Compilations :

Eclipse - Journey In Permanence And Impermanence

Kumharas - Ambient Journey

Mystery Of The Yeti

Mystery Of The Yeti 2

Twelve - 12 Keys Trip

Mystery Of The Thirteen Crystal Skulls

Secret Of The Thirteen Crystal Skulls

I think that concept depends on the mood and atmosphere artists set us to be. I think that lots of albums have concept of presenting some kind of phillosophy or trip or vision in a certain way. I like when everything makes sense without too much wanking.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why isn't more concept cds released? I mean like 'VA - Mystery of the 13 crystal skulls' where all the tracks have a certain feeling/theme to them. It's kinda hard to explain but if you listen to that cd you'll hear that there is a main theme throughout the whole cd. 'VA - Broken' is another example (maybe not a good example but still) of an excellent concept cd where a more dnb/breakbeat sound is the main theme. Another example is the 'VA - Twelve' cd. I would love to see more of that kind of releases. It's not that hard to come up with ideas. I mean, take some famous artists and let them make a really scary track, viola, we have a dark concept cd :) Imagine artists like Hallucinongen, Logic Bomb, Ticon, Psysex for example making something they otherwise shouldn't. It would be very cool to hear that. Make an artists make a sound they usually wouldn't make. I'm really sick of the regular VA cd released almost every single day.

Your thoughts?

200407[/snapback]

Good Question Insejn, I think that a lot of us, myself included have been wondering this for a long time, and for some reason the decline in theme/concept based albums seemed to coincide the decline of melodic psy. For the most part at least. To me the minimal sound was inherently dark, and after a while theres only so much you can do with the "dark" feel. Concept based albums were one of the biggest things that attracted me to the scene. Take Colorbox - Train to Chroma City for example, an older one with an interesting concept. The album works like a relentless hypnotic train trip through a series of cities, each city a different color and the tracks correspond to the color, the only time I've seen this theme structure but with a lot of potential I think.

Anyway, I don't think someone can dispute that this genre has some of the most compelling ideas and music anywhere, its always felt like the music to an unknown sci-fi to me. Pick up almost any Psy album and you're gonna find a few tracks at least, based on some really fascinating concepts, as well as some kick ass music. Samples I think are the difficult thing. I think they're looked as giving a less mature sound, which may be true, but . Anyone can slap together some random "cool sounding samples" and thus a sloppy sounding album, but trying to make something with a cohesive feel is harder. I don't get why a concept album would be hard to understand though?? Melodic is slowy on the rise with an even more polished sound, and I think with it more good ideas.

either I got it wrong, or EP got it wrong....

from what I understood, the prog artists arent making full on tracks, but making REMIXES OF fullon tracks (and vice versa).. totally different....

so it would not be something that they dont like, but rather making some other genre INTO something they like...

Hi sherlockalien, it was a bit confusing in prOfanes post, because he was saying:

It could be a compilation with progressive artists making full on or vice versa – or it could be a compilation with progressive artists collaborating with full on artists to make something in between.

And then he was quoting the iboga web-site, which said:

The idea of the project is that a number of selected artists from the full on scene are getting into making some strong remixes of some known progressive artists, and the other way around. Some selected progressive artists will make more progressive mixes of the fullon track.

It seems that both EP and you got it right, just that you are referring to different parts of prOfane's post.

All is good :)

• 4 weeks later...

Take Colorbox - Train to Chroma City for example, an older one with an interesting concept.  The album works like a relentless hypnotic train trip through a series of cities, each city a different color and the tracks correspond to the color, the only time I've seen this theme structure but with a lot of potential I think. 

Hi Brandon. Thank you for your kind words :-)

It was a good concept and actually Hypnotic Records asked us if they could use it for future releases. I guess they never did !

Kenneth Abildgaard