Quality Headphones

Hey mates! :)

I'm getting tired of my current headphones, they're shit actually (very cheap ass crap). So i'm planning on getting some high quality headphones in a range of 100 -150 euro's (or maybe even more if necessary).

My plan is also to use them for Dj'ing etc. in the future so this is going to be a long term investment hehe!

Anyone got some nice recommendations on good headphones ?

Thnx already!

Hey mates! :)

I'm getting tired of my current headphones, they're shit actually (very cheap ass crap). So i'm planning on getting some high quality headphones in a range of 100 -150 euro's (or maybe even more if necessary).

My plan is also to use them for Dj'ing etc. in the future so this is going to be a long term investment hehe!

Anyone got some nice recommendations on good headphones ?

Thnx already!

203049[/snapback]

Go to your local music store and check out: AKG or Beyer Dynamic. Both of them ugly like hell, but produce the best sound that I have heard. I am going to get some Beyer Dynamics for reference. Currently I have a set of AKG's.

Hope that helps

//Your Music Making Helpdesk Team ( hehehe ;) )

Go to your local music store and check out: AKG or Beyer Dynamic. Both of them ugly like hell, but produce the best sound that I have heard. I am going to get some Beyer Dynamics for reference. Currently I have a set of AKG's.

Hope that helps

//Your Music Making Helpdesk Team ( hehehe ;) )

203059[/snapback]

Hahah thnx Nemo :) your replies are always of great help!

Will have a look around in my city (Groningen, The Netherlands)

It's hard to get headphones that will be really good for listening music and really good for DJing at the same time. There are pretty much 3 well defined categories when headphones are concerned: DJing, studio and audiophile. Each has it's established top players. This is especially true in DJing where you have only 3-4 distinct top ones to choose from. As for audiophile, Sennheiser is currently at the top by what most people say, including me. They also look good unlike most proffesional headphones you will find :). I own a pair of HD600 (now topped by HD650 as "world best") and they are simply amazing. No matter how good speakers you have, nothing will come close to the sound of headphones if you want to hear all the sounds in music.

Buy anyway back to your question. It's hard to find the perfect balance if you want both audiophile and DJing... although it would be better to get DJ headphones because they can aslo be used for home-listening, while home-listening cans can never be used for DJing. Also take into account other elements like comfort. The best cans in the world can be the worst if you can't wear them for longer than an hour, and this is different for each person.

As I said, I would go for AKG or BeyerDynamic, but for sure Sennheiser do some good headphones as well. I personally dont like the sound of the HD650's but it all depends on what you want to do with them. There was a thread where we discussed this before.

Anyways, have a look at these if you want a reference to the HD650.

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/com/product/sheets/d241.php3

Specs for the Beyer Dynamic DT990 PRO

Transducer type Dynamic

Operating principle Open

Frequency response 5 - 35,000 Hz.

Nominal impedance acc. to IEC 60268-7 250 Ω /System

Nominal SPL acc. to IEC 60268-7 > 96 dB

Nominal THD acc. to IEC 60268-7 < 0.2%

Power handling capacity acc. to IEC 60268-7 100 mW

Sound coupling to the ear Circumaural

Average pressure on ear acc. to IEC 60268-7 3.5 N

Weight without cable 250 g

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/09969#

Specs for Sennheissers HD650

Nominal impedance 300 Ohm

Contact pressure ca. 2,5 N

Weight w/o cable ca. 260g

Jack plug 6,3/3,5 mm stereo

Transducer principle (Headphones) open, dynamic

Ear coupling circumaural

Cable length 3 m

Frequency response (headphones) 10.....39500 Hz

Sound pressure level (SPL) 103 dB (1 Vrms)

THD, total harmonic distortion 0,05 %

The sennheiser's made a the bass sounds very distorted and blurry for me (When played loud, at a low volume they were very accurate)

The beyer dynamic's didnt make my basses blurry and were very accurate even on high volume.

Now, Im not saying that one is the better or not. Before i was swearing on the AKG's, but now I tend to swear on beyer dynamics after testing them.

What gets me in both cases, is the price... Almost 500 euro for both of the above.

By the way, my mate has the sennheiser ones, and he didnt have any bass problems at all, maybe the pair I tested was "broken".

My advice stands, try before you buy, try them as many times as you can. Try with diffrent tracks. Play it loud, play it low... you need to take time when it comes to your ears :)

So i'm planning on getting some high quality headphones in a range of 100 -150 euro's

that will be hard unless you buy second-hand... personally I'm part of "Team Beyer" myself with a pair of DT990s :) That said, be carefull at the impendance specs: usually good phones also have high impendance which means that if you don't have a good dedicated headphone amp, the cans will sound like crap!! Also, DT990s and HD600/650s are OPEN phones which is NOT what you'd want for DJing... In the Beyer range, I know that the DT770s are basically the closed version of the DT990s and have THE strongest bass on the market so if you're a basshead, that's what you'll need.

Also, the top of the range Beyers now are the DT880s, NOT the DT990s (the 880s are more recent in design and concept and have a killer look ;) )

But when all is said and done, nothing beats the Etys: these are phones that you actually plug into your ear canal so the sound is made like 2-3 mm away from your eardrum. This is the closest you can get to pure distortion-free sound reproduction without hooking the music signals directly to your brain ;) I doubt they'd be good for DJ use though :)

I use Sennheiser HD25's for DJing and for portable audio. They block external sound fairly well, sit tight and yet can be worn for hours on end. They're not ugly or huge either - very lightweight. The cable is steel and not copper to make it extra strong. ALL components are replacable - I accidentally stepped on my pair and they weren't harmed at all! They're extremely durable, play VERY loud (really, you'll get a nosebleed before they distort).

The downside is that they're not audiophile headphones, but then basically no closed cans are, and you'll want closed ones for DJ'ing, trust me. These are 159 euro from www.decks-records.com if I remember correctly.

I really love these - the sound is t-i-g-h-t and they do everything right for a pair of DJ headphones, in my opinion. Since my dad managed to break my open-air Philips headphones a while back (don't ask...) I use the HD25's for making music too. They are marketed as professional monitoring headphones by Sennheiser, and this is a very fitting description. There are perhaps better models for this amount of money if you focus only on the studio aspect, but if you want to DJ, I'd say go with the HD25's.

Oh, and DONT buy the HD25SP model, they're not nearly as well built and you'll want to upgrade quite soon if you get those.

I second that ukiro, the HD25's are sooo good. I seriously can't come up with anything bad to say about them. Maybe just that the design is a bit boring, but who cares...

im sure the headphones already mentioned are probably among the best that u can get for that money, but i'm gonna suggest one more model that personally i think does the trick..i have a pair of sennheiser eh2200 and personally i think there's just not enough bass to comfortably mix psy trance (im talking about in the studio and not djing, although i think the lack of bass would also be an issue)..so anyways ive had these headphones for years and i was never happy with them and then i won a pair of Behringer HPS3000 headphones and ive been using them ever since..ok i know most of us here the name Behringer and automatically this doubtful look appears on our face..but i dont know...they're only worth maybe 35 or 40 euros but i must say, im pretty impressed. i dont feel obligated to use them because i got them for free..if i was unhappy with the sound i would have thrown them away a long time ago...but they seem to provide a pretty balanced frequency range...

i dont know, i think they're definately worth a listen..in the end its all about comparison and what sounds right to you..but yeah, give them a try. im sure they cant compete with beyer or AKG headphones, but behringer is putting out some surprisingly good quality products these days (not everything, but a few individual products)

as far as djing goes, i use the new Numark PHX headphones, which i think compare to a lot of technics and sony dj headphones...

anyways my suggestion, find a nice pair of studio headphones that will remain in good shape in your studio, and for djing, another separate pair of headphones that can take some what of a beating...also, dj and studio headphones have different frequency response characteristics, so its best to find a pair of headphones suitable for a specific application..

peace!

as far as djing goes, i use the new Numark PHX headphones, which i think compare to a lot of technics and sony dj headphones...

203125[/snapback]

My girlfriend has a pair of these, and yes they're very nice! In their price range I'm willing to wager that they're as good as they come. Very recommended if your budget is 60-70 euro. They aren't as discreet as the HD25's but don't make you look like the Terminator version of Mickey Mouse either.

But if you have 160 euro to spend... Sennheiser HD25 baby =) I have never had any regrets for this purchase - out of all my "gadgets", and by that I mean cellphone, digital camera, minidisc player etc etc - these headphones are EASILY my best purchase, ever.

Now I recommend anyone shopping for headphones to listen to several models and make a judgement based on need rather than hype. But I just want to say that no DJ shopping for headphones should ever omit the HD25's from the list of candidates. Pioneer and Technics have very potent models too, but for me the choice was easy.

Thanks all of you for this info! :D

I'm almost sure i'm going to get the Senheisser HD25, another friend of mine told me they kick ass for sure... and they are in my budget line!

As soon as I have it, I'll post a reaction here .. really thnx :)

you might want to try them on before you buy them of course. If you've got a big head I suspect the pressure on your ears could be a little strenuous in the long run. But this probably wont be much of a problem B)

you might want to try them on before you buy them of course. If you've got a big head I suspect the  pressure on your ears could be a little strenuous in the long run. But this probably wont be much of a problem  B)

203142[/snapback]

lol @ big head!

Thanks all of you for this info! :D

I'm almost sure i'm going to get the Senheisser HD25, another friend of mine told me they kick ass for sure... and they are in my budget line!

As soon as I have it, I'll post a reaction here .. really thnx :)

203140[/snapback]

Hey, by the way. Media Markt has a good collection of Sennheiser if you want to look at those (If you have one in Groningen).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs and I love them. They sound great loud and they are very comfortable. Plus, they are true flat frequency. I highly suggest them. I think I paid around $120 for em. They might even be cheapher now because I bought these about 5 years ago.

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs and I love them. They sound great loud and they are very comfortable. Plus, they are true flat frequency. I highly suggest them. I think I paid around $120 for em. They might even be cheapher now because I bought these about 5 years ago.

204598[/snapback]

audio technica is good but wht ever u buy do not buy sony mdr v 700 it is not that durable.....after usiing for sometime u will have crack at the housing i am facing the same problem now i am going to buy a pair of sennheiser hd202..

save money from the headphones practice hard and buy blank cds' that is the best thing u can do.. trust me man..haha

audio technica is good but wht ever u buy do not buy sony mdr v 700 it is not that durable.....after usiing for sometime u will have crack at the housing i am facing the same problem now i am going to buy a pair of sennheiser hd202..

save money from the headphones practice hard and buy blank cds' that is the best thing u can do.. trust me man..haha

206128[/snapback]

just buy some sound monitors.. :)