How many good tracks you need,...

Lepton

I've heard people complaining a lot lately that most new releases are crap and that 2004 was/is a shitty year. Well I dissagree I found it a really good year many good releases and new labels. More styles, more nightmusic. Now I asked myself how do you rate a cd. How many good tracks you need before you buy a cd. I have like 500 psytrance cd's and maby 20cd's which have 5 tracks I really really like (that doesn't mean the other track are bad, just not as good). So I'm happy with 3 good (I mean good not avarage)/outstanding tracks since I know I can't expect 5 tracks I really like every cd.

So How many good tracks it takes before you :

-would say "now thats a good cd, I 'll buy it right away"?

-review it as a good cd?

It really depends how good a "good" track is! :rolleyes: Sounds a bit strange, I know. But for me if one track is over the top and has the special twist I like, I'll buy a CD or compilation even if the rest of the tracks is just so-so or even bad. But if a track is just normal good and not especially stunning then it needs about 3 "normal" tracks to make me buy a CD.

I've become quite a finicky customer over the years. Back in 1995 / 1997, I'd buy a CD with 3/10 good tracks, but now I only open my wallet for a minimum of 8/10 outstanding tunes. But don't forget that there were much less releases in the mid-90's !

Which leads to very few records for this year :

- Infected Mushroom : IM the supervisor

- The Misted Muppet : From the Legend

- Synsun : Symphonic Adventures

And planned before the end of the year :

- Talpa : The Art of being Non

- Filteria : Sky input

J.

if there are more than 2 bad tracks, I dont buy it

If there are 2 killers or 4 decent tracks I buy an album...

But Gaëtan, I think as a dj you are more picky then as a "normal" listener... A very good track on a very bad cd can be gold for a dj because other djs don't want to buy that cd because it's too bad...

How many good tracks you need before you buy a cd.

Like Tatsu said, it depends a LOT on the degree of "goodness"... one album could have a lot of nice tracks but nothing truly outstanding whereas another album could have a lot of bad tracks and one or 2 trully killer tracks...

There's also the factor of how a CD "grows on you": some tracks don't seem special at first but after repeated listens you "get it" and find them great, other tracks seem stunning at first and fade away after a few listens (most of those tracks rely on "cheap tricks" like climaxes and catchy melodies)

So it's not easy to call something good or bad... I've always dreamed of having a reviews section split into "reviews after a few listens" and "reviews after a few months". Now the tricky part is that you usually make the decision of buying and reviewing something after a few listens so people reading your reviews judge the album also on the "now" factor. In practical terms, I didn't like MFG at first but after a few months/ years their stuff growed on me and now they're one of my all-time favorite bands. On the other hand, I loved The Misted Muppet album on first few listens but now find it a bit too formulaic and boring...

I've become quite a finicky customer over the years. Back in 1995 / 1997, I'd buy a CD with 3/10 good tracks, but now I only open my wallet for a minimum of 8/10 outstanding tunes. But don't forget that there were much less releases in the mid-90's !

what I don't understand is how was it possible for you to find albums with 3/10 good tracks in the mid 90s and albums with 8/10 good tracks these days? :)

It varies. I recently bought 'VA - Source' purely because that Fractal Glider track is so damn good! Rest of the CD is so-so. I have pretty high standards. Maybe an average of 6-7 good tracks out of 9. Thanks to mp3 I never end up buying really bad CDs :)

what I don't understand is how was it possible for you to find albums with 3/10 good tracks in the mid 90s and albums with 8/10 good tracks these days? :)

201546[/snapback]

Do you mean my proposition should be reversed to more accurately reflect the downfall of Psy since the glorious heydays ? :D

Well, anyway, from a more down-to-earth point of view it is also linked to my personal money income... And I did succeed in finding 8 germs in the albums I mentioned. I know lots of people found those three pure crap, but hey, personal tastes... :P

J.

If I find 1 track to be extremely great I'll buy the album/compilation, and most of the times, I find the album/compi. to be quiet good in the end, after some listenings.

That's all folks :P

Take care now, bye bye then

1 really good track is required and enough for me to buy an album. (like Holymen's C4... one great track, the rest of everything he's ever made is shit)

I will also buy an album that has 1 or 2 magnificient tracks. But, really, those albums/comps that have few good tracks mostly have other good or average tracks as well, so I would surely buy such album. Very rarely there were albums I hated whole( Delta - Send In, Send Back, one good track, X-Dream - Irritant, 2 average tracks, Synchro - Drugs, one good track, Intergalactic - Outer Galaxy, boring childish crap...etc ) The point is that good artists can't deliver utter trash, unless they are pure amateurs or have evry bad idea in that point ( X-Dream for example ).

When I buy a CD, I want to be able to listen from one end to the other and enjoy the whole way. Not every track must rock, but some must, and no more than 2 tracks should suck. I try to buy cd's with 75%-80% good (good = at LEAST worth listening to) content or better. Labels that can consistently put out solid cd's earn my respect and I will take the trouble to check all their releases.

!!!NO FILLER!!! Filler sucks. I don't pay for filler. 1 (or 2) awesome tracks on a boring cd is worth nothing to me (I'm not a DJ).