Fractal Glider

Insejn

I'm speechless, I am without speech.

Have anyone heard VA - Rehashed? Well, I have. He has some tracks on it and I almost start crying when I listen to them :) They are so insanely good. His Gremlin Chan Remix is melodic, playful and yet a pure masterpiece. The whole CD is good. In fact, its the best VA cd I've heard this year :) Maybe I should write a review instead. But I suck at it. Why don't you do it DP :)

Fractal Glider is currently #1 :D

What's wrong with Digital Mandala ? I actually find it one of the best psychedelic releases that year ( 2002 ). I truly hope he'd stay psychedelic cause he was pretty good at.

I think Digital Mandala is one of the best albums ever. I really love the way he choses sounds and put them together.

He took some of the Digital Mandala style and mixed it with a clearer sound but never removed the amount of psychedelica. It's kinda hard to know in which direction he has gone because the new tracks I've heard is very different from each other. He also has a new track on VA - Source which is also a good one. But that track missing some crazy synth riffs and instead focus on a clearer sound with nice melodies. I just love it :)

His Gremlin Chan Remix is the last one on VA - Rehashed, its not fast. But it has melodies to die for :) His Etnica - Triptonite remix has everything Parasite and Digital Mandala had/has, and more :) Just check the CD out and you will understand :D

Well I disagree, but hey it's just my opinon.

Digital Mandala was released in 2003 and it was a disappointment to me becuase he lost a lot of the psychedelic elements that were there on the previous album. Better production, but more focus on basslines and "dramatic" breaks instead of perfectly layered sounds and melodies, which is what Parasite was for me. While Digital Mandala was a good album on first listen, it just got more boring after every next listen. There were no tracks like Witch Doctor, Raspy Honks, Colonization and Karmic Implications... which made me lose my head over! There are 2-3 tracks on Digital Mandala that I could say are the best, but easily forgetable...

As for the Rehashed comp. Triptonite remix was a good tracks when I first heard it, but it seems to suffer the same fate as the ones on the last album. Just gets really boring after a few listens... but I'm sure the fact that it was a summer hit has something to do with that too. As for the other tracks... the over-pumped bassline syndrome is surely there. Just too dance-floor for me... and I have no doubt that I would enjoy these tracks on the dancefloor (like Digital Mandala), but now I'm home that's just not it. The rest of the compilation was also very disappointing... tracklist looked promising and I was hoping for a Boom comeback (used to be one of my fav labels), but again they disappoint me.

Sorry to put it so down, that's just how I see it... but you should be happy if you like it no matter what others say ;)

in my case that one of the main reasons that move me,, trying to get a new cd that will fill all my psychadellic needs,,, very very few cds had done it for me... im still looking for the next one....

202940[/snapback]

I found last 2 boom! albums (Rastaliens : Xplore...) (Fractal Glider : Digital Mandala) very boring and disappointed cheesy full on.

Is Reashed compilation better?

I think all intelligent music is good, don't mind if it is cheesy, dark, prog. As long as it better then the music i make i'll just respect&love it.

I don't like full-on & minimalistic, when there is no soul in the sound & it is often without intellgence and too much rockstar-attitude. I also dislike remixes, yuk! Skazi & stuff, every child can learn how to make music like that in 1 year. You just need enough money to take it to a good sound engineer & you got your track.

I do like minimalistic with a lot of soul in it, but that's mostly chill out.

Fractal glider is a genious imo, the fact he sounds a little bit cheezy is irrelevant. If you don't like it, it's just you're ego that is standing in the way to recognize intelligent sound. Try too make music like this dude & the respect will grow every second... :blink: He is on a Simon Posford-like level...

If you don't like it, it's just you're ego that is standing in the way to recognize intelligent sound.  Try too make music like this dude & the respect will grow every second...  :blink:  He is on a Simon Posford-like level...

202971[/snapback]

How lucky for us egoists to have such wise ones point us the way <_<

Taste differs.

This is amusing... I was just listening through rehashed and wondering why this guy is so well-regarded. Owned both albums, ended up getting rid of them when I didn't really grow to like them all that much.

The trip tonite remix is well, an admirable effort I guess... but you can't top Etnica's own remix (now that's an amazing tune)...

The gremlins tune does make me smile though :) I don't know if its 'good' but heh.. it's amusing for sure.

More listening is evidently required... remember: taste is highly subjective. There are no absolutes.

Me and friends drove from Sydney to Melbourne (a fucking long way) to see Arne Schauffhausen play a DJ set.... Fractal Glider played before hand and I hadnt heard of him till then. I was totally blown away. Went up to him to tell him I really liked the tracks he played and asked the stupid question.... what artists was he playing? To which he replied... his own. Awesome.

Personally I loved Digital Mandala - it's slightly cheesy, but because it doesn't really take itself too seriously it's all good. It's the only really good and diverse full on LP I own. It really has a unique sound to his tracks too, a bit lofi but very energetic and fun. His first album didn't do too much for me though.

Gonna check out re-hashed for sure. Pity they don't press vinyl lp's anymore though!

To Basilisk - you really sold digital mandala Scott? damn... I had to beg Matt Boom to release that on vinyl at all! ;-)

I don't understand how you can say that Digital Mandala is cheesy :) To me it's what psytrance is all about. I find stuff like Zorba and Yahel to be cheesy :P Maybe I got the word cheesy all wrong.

Fractal Glider is a genious.

well, to me cheesy just means how much music relies on gimmicky sounds, movie samples, well-known melodies/chord changes, and predictable breaks and climaxes.

so let's say fractal glider is cheesier than double dragon, double dragon is cheesier than midimiliz, which isn't cheesy at all, but might be called "boring" or "monotonous" by some...

so cheesy isn't necessarily bad, when it is done with some sense of style and humour it can be nice. the problem with Yahel is he takes himself very seriously while his music is blatantly cheesy. (which is why I also dislike I.M.)

the trip tonite remix was the worst shit i have ever heard. never thought he would sink this low to destroy a nice track! there is already a REMIX of this track.. by ETNICA.. and nothing will overcome that track no matter how hard you try!

this full-on track with trip tonite similar but worse melodies is horrible!!

just my coin

Huh, and I actually hoped that he might do interesting remix of it. Shame. But maybe it is your opinion and taste. Maybe, I'd like it, who knows. To be honest, I was really expecting a lot from Rehashed compilation considering the artists and I quite like idea of remixing good songs, no matter how good they were. Just that is not remixes of Astral Projection and album Ten that was pretty dissapointing. I don't know, I'll check soon this comp and see it for myself.