Why do you think minimal is dead?

Guest L25

@L25 check out some of my favorite artists, like Gregh on Earth, Datacult, Xenomorph, Derango, Spindrift and you will notice, that I am not a person that likes "fluff".

Also I already mentioned in another thread, that I don't like AstralProjection either and that I think Hallucinogen is highly overrated. Same for IM and others which you are probably reffering to as old school.

There has always been dark, twisted, weired night music, don't think that back in the beginning of the 90th we were dancing to fluffy stuff all night.

There was wild and crazy dancefloors, as I personally haven't experienced with any minimal music.

:)

You can dislike something as a personal taste, but to call it childish music, is a bit harsh, and also a bit imature imo. How can you call them kids?

200725[/snapback]

You are right, and i am sorry for that.

And i must add that i dont find oldschool as a style childish.

@L25 check out some of my favorite artists, like Gregh on Earth, Datacult, Xenomorph, Derango, Spindrift and you will notice, that I am not a person that likes "fluff".

Also I already mentioned in another thread, that I don't like AstralProjection either and that I think Hallucinogen is highly overrated. Same for IM and others which you are probably reffering to as old school.

There has always been dark, twisted, weired night music, don't think that back in the beginning of the 90th we were dancing to fluffy stuff all night.

There was wild and crazy dancefloors, as I personally haven't experienced with any minimal music. 

200728[/snapback]

Eleria just like you, i dont like fluff music too, and i never said that you may like this kind of music, but sorry anyway

And i believe that you used your words very nicely( i myself didnt :o ) and i agree with you, there has always been dark,twisted, weird music, althoug "dark" to me doesnt mean that cant be fluff or lame( like this neo Dark-full on, wich i think it is lame...)

I guess i am someone that usualy dont like fast, melodic music, but calling it "childish"....... yeah i was wrong

is the cd lull from antix considered minimal? Then for sure minimal is not dead, still a lot of great minimal things being released occasionaly

like haldolium´s track Salt, in the last cd... sounds minimal to me...

In general I dont like full on.. too much noises, so each sound is not very important, as there are a lot of things on top.. minimal, on the other hand, makes each sound very important... repetition and minimality is very useful in specific situations.. take ethnic and native rituals, using minimalistic sounds, repetitive drums, with a very powerful effect on people´s mind...

I also dont like this dark stuff like xenomorph, digital talk and others (like releases from parvati recs), for me it sounds like thought-less noise noise noise all over... I preffer proggy stuff, housy music like phony orphants, antix, vibrasphere, fusion and johnson, side a, or more powerful stuff like freq, etc.... I also like a lot ambient stuff (ott, abakus, etc)

One thing I notice on this thread, is this cliche of ´the scene is dead´... Dont you realize that the scene is dead only if you think it is?! If you think it is more alive than ever, than you will see it as more alive than ever.. "The Prover proves what the Thinker thinks"....

Another thing I notice is people talking about other genres they dont like as if it was the worst thing everr ("Im glad its over")... pfff... Cant you accept different tastes for different people? I in general (with some exceptions) dont like full on or dark stuff, but I dont want it to be over, because I know some people like it.. So I just dont buy it, dont go to parties that only play it, and go to the chill out when there is something like that playing.. You guys need more understanding, letting people have different opinions

Well, I can only defend myself, when I said I'm glad it's over, I meant that I'm glad it's over SO something new and better can emerge. What I did not mean is that I'm glad someone loses something that they like. It's just that sometimes it at least appears so that these subgenres kind of take over the whole scene and if you don't really like that particular subgenre then there may not be much to get excited about for an unknown period of time.

No problem with different tastes in music, really not. I got friends that are not into electronic music at all, so what.

But in the high time of minimal it seemed to me, as if the minimal fans had a problem with accepting that there is people with other tastes too. There where parties held under the label of psychedelic trance, that where complete minimal parties and it was hard to find anything else. For me it was overpowering and that's why I am still glad it is over.

Not minimal as a genre (I wrote in my first post as well, that I don't think it is dead), but the time where minimal had taken over the psychedelic trance dancefloors.

peace :)

But in the high time of minimal it seemed to me, as if the minimal fans had a problem with accepting that there is people with other tastes too

200774[/snapback]

oh yeah sure, this ´exophobia´ (would that word exist?) happens in all genres... and I dont agree with it...

I guess we all agree that whenever there is a big unbalance, for whatever genre, it is not very nice.... I also wouldnt enjoy if only prog stuff existed... In many cases we profit from diversity in this world, dont we?

once again, as for the thread main question: I dont think minimal is dead... But even if what happened to it can be considered ´dead´, I dont mind, because Im very happy with the occasional excellent releases nowadays...

and indeed, peace :)

ahh, how can one forget those insane days when the battle between MINIMAL and PSY raged on and on and on. Now, it is rare to find minimal mentioned anywhere. It's all about progressive, alot of which can be classified more accurately as minimal, or whatever, but definately NOT progressive as represented by sounds by such artists as Freq, Andromeda, Antix, The higher human form etc.

Anyways, anyone remember Beat Bizarre - Lewd album? It's a fuckin masterpiece of the minimal genre as I best defined it. Their new album I would more accurately classify as progressive, which also is very good.

Oh, and thinking about current minimal acts AKD also comes to mind for me. They have some very nice minimalish sounding tracks.

last edit: np - Beat Bizarre - brain drain (rmx) God, this track gives me an orgasm.

Minimal suck! I don't think there's nothing to do with Psy/Goa at all.

No melodies,no energy,no madness.

MAXIMAL 4 EVER!!!

200932[/snapback]

Ah you see... you are wrong

Minimal has melodies( but not chessy), a lot of energy and especially has a lot of madness. The problem is that you cant see that, but there is, i know it.

And i think that music in general are much better when they are "minimal".

Emptiness is soooo profound, and i am glad that i can understand that

To me is even more psychedelic, introspective experience.

The real "underground feeling" is in Minimal

Sorry for those who cant see that

No the underground feeling is in Minimal Psy because Full ON psy has been commercialized ;) Anyways, this is an endless discussion about personal taste and thats all.....

Now, it is rare to find minimal mentioned anywhere. It's all about progressive, alot of which can be classified more accurately as minimal, or whatever, but definately NOT progressive as represented by sounds by such artists as Freq, Andromeda, Antix, The higher human form etc.

200791[/snapback]

Hmm, I'm having major troubles understanding where these genre definitions come from.

I mean the dictionary definition for progressive is as follows:

# Moving forward; advancing.

# Proceeding in steps; continuing steadily by increments: progressive change.

What comes to progressive music I think the first definition can be ruled out. Obviously progressive trance is very much formulaic and tied into certain fixed form.

And the second would seem to fit much better with music that adds layer after layer and continuously builds, again this definition would seem to fit much better with other types of trance than what we call progressive.

Then again the artists you mentioned could very well be called minimal in my opinion, they have less layers and things going on than goa or full on etc, thus minimal?

The problem I have with minimal is that instead of minimal it to me seems to often mean more like nothingness, that is that there is absolutely nothing going on in a track... At least that's what I think of lots of the minimal that came out around 2000.

hehe, you bring up a good point Redeemer, which is it's real fuckin hard to argue about these things when people don't even have a consensus on the definitions being used for words like minimal, progressive, and such.

Then again the artists you mentioned could very well be called minimal in my opinion, they have less layers and things going on than goa or full on etc, thus minimal?

The problem I have with minimal is that instead of minimal it to me seems to often mean more like nothingness, that is that there is absolutely nothing going on in a track... At least that's what I think of lots of the minimal that came out around 2000.

201054[/snapback]

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, the groups I refered to, Freq, Andromeda, etc. I actually meant were progressive groups, and that there are many other besides them that are definately NOT progressive as most people think of the genre. There's so many unique sounds within "progressive" (read: not Fullon or Goa) that these labels do absolutely no justice in defining these groups.

But for sake of discussion, I define minimal as having not MUCH sounds, in a relative term. So I don't usually think of "nothingness" when I say minimal. So I may be referring to minimal groups, which others may consider progressive nowadays.

Anyways, instead of throwing labels around, I draw some definite lines in terms of sound type as thus:

classic progressive: Freq, Andromeda, Chromosome, Frogacult, Native Radio, Ticon, Son kite, Atmos, etc.

more precussion based progressive, minimalish: Yumade, Paste, Planet BEN - Test, etc. [oh yeah, and Pope of Gegga, housish progressive psy. haha. real psychedelic stuff]

I give Tetraktys and Sensient their own categories.

And those crazy polish doing their own trippy shit - Bigwigs, Tromesa, etc.

I can categorize much more groups but I'm depressed about the US elections and so I'll think I'll go cry somewhere now.

Cheers

# Moving forward; advancing.

# Proceeding in steps; continuing steadily by increments: progressive change.

I just LOVE that someone finally opened up their eyes to this silly naming of a genre. Not much needed to be added, I agree with you fully!

On the other hand though, this new style DID move forward and created something new... I would call these groups which people love to call progressive Tech Trance, because that is what it mostly is. Either that or Techy House with a psychedelic twist. The latter is too long to say though, so someone came up with the CRAPPY naming of that genre "Progressive".

Progressive is so wide, and its used in ALL the electronic genres... Prog Techno, Prog Trance, Prog House, Prog Psy, Prog POP....

Or?! ;)

On the other hand though, this new style DID move forward and created something new...

In other words it progressED. In that case it should be called progressed trance, not progressive trance, because imo the music itself that we call progressive isn't such. It is not moving forward but standing still. It doesn't continue steadily by increments, because it never has many sounds at once, more like minimalistic? :huh::)

In other words it progressED. In that case it should be called progressed trance, not progressive trance, because imo the music itself that we call progressive isn't such. It is not moving forward but standing still. It doesn't continue steadily by increments, because it never has many sounds at once, more like minimalistic?  :huh:  :)

201141[/snapback]

I wouldnt go as far as calling it minimalistic, especially not acts like Ticon, Son Kite etc, its more techno with a touch of trance, somewhat psychedelic hehe. Well, for me the word progressive does not apply at all as I stated. But its what the people in general use, so I will have to use it too haha :)