Track listing:

01. 11’13” Ishq - Alaya

02. 07’10” Anahata - Shakti

03. 11’19” Zen Mechanics – A New Philosophy

04. 08’28” Jirah - Disconnect

05. 09’10” Agalactia – Monochrome Rainbow Pixie

06. 06’31” Cosmic Fools – Be Yourself

07. 05’09” J.Viewz - Estha

08. 06’11” Son Kite – On Air (MIDIval PunditZ Remix)

09. 07’00” Omar Faruk Tekbilek & Steve Shehan – Ya Bouy (Shulman Remix)

10. 06’29” Eastern Spirit – Under Water (Part One)

Review:

Complete enjoyment for ears and mind…

Though this is only the third release by the Israeli chill label Aleph Zero, Yaniv Shulman & Shahar Bar-Itzhak have already gained massive respect and admiration throughout the world wide trance community for the two outstanding album releases by Shulman and Bluetech. I’m proud to own both, and I consider them highly valuable parts of my chill-out collection… With such a high quality level, my expectation for this, the first Aleph Zero compilation, were high… Let’s find out if they were met…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Ishq – Alaya

Alright – prepare to chill out… And I mean reeeeeally chill out! Frozen really! Ishq is the ambient collective from Cornwall (U.K.) headed by Matt Hillier, and after the critically acclaimed and re-released album Orchid, here’s another quality tune… This is active meditation – virtually beatless, soothing ambient… The sound of the elements: Wind & water… Birds in the background… Subtle choir work… - All ingredients in a very nice, very mellow, breathtaking journey of a track…

#02: Anahata – Shakti

This compilation is a continuous mix, so we slip seamlessly into the next track by Anahata known from some of the old R.T.T.S. Ambient Meditation compilations… We dig a little deeper now, adding more percussion, electro bits and hints of dub… But definitely still downtempo… Check out the characteristic reverb effect used throughout the track… Nice little track!

#03: Zen Mechanics – A New Philosophy

“You start thinking as a new person, and a new philosophy grows inside. You don’t just watch the earth; you start thinking about its problems...” Next up is Zen Mechanics a.k.a. Wouter Thomassen delivering a lengthy track with long organic, floating pads & deep tribal/ritual influences… Subtle synths and dubby beats… I like how this track constantly evolves, yet it maintains its overall spacey feeling… Sweet!

#04: Jirah - Disconnect

Jirah released his melodic full-on debut album last year on USTA, but here we’re treated to a more mellow side of his production skills… Nice guitar-action, electro-dub, subtle percussion and distinct ethnic influences… This is high quality downtempo psy-electronica…

#05: Agalactia – Monochrome Rainbow Pixie

Remember the Agalactia track from the Psychedelic Sparks compilation that was conceived as a result of a track contest @ psynews.org a couple of years back? I haven’t heard anything from Philip Khripkov since then, but he sure hasn’t lost his touch… This track is a palette of dub, electro, chill, electronica, ethnic beats, etc… The pace has quickened and we’re exposed to loads of different genres here, though the focus is still on downtempo… That’s one hell of a flute… And those Irish influences towards the end are very uplifting – it has me smiling! ;o)

#06: Cosmic Fools – Be Yourself

“A wizard is never late. He arrives precisely when he means to.” AFAIK this is the debut for Cosmic Fools… I have no idea who’s behind that moniker, but what I do know is that is one hell of a debut… The first part of the track is something as rare as darkish, yet uplifting downtempo… I really like the soft, gentle melodies on top a very deep, groovy foundation… The female singing is also a nice touch – and even the LOTR samples are pretty cool. Nice track for sure – and remember to “be yourself, let your conscious lead you and follow your heart…”

#07: J.Viewz – Estha

J.Viewz is the alter-ego of Jonathan Dagan from critically acclaimed Israeli downbeat sensation Violet Vision… Everything I’ve heard that he’s been involved in was great and so is this… More string-action here, flute, thick Eastern influences and female, ethnic vocals… Nice – though way too short!

#08: Son Kite – On Air (MIDIval PunditZ Remix)

Son Kite’s On Air is on of my fav’e progressive tunes from 2004 – and this mix by US breaks-n-ambient duo MIDIval PunditZ was included on the single released prior to the album… I immediately fell in love with the remix back then, and kudos to Aleph Zero for including it on this compilation… It fits perfectly! This is nice blend of all kinds of stuff… Dubby breaks, Oriental chanting, Raja flute, sitar, mellow tribal percussion… With the added-value nostalgic Son Kite groove intact! Very nice track!

#09: Omar Faruk Tekbilek & Steve Shehan – Ya Bouy (Shulman Remix)

To my knowledge Turkish ney master Mr. Tekbilek is pretty well-know in the Arab world-music scene and has had tracks featured on well-known ambient compilations like Buddha Bar and Back To Mine… And now, here’s a Shulman remix – and what a track! This is ambient world music with thick, thick Eastern influences and an overall phat ethnic groove… Reminds me of Asura or Kaya Project at times… Very good! According to Shulman, the instrument played here is some kind of Turkish wind instrument similar to the Indian shenhai… Amazing track!

#10: Eastern Spirit – Under Water (Part One)

Last up is Eastern Spirit which also is an up-and-coming act… We’re doing aquatic acrobatics here and the sound of the wet element is indeed present here… As the first track, this is soothing, relaxing, and beautiful ambient… The flute, the deep groove and the long floating pads create a very harmonic platform and underlines the closing statements of a dynamic, stunning journey…

Aleph Zero has done it again… Released the third consecutive masterpiece… That’s a pretty damn good statistic, and there is no doubt in my mind that this compilation will enjoy immediate success throughout the world wide chill-out community – it really deserves it! I will not hesitate to call this compilation essential for any fan of intelligent, soothing, downtempo journey-music and I’m thrilled to give this my highest recommendation… Go get it!

Favourites: 1, 3, 4, 5(!), 6, 8(!), 9(!), 10

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Aleph Zero Records: http://www.aleph-zero.info/NBCeflyer.htm (e-flyer)

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ale/ale1cd003.html

Saiko Sounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4473

Chaos Unlimited: http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/pr...sp?LR=ALEPHCD03

Amboworld: http://www.amboworld.com/cgi-bin/product.asp?LR=ALEPHCD03

Trance Shop: http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/prod...roducts_id=4222

Ultimae: http://www.ultimae.com/imports/index.html?skeud=128

Wirikuta: http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detai...howDetail=66158

yes, it arrived finally.. and its great..

for me the gems are more towards the end, from 5 onwards...

but I like them all =)

• 6 months later...

1. Ishq – Alaya 11:13

2. Anahata – Shakti 7:10

3. Zen Mechanics – A New Philosophy 11:19

4. Jirah – Disconnect 8:28

5. Agalactia – Monochrome Rainbow Pixie 9:10

6. Cosmic Fools – Be Yourself 6:31

7. J.Viewz – Estha 5:09

8. Son Kite – On Air (MIDIval PunditZ remix) 6:11

9. Omar Faruk Tekbilek & Steve Shehan – Ya Bouy (Shulman remix) 7:00

10. Eastern Spirit – Under Water (part one) 6:29

Natural Born Chillers is the first compilation from the rising Israeli Chill-Out label, Aleph Zero Records, which lead by Yaniv Shulman and Shahar Bar-Itzhak. Two guys that you can really trust to find for you the best chill-out tunes, wrap up in a colorful cover and supply the best setup for a pleasant listening. Well, except the home stereo and some additional substances that might even improve your experience. But that’s not what this review is all about.

The compilation kicks off with Alaya by Ishq. The term kick off would be seriously cynical in this case, cause if this track lacks something, kick drum would be it. This is a soft, beatless track, just the stuff you likely to have from Ishq. Nice and chilling opening for the compilation. Next up is Anahata with Shakti. The sleeve mentions some guy by the name of Matte Gillard as the responsible for the tune. I never heard about him, but he sounds a lot like Bluetech, although more on the minimal and dubby side. Very nice track indeed. The next tune is A New Philosophy by Zen Mechanics. This one starts with a rhythm that reminds me a lot Massive Attack’s Sly but continues with more dubby laidback feeling. Next tune was written by Tim McCall aka Jirah. Disconnect continues the same vibe that the Zen Mechanics tune started but with more intricate beat and more twisted sounds. Agalactia is up next with Monochrome Rainbow Pixie. This is the tune that really starts the compilation. Wonderful flute melodies are accompanied by deeper than deep bass and intricate twisted sounds. This tune reminds me OTT a lot and that is nothing but a compliment. One of the highlights of the compilation. Cosmic Fools with Be Yourself are next and although the track’s buildup is very confusing, the guys (and the girl) deliver one of the most emotional tunes of the compilation. The vocals are amazing but unfortunately too repeatetive and unevolving. Good effort though. J Viewz is next with Estha, and I am sorry not to have more words in my English vocabulary to praise his music enough. His music just getting better and better. Which seems nearly impossible to me. This is great but painfully short tune. MIDIval PunditZ are behind the next track which is actually a remix to Son Kite’s On Air tune, which was one of the biggest Progressive Trance hits last year. MIDIval PunditZ skillfully render Son Kite’s euphoric melodies into pleasant sitar and flute lines and lay them on smooth percussion. Lovely tune.

Shulman’s remix to Ya Bouy by Omar Faruk Tekbilek & Steve Shehan is the next tune, and it’s the candy that was kept for the end of the compilation. Shulman’s trademark sonic manipulation are at their best here and interact perfectly with the middle eastern flavored melodies of the original track. This is what I call a great remix. After the previous disappointing Shulman remix for Sub6’s Ra Hey Ya I wasn’t expecting much from this one but I was, surprisingly enough, blown away. Eastern Spirit’s Under Water (Part One) is the closure and it perfectly wraps up the compilation with distant whistles and ethereal pads.

Recommendation: Well, if you are looking for a nice collection of chilled tunes to pass the cold winter peacefully this one is for you. Aleph Zero Records prove once again that they have the best ears in Israel to deliver us chilled beats from around the world.

Favorites: 5!!,6,7!!,8!,9!!

• 9 months later...

This is a very nice chilled out collection of tunes. The ishq tune is great, the zen mechanics tune is great, the j.viewz tune is great, the cosmic fools tune is great, the son kite tune is great. Hell, They're all pretty damn great. I'd recommend this to any chill fans.

• 1 month later...
^_^ I feel this cd is going to pass the the test of time! Just a real gem IMO! I played track 9 (Omar Faruk Tekbilek & Steve Shenan - Ya Bouy (Shulman rmx) at a party last week, it was at a dnb party but it was something people really liked! I think thats symptomatic of this compilation by beeing very divers and and able to acces people's hearts! It has the perfect blend of ethnic vibes and electronic crisp to it :wub:

• 2 years later...

a classic in my chill collection....i find the flow in this one reaches perfection....not a bad track on this one...euh...let me rephrase this: all tracks are awesome....

used to be my favourite one to dose of and fall a sleep after smokin' ....(usually after/during track 2...hehe)

very recommended! :wub: