More concept CDs

Insejn

Redeemer, I understand, when you say you wouldn't like something on the dancefloor, what you "hate" at home. That is the same for me.

I do happen to like this sounds at home too, they are just too intense to listen to for a long time. If I don't have space to dance and transform the intensity of the track into movement, it stresses me out after about 5-6 tracks.

With "stage effect" I mean the phenomenon of all people on the dancefloor facing the same direction and looking at the artist. For me it destroyes the vibe on the dancefloor and creates an atmosphere of seperation between dancers and artist/DJ.

The best parties I have been to were where you could hardly figure out where the DJ was and where DJ and dancers are on the same level: the dancefloor!!

:)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah... and when I wrote "agree" in my earlier post, I didn't mean with my taste of music, but that there is a difference between dancefloor and home.

@ eleira:

Thanks for the info. :) I really can't get into progressive music, so not only our opinions but also our tastes are very different. Maybe it is also because of this, that you don't dig the idea of concept albums? It is maybe not suitable for progressive and minimal music? Just a theory btw...

@Redeemer: Stress was maybe not the best word to use in this context, but the meaning of it is applyable to music.

Stress: "A mentally or emotionally disruptive or upsetting condition occurring in response to adverse external influences". When I am sitting at home and don't want to dance, music which is made for dancing can be an "adverse external influence" and, in my case, it can lead to a "disruptive or upsetting condition."

But hey in the end it is just words we use to describe and explain personal feelings and it is a bit difficult and limiting sometimes.

Same with the word "problem" (which I think I didn't use, but anyways...)

What's really a problem is that people like Bush making descisions concerning the whole world. ....

Nevertheless I find it at least disturbing and counterproductive for the psychedelic trance scene, when the music becomes more homelistening-friendly. As I said earlier, I think, that that is only good for CD sales. The thing is that people like me, which mainly love the music for dancing, are not the big CD buyers. People that buy CDs are the homelisteners. So if artists/labels want to raise their sales they have to consider that and for me this is one reason, why there are less and less crazy dancefloor tunes being produced and well yes, for me it is kind of a problem, because it destroyes what psychedelic trance used to be about.

@Tatsu: non of the artists I mentioned above is progressive or minimal, so I don't really get your point. You should maybe check some of the stuff out. I don't like minimal at all and very rarely progressive.

:lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol: Sorry, I'm too stupid. I've only read no melodies so I thougth it has to be minimal. But I'm completely wrong of course. Heard some samples now and it's dark night music. Still no my style btw.

@Redeemer: Stress was maybe not the best word to use in this context, but the meaning of it is applyable to music.

Stress: "A mentally or emotionally disruptive or upsetting condition occurring in response to adverse external influences".  When I am sitting at home and don't want to dance, music which is made for dancing can be an "adverse external influence" and, in my case, it can lead to a "disruptive or upsetting condition."

But hey in the end it is just words we use to describe and explain personal feelings and it is a bit difficult and limiting sometimes.

Yes. For me it was for instance stressing to be in the army partly because I couldn't listen to music very often and I have been used to listen to it all day every day. :)

Same with the word "problem" (which I think I didn't use, but anyways...)

What's really a problem is that people like Bush making descisions concerning the whole world. ....

That's why I put a questionmark in there because I was unsure which term would best describe it, I thought you saw these issues as "problems" in music.

Nevertheless I find it at least disturbing and counterproductive for the psychedelic trance scene, when the music becomes more homelistening-friendly. As I said earlier, I think, that that is only good for CD sales. The thing is that people like me, which mainly love the music for dancing, are not the big CD buyers. People that buy CDs are the homelisteners. So if artists/labels want to raise their sales they have to consider that and for me this is one reason, why there are less and less crazy dancefloor tunes being produced and well yes, for me it is kind of a problem, because it destroyes what psychedelic trance used to be about.

200576[/snapback]

I like artists like Hallucinogen, Pleiadians, Chi-A.D., Ra, Dimension 5, Transwave, Man With No Name, Cosmosis, Tandu etc etc etc. I don't know if you find that home listening or party music but I know I'd love to hear that stuff on either occasion be it home or a party. :)

I agree very much in both opinion and taste with eleria.

And Redeemer, I did like a few of the act's you just mentioned back in the days.

Most of it a bit dated by now, but nice morning music at the time.

But I can understand you don't enjoy going to parties much, because if you try to play those artists in the night nowadays you would usually quickly empty the dancefloor.

I also think that some of the moring music is ok to listen to at home sometimes, but it's only a small part of a party for me. If the vibe is built up well during the night you can get away with a lot in the morning. Morning music can't make a party for me anyway.

And I think i maybe mentioned the word problem.

And yes, it is for me a problem if everyone is making music to be released and the labels want to release CD's that is suitable for home listening as well.

You do make compromises if you create music that you think should be suitable for home listening. The original intention with trance was to make music that people could dance like crazy to, and that has dissapeared in many cases. For me that is a "problem" because i have to suffer manytimes in parties with overproduced music that totally lack party spirit in my ears.

Back to the topic though, I'm not against concept albums as such, but like I said, producing an album after a concept seems very limiting for creativity for me at least.

If someone manage to make a good one, i'd say well done, but it's not something I'm missing for sure.

I wish people just concentrated on making music that people can really blast to on the dancefloor, and didn't bother with trying to seem cool, clever or super talanted.

It's far to little of that today IMO.

And Redeemer, I did like a few of the act's you just mentioned back in the days.

Most of it a bit dated by now, but nice morning music at the time.

But I can understand you don't enjoy going to parties much, because if you try to play those artists in the night nowadays you would usually quickly empty the dancefloor.

Yes you are absolutely right, that's exactly why I said that when I go to party I have to settle for whatever it is they're playing, because I just don't like new psy (with a few exceptions of course). For me it's basically all the same whether they play commercial trance or new psy because I can't get excited from either one.

I can only image what it would be like to be in your positoin.

I was dancing to those tunes 100's of times in parties back then, and managed of course to get well fed up with them already then.

To hear them at a party now can at best feel like a curiousity or little flashback if it's at the right moment. Most of the time I gues I would go: WTF is this!

Sure the bands you mentioned was surely from the peak of goa trance and sounds very inspired but of course they can't be played over and over again year after year.

But it was also mostly morning music released at the time, and i think it would been very hard to play a good night set with only released music at the time. The night music always been more underground, until maybe recently.

Yep, I got into the whole party thing (what's possible here anyways) too late I guess. I did see Hallucinogen, Astral Projection, Infected Mushroom, Man with no Name etc live a couple of years ago and I thought it was great, even if you guys mind the stage effect or whatever, or think that you can't play a set with such artists at night. :) Maybe I just haven't learned yet to be picky enough.

Hi Redeemer, Spindrift basically said already the same I was thinking, when I read the artist names in your post: It has been good morning music at it's time.

Nowadays I would consider it "homelistening", yes.

Generally morning/daytime music is quite ok for homelistening (like I mentioned earlier with the finnish sounds), but for me as well that is only one part of the party and I find it very important that there are dark/wiered/twisted/crazy tracks for the night time as well. :)

Hi Redeemer, Spindrift basically said already the same I was thinking, when I read the artist names in your post: It has been good morning music at it's time.

Nowadays I would consider it "homelistening", yes.

Generally morning/daytime music is quite ok for homelistening (like I mentioned earlier with the finnish sounds), but for me as well that is only one part of the party and I find it very important that there are dark/wiered/twisted/crazy tracks for the night time as well.  :)

200598[/snapback]

Yep maybe I see your point, maybe I don't. Perhaps there's this sort of separation in the music these days. Maybe that's why I really don't like most new psy. The crazy party music is missing something that for me separates music from just noise, and the homelistening stuff just doesn't have enough to get you "there".

@ eleira:

Thanks for the info.  :)  I really can't get into progressive music, so not only our opinions but also our tastes are very different. Maybe it is also because of this, that you don't dig the idea of concept albums? It is maybe not suitable for progressive and minimal music? Just a theory btw...

200574[/snapback]

A far out theory though ;) What kind of music you put into a concept CD doesn't matter one bit. A concept is a concept no matter what the music is. Polka could be on a concept CD ;)

When that is said I personally got to slaughter the T.I.P. World concept CD's that liberately sell drugs as a cool thing. What's the point? To converet more kids into drugs? Maybe Raja & Co. need to get clean for once to see what they are doing? I have zero respect for this kind of manipulation... It's one step down from being a drug dealer in my opinion.

But concept CD's as a "concept" is cool with me. I just can't stand 99% of all the cliche's in the full-on/psy scene these days such as Aliens (for the 1.000.0001 time - get over it - they are too far away for you to "see" them), Drugs (yeah yeah we got it... you like drugs - so what?), P.L.U.R (The hippies died out in the late 60's early 70's - move on!!!).

I am prepared for flaming :-)

I just can't stand 99% of all the cliche's in the full-on/psy scene these days such as Aliens (for the 1.000.0001 time - get over it - they are too far away for you to "see" them), Drugs (yeah yeah we got it... you like drugs - so what?), P.L.U.R (The hippies died out in the late 60's early 70's - move on!!!)

couldn't agree more

because tell me a story.

200712[/snapback]

That's really got nothing to do with a concept CD.

A concept CD is a CD where there's a overall theme connected to the CD. It could be to save the world, promote various drugs, free Tibet, Zodiac's ect. ect.

I’d love to see some more ”melting pot” releases. Releases, where we hear some artists try something new, as way to many artists are stuck in one style in my opinion.

It could be a compilation with progressive artists making full on or vice versa – or it could be a compilation with progressive artists collaborating with full on artists to make something in between.

I read a few months back on Ibogas website that they have something somewhat similar in the works actually – a Digiboga 2.

Copy/paste from their site:

"The idea of the project is that a number of selected artists from the full on scene are getting into making some strong remixes of some known progressive artists, and the other way around. Some selected progressive artists will make more progressive mixes of the fullon track. The artists to mention in this project till now is: Pixel and Sub6, Orion, Tristan, Son Kite, Vibrasphere, Antix, Freq, Phony Orphants, Beat Bizarre and still more to come. So prepare you self for something new and border braking."

Sounds very interesting. Digiboga 1 was also quite nice by the way, and also had a concept behind it (combining the cream of the crop from the 2 labels Digital Structures and Iboga)

"The idea of the project is that a number of selected artists from the full on scene are getting into making some strong remixes of some known progressive artists, and the other way around. Some selected progressive artists will make more progressive mixes of the fullon track. The artists to mention in this project till now is: Pixel and Sub6, Orion, Tristan, Son Kite, Vibrasphere, Antix, Freq, Phony Orphants, Beat Bizarre and still more to come. So prepare you self for something new and border braking."

200714[/snapback]

Now we're talking :) I'll have to keep my eyes on that one. Interesting indeed.

I’d love to see some more ”melting pot” releases. Releases, where we hear some artists try something new, as way to many artists are stuck in one style in my opinion.

It could be a compilation with progressive artists making full on or vice versa – or it could be a compilation with progressive artists collaborating with full on artists to make something in between.

200714[/snapback]

I fail to see why an artists should use his/her time creating music that he/she dont like? In my opinion the point og making music is to do what you like and not sell your "soul" to the highest bidder ;) If I had to make full On I would hate it simply because I cant stand Full On. And believe me the result would not be good then !

Just becasue some prog. artists make full on or virsa versa it wont really be something new. It will still be Full On or progressive. Why not do something completely new instead? Something innovative and interesting and not just the same old boring formulas? And to blend full On with Progressive is not really what I consider innovative.. It's already been done and to me (of course) it sound pretty dull!

Let people create what they like and if you dont like it then dont listen to it and dont buy it (yeah as if anyone buy music anyway).

I fail to see why an artists should use his/her time creating music that he/she dont like?  In my opinion the point og making music  is to do what you like and not sell your "soul" to the highest bidder ;)  If I had to make full On I would hate it simply because I cant stand Full On.  And believe me the result would not be good then !

Just becasue some prog. artists make full on or virsa versa it wont really be something new.  It will still be Full On or progressive.  Why not do something completely new instead?  Something innovative and interesting and not just the same old boring formulas?  And to blend full On with Progressive is not really what I consider innovative.. It's already been done and to me (of course) it sound pretty dull!

Let people create what they like and if you dont like it then dont listen to it and dont buy it (yeah as if anyone buy music anyway).

200736[/snapback]

I didn’t write that the artists should make music that they don’t like – of course the artists should be interested in the project, and ready to try something (although perhaps only slightly) new. And full on and progressive was just a suggestion. It could be “dark psy” vs. IDM, breaks vs. heavy metal, or something completely different.

Your last statement seemed pointless in my opinion by the way. Of course I only buy what I like, and yes – there are still some people out there who buy music. I personally buy somewhere between 4 and 10 releases each month.

Well, maybe if the full-on artists was interested in making progressive they would do it?

Your statement only reminds me of the attitude of some labels in the trance scene in the end of the 90's when trance was rapidly going out of fashion, and sales started dropping.

Then they tell their artists that now trance is dead, and we like to release something different from now on.

Thing is that they didn't think about that they had to replace their stable of artists, and though they could instruct them to make the sound they were after.

Complete bullskit if you ask me, the artists should do what the feel like doing.

Sure, it's great if they do something completly fresh corssing over genres.

That doesn't happen because you or a label tell them to.

It's probably more likely to happen with someone who don't care att all about other opinions about their music I belive.