 1-3 tracks that I can actually say are decent, and one thats pretty good, while many are filler or just plain lacking in something and highly forgettable. The song Long way Home is the pretty good song on the album. It has some very catchy melodies and sounds, its uplifting, upbeat, and not cheesy at all in my opinion. I feel this is the only good track on the album. Magic is also decent and has some catchy melodies. Now, darker, or rather less light tracks are Alien Cream and one other track I can't think of right now, but their not that dark at all. And on a side note, why not just call it Alien Scream, thats sounds so much better than calling it "Alien Cream?. That just sounds strange to me.

Anyway, there are several decent tracks, but COMPARED TO THEIR LAST TWO RECORDS...

What the FUCK?!?! Sunspot and Cumbustion were great! If Dark Soho is going to be light, they should change their name. As far as lighter sounding tracks go, almost all of these aren't even decent for what they are. I can think of one memorable track (Long Way Home) but thats it. And when I think of all the filler on this album in order to get to the one or two better tracks, I figure, why even bother taking the disc out and playing it. I'd rather listen to something where the good and great tracks far oudue the bad or so-so, forgettable ones. Why aren't there more good, melodic catchy songs like Long Way Home? Whats with all the repetitive, uninspired? Many of the tracks on this album seem to lack color, character, enthusiasm, -- they're plain and boring! They need more charisma, melodies, elements that surprise you and / or sound more catchy!!!

With trying to not be too harsh and not biased, but I am a bit biased because I expect much more from them due to their last two albums ... this album isn't as bad as some people have made it out to sound, and it has several nice songs, one thats actually pretty good and quite catchy, but *DAMN* -- its a huge fucking disappointment!

Last words to Dark Soho: Guys, get back to you dark, gothic style fast! Or change your name to something that compensates the light direction or if your going to make lighter stuff make it great, not just 1-3 decent tracks!!!, or stop making music! Jesus, this release album is not good. You can do and have done so much better its hard to imagine that this is coming from the same artists who did Sunspot and Cumbostion! And I wasn't expecting it to be dark, I new the direction currently changed. Even for lighter songs, most of these are so boring and just general souding! They lack substance, imagination, melodies, something my God, to raise them up and make people jump around and cheery and enjoy them! It would have been nice if at least several more tracks on this album were up to par with Long Way Home, that would have at least made this album work better in the style you're doing, the lighter style. Its too bad this album didn't go through a face-life before it came out. Listen to your fans who buy and support your music! And why change a perfect thing! Is the point of this release to fade from the psy-scene?, cause thats the impression you're giving to many fans! The impression that you don't care or make good music anymore, even if you think its good! This is how thousands of people aware of Dark Soho are reacting! Hopefully your next album, if their actually is a next album, will make up for this one. I suggest getting back anyone who left the group who was talented with the darker stuff, and quickly getting started on something worthy of the title Dark Soho. Or just don't make music anymore, or just make music that most of your fans won't like and thus not be fans anymore. Thats what I think after spending 15 fucking dollars because I've always supported you guys. You're very talented and it sucks to see such a disappointment come from you guys.

C or C- out of A

i can honestly say that dark soho are one of my all time fav. groups. untill i heard them i didnt like dark psy at all, but when i heard this special gothic style for the first time i fell in love with it.

i heard the previous album- combustion and followed that i heard their first album sun spot. their new album "light in the dark" is very difrent then the previous albums. its more of a morning album and much less dark, and thats makes me kinda sad.... but, i think there is a real gem in this album called "Long Way Home"

this is just beautiful music! amazing combination betwean dark psy heavy metal and indian otental music. that is the track of the year for me. im waiting that the album will arrive to israel and i'll be the first one to buy it!