Filteria - Sky Input

tbe

This is one of masterpieces! Nowdays there's not many real goa-artists anymore. Full respect to filteria!!

236612[/snapback]

Im not big fun of melodic trance but this is something realy special 1 of my favs to

i must say agree with u guys a masterpice old school style something difrent and unique goa rulzzz

9/10 :D

• 2 weeks later...

I listen again and again this album and it's still a killer, each track are very great goa trance, i was totally fallen in love with filteria, now i am totally mad with their killer sound ... i can admit i think this album is the best of the best goa trance album to my eyes .... the best receipt by the best artist :)

keep it up, thanx for all

Maden

• 2 weeks later...

ah yes this one just grows on me more and more each day! After a while I didn't listen to it anymore and then I put it in my CD player again about a month ago... and it sounded like 100 times better than at first!! This truly is my top 2004 pic :)

• 4 weeks later...

This release is great, no matter how much as I try to deny it. :)

It DOES get a bit samey if you listen to the whole album, but individually the tracks are great. At least on first impression. If it passes the test of time remains to be seen. Doesn't beat Juno Reactor's Labyrinth as best of 2004, but then again, nobody does. :lol: Great in it's own right.

And it's still ALMOST an IFO ripoff. ;)

• 1 month later...

listened to it today.

well...

All tracks follow EXACTLY the same formula, even most synths/fx sound identical, there could be some variation i guess.

There are some great moments at all tracks at certain points, but most of the time , the melodies/layers are there just to be there ;) ... it can get really tiring/frustrating after 10-15 minutes of listening.

5.5/10

listened to it today.

well...

All tracks follow EXACTLY the same formula, even most synths/fx sound identical, there could be some variation i guess.

There are some great moments at all tracks at certain points, but most of the time , the melodies/layers are there just to be there ;) ... it can get really tiring/frustrating after 10-15 minutes of listening.

5.5/10

288384[/snapback]

Agree. Each track IS the same, and now afterwards, I can only listen to a few of them because the others are "the same": Navigate, Domestic Modulator & Snuggling Snail.

Guest antic

listened to it today.

well...

Well, some not-so-enthusiastic reviews at last! :)

I have a trouble with that album. Nowadays I download most of the new stuff and then buy what I like, so - after all the hype here - I decided to do just that with Filteria's album. Downloaded it and after listening to the first two tracks I had to turn it of, because my head hurt :o This music is similar to Pleiadians (I love their music BTW), though it's MUCH more chaotic and un-musical. His melodic lines are strange, there are to many ideas at the same time, that do net necesarilly fit well together. All the melodies are too fast, with one note after another - music is also about the gaps between the notes, but I couldn't spot it here. There's just a fast series of sounds, very often quite random to my ears. The accents are placed at the most awkward places and the whole aragement seems to me a little messy.

So, I deleted the mp3s from my HD.

Later on, I read through the rewievs again and though that maybe it's just me, I missed something... Downloaded it again.

And again, after 3 tracks through I deleted it.

This happened againd two more times, and it always ends the same: my head hurts and it disapears from my HD.

I don't like it at all.

I still think it's fantastic, but I agree it can be a bit noisy if you're not in the mood..

But on the dance floor it's really amazing..

• 1 month later...

A friend recomended this album to me. For a long time now I had given up hope of listening to any new releases like the goa oldies which marked my sould and made me a sworn psy trance dancers for the rest of my life. He said listen to this, it's oldskool goa stuff, really. But who believes such words, when all of the groups that were smashing your head against the walls with their melodies back then, managed to infect themselves with amnesia and forgot how to make good tunes.

Well looks like some of my like mined people managed to acquire the skills and do what I've been dreaming for so many years (since 99).

A few of the last posts were not really positive towards the album, understandably. Everyone has their own taste. Even classic albums like IFO, Simon's Twisted, MWNN earth moving the sun,MFG's prophesy, The astral files and the green nuns album were not equally apreciated by everyone.

I usually like a lot of acid in tracks, like someone said, a bit like the old sosmosis stuff, but when the melodies get so well layered one above the other, it makes you feel like a JPG file, puting it in a funnyway, i.e. a " l o s s y " compression of your mind.

Some people claimed that it is a 70 min single track CD. Yes you kind of get that feeling, but I think that's perfect. It's an instant energiser, you play any track, staring from anywhere within that track and you have instant lift of. I wish all music was like this. Imagine turning on the radio and listening to tunes like this on all stations, haha, I am laughing just at the thought of it. Pure noise for the ears of everyone else, a melodic paradise for my flying fantasy. I downloaded all the sampled tracks from his webpage, and palyed them all in a row, 1:30 hour of blessed epilepsy!!!!!

On the other comment, that someone made earlier, that you cannot compare it to IFO, yes he was right, you don't usually compare a debut to a release carrying so much experience on it. But then again, where did all that experience suddently disspaear from etnica/pleiadians/crop circles? When I bought the FOL album I thought, oh great, another IFO album in my collection, the outcome was to listen to it once and get a really long dissapointed face on me. I never listened to it again for 3 years. Also if you expect to see an identity on each of the filteria tracks, you won't see it easily. I still don't really distinguish between the IFO tracks, I only know it's those fantastic tunes from that very old cracker album I once bought. And yes there is always space for improvement, and I think Yiannis is improving fast, but then again where was the improvement we all expected from etnica in their second album?

I have two more messages to pass out through this post:

1. Everyone that used to make good goa trance like this and is now bored to death to do it again, they should know that these sounds are what won our hearts in the first place, and I don't mean only the pleiadians IFO style, but the music that was generally produced by each individual act during 95-98. I challenge them to take us apart once more with their skillful melodies and basslines like Filteria is doing now in their place.

2. Filteria, do what you do best mate, crash the dancefloor with your melodic menace, if people don't like it let them make their own stuff. I believe the dancefloors are really missing tunes like yours at the moment, so I say anihilate the groups that so much dissapointed us in the last few years. Hit them now that their weak, we will follow!!!!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING 7 YEARS FOR THIS MOMENT.

Oh and by the way, stuff your unreleased tracks from your site in a few CDs and sell them please, you might not think they're good enough, but they're s**t on the face of Astral's last 2 albums (just to mention one example).

P.S. Anyone that liked the tunes in ths album should check out some Swiss releases called "goa syndrome" by "cygnetic records", made back in 2000 or so. Mostly Imperial Project's stuff (aka Ken Da Lyud, hope I am spelling that correctly). He was promoting them as free mp3s once, but they are really good too justifying once more that good music is made by heart and not by desire for money. Give them a go, and if you cant find them any more, send me an email, I got as many as I could of the net, and order a few printed CDs too.

Oh namo Natarajamo ....

See you all on the dancefloor!

I really like Filteria's music. Although, like the lot of you have already pointed out, the tracks we are talking about here are indeed way better than the album they're on.

" ... it doesn't create the need for more cause there is nothing left... "

That is just so true, although it is not necessarily a bad thing. When I listen to a song from this album, I really feel satisfied afterwards. There is, like you said, no need for more. For a while. :)

Great music Fille! Håll den svenska fanan högt! :D

Great and refreshing music, I like it, but.....his music floats around those climatic moments, and I must say he does deliver some great uplifting moments. But the problem with this multiple highs is that you can get tired of them, and its natural, its too intense.

Thats why I should say that somehow I felt some songs needed more structured downers (you know, the time between peaks). But hey, after all is jannis first album, I expect greater advancements in his forthcoming stuff

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Playing a track from this album during the most intense part of a set = mindblowing amazingness.

Playing a track like this to build tension = yer off yer rocker sonny.

Does that mean this fails as an album? Not considering I walked around with a big stupid grin on my face yesterday afternoon listening to it. I can imagine the brain beginning to feel a little tender in case of over-listening however. Health warning needed maybe? Prolonged exposure may cause head explosions?

And BTW the break just before each kick-in on operation pulse... *Mmmmmpwah!*

/kisses fingers with palm closed and then opens palm skyward

• 3 weeks later...

This is not house :lol:

328260[/snapback]

well why do you say this, my post got nothing to do with house :huh:

btw i give it 9/10 not 10/10 cuz some of the synths really look a like and the tracks are sometimes a bit to full if you understand what i mean but still Filteia rocks

• 3 months later...

I was totally astounded when I first heard this album. It felt like the effect of all the old-schooler requests over the years, through the minimal era, the tech-trance era, the progressive era, and the full-on era, for the scene to get back to its magical roots. It was so fun to hear an album that did old-school better in many cases than the old-school! But the more I listened to it I started to find some things that bothered me. One, I didn't like all the blatant references to Pleiadians. My favorite releases are so because they seem to have come from out of the blue, with little reference to anything else. Two, I didn't like that all the tracks started to blend into each other, and that each track tended to lack character and personality because they were all following a similar programme. The third and final thing that bothered me was that I'd have to wait a while to hear the second Filteria album, which, since some time will have passed, will certainly show more individuality, maturity and style in the music, and will surely be one of the greatest things our genre has ever heard.

Playing a track from this album during the most intense part of a set = mindblowing amazingness.

Playing a track like this to build tension = yer off yer rocker sonny.

Does that mean this fails as an album? Not considering I walked around with a big stupid grin on my face yesterday afternoon listening to it. I can imagine the brain beginning to feel a little tender in case of over-listening however. Health warning needed maybe? Prolonged exposure may cause head explosions?

And BTW the break just before each kick-in on operation pulse... *Mmmmmpwah!*

/kisses fingers with palm closed and then opens palm skyward

328277[/snapback]

mmmmm using filteria as advancement in your set, don't know... it's very hard to play a song after filteria that won't drown into the deepness...

to end a set, super off course :)

I was totally astounded when I first heard this album. It felt like the effect of all the old-schooler requests over the years, through the minimal era, the tech-trance era, the progressive era, and the full-on era, for the scene to get back to its magical roots. It was so fun to hear an album that did old-school better in many cases than the old-school! But the more I listened to it I started to find some things that bothered me. One, I didn't like all the blatant references to Pleiadians. My favorite releases are so because they seem to have come from out of the blue, with little reference to anything else. Two, I didn't like that all the tracks started to blend into each other, and that each track tended to lack character and personality because they were all following a similar programme. The third and final thing that bothered me was that I'd have to wait a while to hear the second Filteria album, which, since some time will have passed, will certainly show more individuality, maturity and style in the music, and will surely be one of the greatest things our genre has ever heard.

401664[/snapback]

well that comparing with pleiedeians people always do is I think because filteria copied one thing from them 100%... those little flying psychedelic birds that go from the left to your right speakers... but that's it... so comparing only based on that I didn't like at all too... pleiedieans is also more subtile and tells more a story, it's not based on the kick of who is the fastest of the most melodic but based on creating a concept that keeps you floathing, very trippy that IFO :)

• 4 weeks later...

Got this cd two months ago and really loved it the first many times I heard it. Then a week ago I re-heard IFO. I think the reason why I clearly like this better is that the trax tells more of a story - someone else also mentioned this here - and have some small islands of downs too. This enables me to enjoy the head on moments, whereas Filteria is head on from start to finish.

Anyway, amazing debut. Can't wait to hear his next album presumably coming in a week

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

When I first heard this album I was skeptical, to say the least. It just seemed too messy and noisy. I could not hear anything coherent. I found it strange as the reviews were mostly extremely positive.

Later on, I listened a few more times. Very, very slowly the opening tracks began growing on me. Stars is far and away my favourite track. The later tracks in the album still sound rather chaotic to me but I feel that perhaps my perceptions still need to be opened to the true magic contained within.

I am going to keep on trying. There is potential yet. :)

• 9 months later...

I think it's awesome how at a time like 2004 when Goa seemed completely void of releases, this album, Sky Input rose up and released! Another post 21st Goa album I loved was Chi-A.D.'s Earth Crossing album. V/A - Apsara and Khetzal - Corolle would follow close behind, for me atleast.

I love how Operation Pulse begins and ends... those sounds. Powerful. No other song on the album grabs my attention with its opening and closing melodies the way Operation Pulse does. There is somethng magical and exciting about it to me. It's like a rocket getting ready to take off to the stars. Or a celestial war about to begin. Or... the story in my mind changes at times when listening to it.

Sky Input is better enjoyed as several individual tracks at a time unless you have the energy or are in the mood. I realize many people have heard this album. It's lost luster and allure but those are just perceptions identified through the ego. The more aware is the formless. It's true, many of us went through an infactuation stage when this released. This happens with virtually every album, movie, place, thing, and especially date that impresses us in some way.

Regardless, I remember how amazing this album was when I first heard it. It still impresses me, the sounds/style. But there's more to it, a vision beyond the screaming sounds and rhythms and connecting to that depending on how deep the connection lies is where I find myself most arrested by this debut. I do believe that this has potential being a classic in Goa-Trance one day. This is the most intense and climactic album I have heard in my life. I don't ask for the artist to top this with more intensity or climaxes than this album as a whole, because this album capitalized on it. It's awesome and complete. Most artists would make a mess if they mixed half the sounds used on this album. The artist did a wonderful job piling catchy layers upon one another like streams within streams of sounds within bigger Boss currents. And there was something more elegant, organic, and flowing about Pleiadians I.F.O., but for so many of us to even compare this to such a masterpiece and have wonderful things to say about this is quite a feat.

I see his point Lemmi, cause lot of it sounds like he was forcing and squeezing the melodies just as for sake of melodies where in IFO, the melody stuctures are so fine and smooth that you don't even notice change or transition. If only he made smoother transitions and less melody brain f.cking, this album would be absolute perfection.

Initially I didn't understand this but now I do. One repeating melody at times will have many layers all forming the same note mixed in. I generally like the "thick" effect. However the specific melody structure and transitions could be stronger, the melody structures more developed. We as listeners are and/or were so enamored by the sheer intensity of it all that it was difficult to see the weaker techncial elements in a sense. These being the less strong points in comparison to I.F.O. It takes time to develop a character. I felt Heliopolis was more experienced in the technical department. It was generally better with developing melody structures and transitions. And even then there's room for improvement and further developing melody structure, soundscapaes, transitions, twists and turns, (introducing stronger atmosphere, emotion) and complexity. I think making one or two tracks on this third Filteria album more emotive would be a great idea too. Example: A cross between K.O.B. and Filteria without being cheesy, lighthearted, or too climactic. Rather a powerful, beautiful, tragic and/or motivating number. Naturally it would be danceable too. Just an idea I'm putting out there.

• 1 year later...

The more I listen to this album, the more I like it!!! The revival of the Etnica/Pleiadians style is a fact!

The craziness and psychedelics of this music reminds me totally of the old skool masters in the old days! I gues jannis is the biggest talent we can find is the goatrance scene of these days; off course there is other great music too, but I don't seem to find another man who is capable of making, on such a short notice, so much and such nice mùusic without let it seem boring to the ear and mind (laughing).

I can only say, the more I get to like Etnica and Pleiadians the more I like Filteria! The more I begin to understand Etnica/Pleiadians the more Filteria is getting to me! It seems Jannis is the modern version of the old sound, cristal clear and vivid, his sound is actually never boring me!

The only thing I will never understand is were his inspiration is coming from! I can only say I can be glad he is this good in music and that I could already welcome him on one of my parties here in Belgium!

Fluently, liquid and spacious, Filteria makes the mind feel goa, it makes the body dance and tremble by goa!